Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-22-2019, 05:56 PM

Biking in Vermont

Folks,

Planning to head to the Green Mountain State late summer (Sept/Oct) for the annual guy's weekend. Theme is going to be a mix of IPA's and biking (we tend to focus on mixed terrain - less traveled roads, dirt roads, maybe even some singletrack - think D2R2)

Hill Farmstead and Kingdom Trails are tentatively on the docket, but as we'll be driving up from Boston, Harpoon in Windsor is probably going to be a stop.

Looking for biking ideas in the Northeast Kingdom, mixed terrain preferred.

Thoughts?
Old 03-22-2019, 06:20 PM
aka RAEKWON

I take it you have seen this -

http://www.bikepacking.com/routes/gr...ravel-growler/
Old 03-22-2019, 06:20 PM
Classics Fan

I haven't done either, but you should try to get routes for the (now defunct) Dirty 40 and Rasputitsa events. They are/were both well regarded.

If you're going to be around Harpoon, you should ride Ascutney, just because. Check out routes for "Dirty Road-a-coaster" (closer to Windsor) and "vermont overland grand prix" out of Woodstock.

I'm more familiar with the riding out of Norwich, which there are some great routes. If you're headed that way (Rt. 89 is nearby), I could give you ride ideas.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:25 PM
Bike Guy

Look for the old Rapha Gentleman’s Race Route out of Hanover NH. It spent 100+ of the 130 miles in VT, loads of gravel. I recall having no issues with the 27mm paves at the time.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:29 PM

Yeah, some of the best riding is in the Upper Valley. Chutes, ladders and lots of smooth dirt.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:47 PM
but not really

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetoclimb View Post
Look for the old Rapha Gentleman’s Race Route out of Hanover NH. It spent 100+ of the 130 miles in VT, loads of gravel. I recall having no issues with the 27mm paves at the time.
That was a fun day!

Look at Stowe area too. Or Burlington. Plenty of breweries and more services than KT.
Old 03-23-2019, 03:19 AM

Thx

Thanks all! Lots of great ideas.
Old 03-23-2019, 03:38 AM

I have no riding experience but I can say confidently that Burlington, VT remains my all-time favorite layover in the US. It is just beautiful terrain and scenery and the size of the town suits me perfectly.

I'd love to go and spend a week exploring by bike.

I also had the impression that gravel rules the terrain if you want to get off the major roads so I'd plan tires and gears for that surface. I could be wrong though. But flying in and out let me believe lots of minor roads are unpaved.
Old 03-23-2019, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
I also had the impression that gravel rules the terrain if you want to get off the major roads so I'd plan tires and gears for that surface.
Yes, exactly what we are looking for.
Old 03-23-2019, 06:33 AM

Up in theNortheast Kingdom, there's an organized gravel ride called Raid Lamoille on July 20 that I want to do.

Here's the route
for some ideas.
Old 03-23-2019, 07:38 AM

Make sure to check Vt511 for road construction updates. Sucks to make a route and not realize certain roads are closed and the go around is brutal.

Old 03-23-2019, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmurph View Post
Up in theNortheast Kingdom, there's an organized gravel ride called Raid Lamoille on July 20 that I want to do.

Here's the route
for some ideas.
We've done the Raid Rockingham, put on by the same folks, so worth checking out. Thx
Old 03-23-2019, 03:46 PM

Any of the Six Gaps is a great ride, just south of Burlington near Middlebury is the cluster of the most of them. Great area for mixed dirt and pavement. 35mm Bon Jon's are the sweet spot for VT riding.

Lincoln Gap is one of the hardest climbs I have ever done. You can bag multiple gaps even as a softie, though there are plenty of flahutes who have done all six in one ride.

Bring fishing gear for that area too, if you like to fly fish. No better riding than VT. One of my faves.
Old 03-23-2019, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by type2sam View Post
Folks,

Planning to head to the Green Mountain State late summer (Sept/Oct) for the annual guy's weekend. Theme is going to be a mix of IPA's and biking (we tend to focus on mixed terrain - less traveled roads, dirt roads, maybe even some singletrack - think D2R2)

Hill Farmstead and Kingdom Trails are tentatively on the docket, but as we'll be driving up from Boston, Harpoon in Windsor is probably going to be a stop.

Looking for biking ideas in the Northeast Kingdom, mixed terrain preferred.

Thoughts?
My only experience with Oct. in Vermont is that it may be more like early winter than late summer.
Old 03-24-2019, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
My only experience with Oct. in Vermont is that it may be more like early winter than late summer.
Ha. Yeah, we rode today and decided on September just after the kids start school