Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-04-2020, 09:48 AM

OT and updated: high end cars now seems to be the time (seems it was)

Hi All,

Since the OT topics on other items seem to be so full of great information thought I would post one.

I've been eyeing high end cars for the past few months: Benz S550, Range Rovers, and BMW 750s.

Seems the best ones are the BMW750s. I just picked up a 2016 750 loaded with almost everything w/ 34k miles for $42k and it's warrantied for 5 years with a $250 deductible. This was a $100k car just 3 years ago.

Does anyone have a 16 or newer 750 they can discuss?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 61816097467__F515F702-7F92-4CB0-BA8F-AED7EA51B8F5.jpg (149.2 KB, 969 views)

Last edited by b33; 11-16-2021 at 01:14 PM.
Old 08-04-2020, 09:52 AM
Administrator

makes sense to me.

there is zero doubt that a real recession is looming, and the market for high end used cars has to be shrinking.

people with big money buy/lease these things new, and those on a budget choose more modest cars, so that leaves the pre-owned high-lux market to really shrink.

that thing must be one hell of a comfortable rocket ship. i'm totally out of touch with new cars, what transmission does that have?
Old 08-04-2020, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post

that thing must be one hell of a comfortable rocket ship. i'm totally out of touch with new cars, what transmission does that have?
Thanks, Angry. Yea, it's a living room on wheels. In both the front and back. It's a V8 w/ 445 horsepower and 8 speeds. It gets 28/29 on the highway and for its power and size it's impressive.

I am having it shipped from Indiana but a bike buddy went and test drove it. Bike buddies are the best; ) We take delivery in two weeks.
Old 08-04-2020, 09:59 AM

yes and make sure if you buy one

you can cover your butt when the depression finally hits.
Old 08-04-2020, 10:00 AM

Also, better deals on sedans than SUVs as sedans fall further out of favor. OEMs are trimming sedans from their lineups as they adjust to the decrease in demand and possible recession.
Old 08-04-2020, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
people with big money buy/lease these things new, and those on a budget choose more modest cars, so that leaves the pre-owned high-lux market to really shrink.
Don't forget the people who lease them cause they can't really afford them but also don't have any financial sense... seems like plenty of drivers. The other one that always surprises me is people who I meet who have bought a car like this but don't own a house with a garage or even a driveway and the car gets trashed parked out on the street.

OP sounds like you got a sweet deal on a gorgeous car.

The sad thing right now is not much driving to do.

I would love to buy a new car... but it's pointless in this environment for me. Definitely no point in spending the money to have a different car just sitting in the garage. Oh well the money sits in the bank/market and makes more money as opposed to frowning at not getting to go anywhere while the car depreciates.

100% on the sedans, excellent point. I'm not really into sedans due to the inherently inefficient shape but at least it's better than SUV everything.

Last edited by benb; 08-04-2020 at 10:05 AM.
Old 08-04-2020, 11:09 AM

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
Don't forget the people who lease them cause they can't really afford them but also don't have any financial sense... seems like plenty of drivers. The other one that always surprises me is people who I meet who have bought a car like this but don't own a house with a garage or even a driveway and the car gets trashed parked out on the street.

OP sounds like you got a sweet deal on a gorgeous car.

The sad thing right now is not much driving to do.

I would love to buy a new car... but it's pointless in this environment for me. Definitely no point in spending the money to have a different car just sitting in the garage. Oh well the money sits in the bank/market and makes more money as opposed to frowning at not getting to go anywhere while the car depreciates.

100% on the sedans, excellent point. I'm not really into sedans due to the inherently inefficient shape but at least it's better than SUV everything.
On the sedan > SUV front, I'll throw my personal preference in as well: wagon > SUV ALWAYS!

Bought myself my unicorn car a couple of years back (E63S AMG wagon) which was a delightful way to feel like I was driving straight to jail everytime I pushed the "on" button. Sold it 12 months ago, as I just couldn't dedicate that much "dead" money to sit on my driveway. Am so glad I sold it when I did...but man, do I miss that hell-wagon.
Old 08-04-2020, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4racer View Post
On the sedan > SUV front, I'll throw my personal preference in as well: wagon > SUV ALWAYS!

Bought myself my unicorn car a couple of years back (E63S AMG wagon) which was a delightful way to feel like I was driving straight to jail everytime I pushed the "on" button.
In full agreement on that. Man, the AMG wagons are in a league all of their own.
Old 08-04-2020, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
Don't forget the people who lease them cause they can't really afford them but also don't have any financial sense... seems like plenty of drivers.
Yea, it always seems to me you want to be on the other side of depreciation.

My last BMW I purchased with 60k and drove it to 160k with no issues.
Old 08-04-2020, 11:50 AM

I think most cars are cheap now because everyone needs to have a fake SUV
Old 08-04-2020, 11:51 AM

LOL, I bought this one last year for $40, needed some work but in nice shape.
Feels like a sofa and, as another poster mentioned, "impressive" in spite of (because of?) it's size.

Old 08-04-2020, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
LOL, I bought this one last year for $40, needed some work but in nice shape.
Feels like a sofa and, as another poster mentioned, "impressive" in spite of (because of?) it's size.
Sweet. I gotta say the new Lincolns are baller.
Old 08-04-2020, 12:48 PM

I remember similar bargains back in 2009/2008

This next one is going to be epic. Maybe it is time to finally ditch my '03 Matrix...
Old 08-04-2020, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b33 View Post
Hi All,

Since the OT topics on other items seem to be so full of great information thought I would post one.

I've been eyeing high end cars for the past few months: Benz S550, Range Rovers, and BMW 750s.

Seems the best ones are the BMW750s. I just picked up a 2016 750 loaded with almost everything w/ 34k miles for $42k and it's warrantied for 5 years with a $250 deductible. This was a $100k car just 3 years ago.

Does anyone have a 16 or newer 750 they can discuss?

sweet. That one have the hand jive technology? Wait, is that hand gesture? No better car for rolling fast for hours on end.
Old 08-04-2020, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickdoc View Post
sweet. That one have the hand jive technology? Wait, is that hand gesture? No better car for rolling fast for hours on end.
It is that one!!!!! Between the backseat and the seat massagers and the over all upgrades it was a done deal for us.