Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-05-2020, 01:23 AM
Boeuf Chaîne

Too old to start running again?

I turned 58 a while back, and haven't done any significant running since I played basketball in high-school. The last thirty years or so my main cardio exercise has been cycling, with a bit of rowing thrown in. (Although, since a KB Turkish Get Up takes a bit under one minute to do, when I'm doing 12 or more per side that's a fairly intensive routine for at least 20 minutes, with essentially no real breaks, which isn't too shabby.)

I've wanted to start running again for ages, but have always been terrified that I'd mess up my knees, which would affect cycling, which is way more important to me than running could ever be. However, since a good run can take so much less time than a bike ride and can be done in much worse conditions, I've always thought of it as a great way to get a good cardio workout in a relatively short period of time. Same thing as the rowing erg in terms of time-efficiency, but with the gym shut down I haven't been doing that the last few months, and no one knows when the gym will re-open.

I'm sure the right answer is that you're never too old to start running, but the older you get the more difficult it is to do it right. I'd walk, but I've found that it's nearly impossible to get my HR up doing that, so IMO it's barely effective as a cardio exercise.

What in your experience would be the safest way to start? Lots of walking to get my body ready, then shift over to running?

Any other thoughts?

TIA
Old 08-05-2020, 02:39 AM

The nature of the surfaces you will run on will be important. Stay off the hard stuff. Any beaches in St. Louis?
Old 08-05-2020, 03:00 AM

I'm 54 and started running this year. I play rugby a few times a year and it kills my legs, so I started walking and jogging. Jogging gets my heart a bit faster and then as my knees got used to running I sped up. As above watch your terrain and hills are brutal so find a flat place to run. Make sure you have some good shoes designed for your running style,weight, terrain and pace.
Oh and don't compare your pace to others or your younger days.
Old 08-05-2020, 05:04 AM

Gave up running in 2016 after 42 years of pounding the pavement. Kept getting injured and decided to quit. Along with riding the bike I do high intensity walking instead. If you're not getting your heart rate up walking....you're not moving your arms and legs fast enough.

Last edited by el cheapo; 08-05-2020 at 05:06 AM.
Old 08-05-2020, 05:44 AM

I'm 60 and had stopped running for a year or so. started up about a month ago to try and loose a few lbs since cycling does not burn the calories the way running does. (i should stop drinking beer and wine, etc but i ride to eat )

start easy, walk a half mile, jog a half mile. Google from Couch to 5K. increase the jog part each week. i started at 2 mile jog (~9 min mile) and increased distance by 10% each running MWF. of course one day i decided to run 5 miles and the next day my IT band was really sore. so go easy, stretch after the run if you can.
Old 08-05-2020, 05:55 AM

Always hated running. I wish I liked it more for winter activity when riding sucks, but no.

Used to run when I played soccer but never thought about it because I was having fun playing soccer.

Remove the field and the ball to run only and it was always a death by boredom thing.

Contrast with cycling and I can go hours on end and never get bored.

Rides let me process thoughts and relax at the same time. Runs make me sore and pissed at the same time.

So I ride.
Old 08-05-2020, 05:57 AM

If you aren't significantly overweight, I don't see why you should stress your knees if you don't have knee/joint problems now.

I second JPW and recommend starting on soft surface. A nice dirt path is always fun to run on. If it has varied terrain, so much the better initially not to get repetitive stress on the legs.

Otherwise listen to your body. Since you were a basketball player and not a runner, no telling how your form is. If your body is not happy, it will tell you. Be smart, listen and don't push through it. You aren't 18 and immortal anymore.
Old 08-05-2020, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickdoc View Post
Always hated running. I wish I liked it more for winter activity when riding sucks, but no.

Used to run when I played soccer but never thought about it because I was having fun playing soccer.

Remove the field and the ball to run only and it was always a death by boredom thing.

Contrast with cycling and I can go hours on end and never get bored.

