Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-05-2020, 02:18 PM

I don't gravitate to chubby tires, but a PSA nonetheless

I am a true roadie, and will always remain one. Occasionally I get dragged off the beaten path, but that is usually under protest. I don't seek out oversized sneakers intentionally, however, I have a new set of tubular wheels that were wider than I've used in the past and they required a different brake set up than the SRAM Force calipers I have on my fabulous rig from Dave Kirk. Please don't even bring up disc to me.

Research......came up with a pair of TRP 879s that are listed as being able to accommodate 28mm wide rims. Pulled the trigger on them and they are very capable of handling wide rims, and chubby rubber if you choose. Cost me $180 and came with both carbon and alloy pads. Easy to set up, and stop just fine. Photos aren't so hot and don't show off their look too well, but you can see the remaining capacity for tire in the photos. Front and both shown.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TRP 879-2.jpg (75.5 KB, 178 views)
File Type: jpg TRP 879-1.jpg (71.3 KB, 178 views)
Old 08-05-2020, 03:21 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

I just set up tubulars with 26.4 wide rims. That was way wider than the previous 40 years of gluing up tires.

I used 30mm Strada Biancha Challenge Tubeless tubulars. Having glued these up made me wonder how narrow tubular makes sense to use with wide rims. They are CX carbon XTR wheels, so made for 33s optimally.

I will stick with my 20.8mm wide earlier tubular wheels/rims for 25-27mm tires. The real old one with 18-19mm wide rims are all gone from my stash.