Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-05-2020, 02:08 PM
DELETE ACCNT

Very clear- the entire sprint you can see Groenewegen tracking everyone behind him, and clearly knew Jakobson was coming up fast.
Dylan Groen is looking back, tracking Jakobson for at least 100m. That is so easy to see in the head on shot.
Overhead clearly shows his course deviation to close the door.

That was really purposeful, and completely DG's fault.

Groenewegen's career is over
I hope Jakobson and the bystander survive and recover

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneline View Post
The overhead shot is a lot more damning for Groenewegen. He slowly closes the door to the right, but despite this Jakobson draws alongside. But at this point, Groenewegen continues to try to shut the door, and puts his elbow out. That's what put Jakobson into the barriers, and it shouldn't have happened.

I read on Twitter that Jakobson is intubated and in an induced coma. Really hope he pulls through okay.

Last edited by pasadena; 08-05-2020 at 02:12 PM.
Old 08-05-2020, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadena View Post
Very clear- the entire sprint you can see Groenewegen tracking everyone behind him, and clearly knew Jakobson was coming up fast.
Dylan Groen is looking back, tracking Jakobson for at least 100m. That is so easy to see in the head on shot.
Overhead clearly shows his course deviation to close the door.

That was really purposeful, and completely DG's fault.

Groenewegen's career is over
I hope Jakobson and the bystander survive and recover
I don't know if DG's career is over but he should certainly serve a lengthy ban to impress upon him, and other sprinters, that this kind of dirty riding will not be tolerated.

DG is a fairly prolific winner so I'll be surprised if he can't get a decent contract after returning from a ban.
Old 08-05-2020, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BdaGhisallo View Post
I don't know if DG's career is over but he should certainly serve a lengthy ban to impress upon him, and other sprinters, that this kind of dirty riding will not be tolerated.

DG is a fairly prolific winner so I'll be surprised if he can't get a decent contract after returning from a ban.
Pro sprinting has always been a dirty, dangerous profession. We've all seen it on race videos and many of us have seen it firsthand as competitors and race officials. It will be interesting to see how this crash is investigated and adjudicated. My thoughts are sincerely with Jakobsen, his family, and teammates.

Greg
Old 08-05-2020, 02:30 PM
v a n i l l a

Recall Sagan "flicking" his elbow as Cav tried to squeeze into a space that wasn't there. Dangerous moves at very high speeds with the worst possible outcome for many riders.
Old 08-05-2020, 02:57 PM

Wow, that is just brutal. And ban for life at the minimum.
Old 08-05-2020, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
Recall Sagan "flicking" his elbow as Cav tried to squeeze into a space that wasn't there. Dangerous moves at very high speeds with the worst possible outcome for many riders.

Was going to say the same. Similar to the Cav/Sagan sprint episode in the TdF not long ago.
Old 08-05-2020, 03:47 PM

impunity

This happened last week at Burgos, Stage 4, in the group sprint for second after Sam Bennett's red-kite escape. Demare veers into an overtaking Nizzolo and forces him to stop pedaling to avoid crashing himself and others. Nobody went down, and no mention of it later as far as I could tell. Call it what you will. The rule is clear. For me, not relegating Demare only incentivizes him (and everyone else) to keep it up. Ejecting him would have sent a real, clear message. Tough love.

¡Vai, vai!

http://www.cyclingfans.com/node/43111
Old 08-05-2020, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
Actually elbow flicks do not necessarily always indicate intent to harm/block
It is also a defensive reaction same as they sometimes use their heads in the same way in both road & track sprints

Not saying it is not also used as an offensive block
Old 08-05-2020, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homagesilkhope View Post
This happened last week at Burgos, Stage 4, in the group sprint for second after Sam Bennett's red-kite escape. Demare veers into an overtaking Nizzolo and forces him to stop pedaling to avoid crashing himself and others. Nobody went down, and no mention of it later as far as I could tell. Call it what you will. The rule is clear. For me, not relegating Demare only incentivizes him (and everyone else) to keep it up. Ejecting him would have sent a real, clear message. Tough love.

¡Vai, vai!

http://www.cyclingfans.com/node/43111
I agree. So much of professional sprinting success is about pushing the envelope as far as you can get away with. Sprinters drift over to block lines in every sprint, and even when it's flagrant, it's rarely penalized unless there's a crash.

Until the system actually rewards the sprinter who consistently holds his line and don't make any dangerous maneuvers, we're going to keep seeing crashes like this, and it's not really fair to the riders if they're only called out if someone ends up in the hospital.
Old 08-05-2020, 04:35 PM

I think they actually hooked bars, and DG went to pull out of it and pulled Jakobsen over.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDhMmFHF...d=aqp0aq2473ph
Old 08-05-2020, 05:54 PM

yuck.
Groenewegen's gotta go.
line deviation in a sprint needs to be a no-questions instant season ban (or longer) before someone gets killed. the 500CHF fine is nothing, and this isn't his first offense.

the barriers scattering didn't help either, but that's not really an issue if no one gets put into them.
Old 08-05-2020, 05:54 PM

Who won?
Old 08-05-2020, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavingould View Post
yuck.
Groenewegen's gotta go.
line deviation in a sprint needs to be a no-questions instant season ban (or longer) before someone gets killed. the 500CHF fine is nothing, and this isn't his first offense.

the barriers scattering didn't help either, but that's not really an issue if no one gets put into them.
Agree. And while they might have hooked bars, that doesn't happen if DG isn't trying to close a lane that isn't his to close.
Old 08-05-2020, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Who won?
The win was awarded to Jakobson, DG was disqualified.
I don't know if he was DQ'ed from the race or just relegated on the stage.
Old 08-05-2020, 06:09 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying View Post
Actually elbow flicks do not necessarily always indicate intent to harm/block. It is also a defensive reaction same as they sometimes use their heads in the same way in both road & track sprints. Not saying it is not also used as an offensive block
agreed - we've seen elbows shoulders heads used - some a nudge others a clear intent to push. in the PS MC situation, to me it didn't look egregious both in real time and in slo-mo but clearly the judges saw differently

here it looks to me like the elbow is used for offense.