Rides let me process thoughts and relax at the same time. Runs make me sore and pissed at the same time.

So I ride.
Ya. Ran many years ago and when I discovered cycling I quit and never looked back.
Old 08-05-2020, 06:17 AM

Start out power walking instead and see how you fare. Much easier on the joints.
Old 08-05-2020, 06:24 AM
Administrator

i would start off with going to a good running shop and having a pro take a look at your stride and decide on the best shoes. modern shoes are significantly better than what you ran in 30 years ago and picking the right pair for the arch type you have and your stride, along with an appropriate level of cushion will go a long way to getting some stability, correct biomechanics and shock absorption.

while i agree getting off hardscapes will help with the joints a little, starting out after years of non running is possibly not the best idea. off camber surfaces, loose surfaces, etc, all require more balancing stability, and may stress the joints out learning the mechanics of running again. sand is probably the worst for this.

agreed to start with walking, add in running slowly and break it up with walking in the middle.

best off, listen to your body, take it slow and dont push too hard if things are sore and hurting at the beginning.

if you do the above, you shouldnt do any damage to your joints as long as they are healthy now.

IMO as a career runner.
Old 08-05-2020, 06:42 AM
Older Than You

I second the power walking suggestion. I did power walking for many years before I started cycling. Lot less stress on knees.
Old 08-05-2020, 06:51 AM

Running

I came to running from cycling. And over the years, with commitments (kids, work travel etc.) I've found running a fairly effective way to maintain fitness when time is of the essence.

I've also found it a great way to get outside and get a workout in when the conditions aren't great (winter).

I'll echo other posters' recommendations on starting slow, alternating walking and running etc.

I would add that shoe choice is important. After repeated foot/toe pain, I switched to the Uber-padded Hoka brand shoes and have found them to be excellent. I switch these out every 6 months or so religiously (even though they don't "look" worn down, the padding inside the midsole does degrade with use). Effective cushioning helps with joint comfort, back pain etc.

You will find that running does "beat you up" a bit more than cycling. Being diligent about stretching and rest will help in that regard.

You mentioned indoor rowing as an activity. I agree as well - we have a Concept II rower and I throw in rowing workouts (intervals, 5K) through the winter and occasionally in the summer, and I have found it to be quite complementary to running and cycling.

As I go back and look at my training logs over the years, I have found that a modicum of cycling helps my running more than running helps my cycling. But that's just me perhaps.

Good luck. And if we ever start (or have to resume) business travel again, running is quite the ticket in being able to easily explore new cities/areas if you're on the go.

m_b
Old 08-05-2020, 07:32 AM

Running

Starting a running program at 58 is a big lift. I started one at 40 and it took me about 1 year to be able to run 5 miles and not suffer the next day and I went very slowly. I'm a year older than you and I still run, albeit short distances only 2-3x per week. I really only run now to keep the muscle memory intact for when I go on vacation and can't use my other fitness modalities. Since you are already proficient in KB get-ups, why don't you just expand your KB repertoire? Do a few get-ups, then some swings and farmer's walk. If you want to run, alternating these 4 activities with little rest will stress all your major muscle groups while lowering your risk of injury. Throw in some burpees and you'll fatigue like never before, especially if you compare it to cycling.
Old 08-05-2020, 07:37 AM

I started running at 54, after 40+ years of cycling.

I subscribed to the Marathon Training Academy podcast (and others) and gradually raised my mileage. Start slow, build slower. Listen to your body.

And mix it up. Don't just plod along at a fixed pace. Do some hills, some speedwork, intervals, etc. The changeup will help your form and development.

Then add in some trails... Trails are wonderful!
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 08-05-2020, 07:57 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

As a cyclist, you probably have the aerobic capacity to jump in at the deep end

...which usually leads to injuries...

AMHIK

I try to trail run a few times/week. I still end up running a bit, walking a bit, then running a bit till I'm done in about 45min

M