Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-23-2019, 02:16 PM

DT Swiss end caps

Messing with a few different DT swiss hubs right now. I know not all of them are convertible, but do all of them have pull-off end caps to access the bearings?

What's the best way to pull the cap off the drive side of a rear hub?
Old 03-23-2019, 02:36 PM

I use my FSR blind bearing puller kit. With all the road grit the caps can get stuck

Some DT hubs are not convertable FYI. If there's a steel serrated edge it's a 50/50 depending on a few things
Old 03-23-2019, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
I use my FSR blind bearing puller kit. With all the road grit the caps can get stuck

Some DT hubs are not convertable FYI. If there's a steel serrated edge it's a 50/50 depending on a few things
So far the info I've found points to threaded axle is obviously normal, if it's smooth it should be pullable. Pullable doesn't always mean convertible - can still be 10mm / 11.5mm internal.

I have a hub that the non-drive side pulled off easy, drive side is hard to get leverage on. I tried sticking a pencil thru per one video but am afraid to put much force on it.

Oddly the nds is full smooth, drive side has steel serrated edge. Definitely not convertible but should be pullable? Also, I can't seem to spin just the end cap - if I hold the exposed nds axle and spin the ds cap, the axle wants to spin. Won't let me spin just the ds cap.
Old 03-23-2019, 03:50 PM

Sometimes you can just punch it out. I'll share that I have resorted to phone a call when in doubt

If there's a flat, its threaded on that side
Old 03-24-2019, 06:41 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cribbit View Post
So far the info I've found points to threaded axle is obviously normal, if it's smooth it should be pullable. Pullable doesn't always mean convertible - can still be 10mm / 11.5mm internal.

I have a hub that the non-drive side pulled off easy, drive side is hard to get leverage on. I tried sticking a pencil thru per one video but am afraid to put much force on it.

Oddly the nds is full smooth, drive side has steel serrated edge. Definitely not convertible but should be pullable? Also, I can't seem to spin just the end cap - if I hold the exposed nds axle and spin the ds cap, the axle wants to spin. Won't let me spin just the ds cap.
Put cogset or a few cogs onto the FHB and pull on that. The FHB will come off taking the end cap with it. OR
I put the axle end in a axle vice in a vice and tap, tap..and it comes off.