Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-05-2020, 05:46 PM

Rome NY area question

Hi all
Looking for info on a good route through or around Rome, coming in from the southeast and exiting west.
I have only driven through that area and the roads I took in the car are not appealing for riding.
Any thoughts posted here or by PM appreciated.
Old 08-05-2020, 06:14 PM

Stepfather lived up there until two years ago and moved to Florida. There are some decent spots outside of the city itself. Some pretty big climbs iirc on the outskirts through Verona and surrounding areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-05-2020, 06:24 PM

I was born and raised in Rome, NY and there is some awesome riding in the area. I've not lived there for nearly 30 years and I'm having trouble coming up with road names so I should keep my fingers still and not get you in trouble.

dave
Old 08-05-2020, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
Stepfather lived up there until two years ago and moved to Florida. There are some decent spots outside of the city itself. Some pretty big climbs iirc on the outskirts through Verona and surrounding areas.

The ladies have a horseback riding competition on the north shore of Oneida Lake this weekend.
I am thinking of riding over to watch it.
I'm good on routes from my place to Utica, and slightly beyond but then it seems like everything funnels into downtown Rome Route 46/49/69 which is really crappy riding.
Once I get west of Rome it's Route 49 west out to the show.
And I get a ride home in the minivan!
Old 08-05-2020, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY rider View Post
The ladies have a horseback riding competition on the north shore of Oneida Lake this weekend.
I'm good on routes from my place to Utica, and slightly beyond but then it seems like everything funnels into downtown Rome Route 46/49/69 which is really crappy riding.

Yes, I am not sure what would get you around the city as it is actually the largest geographically in the state iirc. May have to have a look at the map!

Old 08-05-2020, 07:18 PM

49/69/46 all kind of come together right in Rome. It's been a long time since I've ridden in that area but maybe give 5 to 13 to 49 a look 5 once West of Utica has good shoulders. It's a truck route but it's generally not bad. 13 will take you around the East end of Oneida Lake where you can pick 49 bypassing Rome completely.

If you don't want to deal with the heavier traffic of 5 in the New Hartford area you can jump on 12b toward Clinton. It also goes by Clinton Road. Follow that to Limberlost road and that will T onto 5 which will get you around the heavier traffic around the mall and such.

I just remembered that you could also take 5 to 31 to 13 to 49. 13 and 31 pretty much meet around the Sylvan Beach area.

Last edited by parris; 08-05-2020 at 07:41 PM.
Old 08-05-2020, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Are you riding from the Hartwick area to North Riding in Cleveland? I’d suggest avoiding the Utica and Rome areas entirely and go through the Clinton and Vernon areas. There are many rural roads that will keep you off the main state routes (including Route 49). I grew up on a farm near Milford and ride the roads around Oneida Lake often, so the roads are familiar.

Greg
Old 08-05-2020, 10:09 PM

Greg brings up a good point about avoiding Utica depending on the routes you'd want to ride. From your area you could probably hit 80 or even 20 to 12b or 26. 12b would take you through Hamilton and into Clinton where you could pick up 5. 26 would take you down through Vernon Center where you could pick up 5. Once on 5 you could pick up 31 then 13 etc. Just some options to think about.
Old 08-06-2020, 05:23 AM

Thanks guys, this is exactly what I was hoping for. Much appreciated.
Old 08-06-2020, 07:50 AM

I live in Clinton and know (and love!) the roads around here. Unfortunately, I'm just recovering from spinal fusion surgery, so can't actually ride with you when you pass through. Are you looking for hilly or flat, and what's your final destination? There's absolutely no reason to ride through Rome, and lots of wonderful low-traffic roads that will get you to wherever you want to go. There are virtually no gravel roads around here, so any road you see on a detailed map is rideable. Avoid state roads, and you'll be thrilled!
Old 08-06-2020, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onno View Post
I live in Clinton and know (and love!) the roads around here. Unfortunately, I'm just recovering from spinal fusion surgery, so can't actually ride with you when you pass through. Are you looking for hilly or flat, and what's your final destination? There's absolutely no reason to ride through Rome, and lots of wonderful low-traffic roads that will get you to wherever you want to go. There are virtually no gravel roads around here, so any road you see on a detailed map is rideable. Avoid state roads, and you'll be thrilled!
I'm doing the exact route that GregL mentioned above.
Not looking for any giant climbs but hilly enough to keep it interesting is good.
And I have to get there in decent time so I can watch the kids ride.
Old 08-06-2020, 08:01 AM

Quote:
This is my takeaway. There are many county and town roads that will allow you to avoid the major state roads. You may need to be on a state road for a short distance to cross waterways at bridges or to connect local roads. Otherwise, it's county and local roads all the way. For example, you can avoid RT49 entirely on the north side of Oneida Lake. From North Bay, take 68A to Stone Barn Road. You can then take local roads to the horse show location.

Greg
Old 08-06-2020, 08:35 AM

Quote:
I'm doing the exact route that GregL mentioned above.
Not looking for any giant climbs but hilly enough to keep it interesting is good.
And I have to get there in decent time so I can watch the kids ride.

My recommendation would be to get to Clinton via Brookfield (staying south of Route 20), and then take Beaver Creek Road (really lovely), which will get you pretty close to Waterville. Then take Hanover and Craig to get to Clinton.

Then take Kirkland Ave to French Road, left on South Street, to get to Creaser and then Lowell Roads. That gets you to Churchville, and then Doxtater and Higginsville Roads get you around Sylvan Beach, and you are virtually there!

Should be a lovely long ride!

Onno
Old 08-06-2020, 09:24 AM

Quote:
My recommendation would be to get to Clinton via Brookfield (staying south of Route 20), and then take Beaver Creek Road (really lovely), which will get you pretty close to Waterville. Then take Hanover and Craig to get to Clinton.

Then take Kirkland Ave to French Road, left on South Street, to get to Creaser and then Lowell Roads. That gets you to Churchville, and then Doxtater and Higginsville Roads get you around Sylvan Beach, and you are virtually there!

Should be a lovely long ride!

Onno
One word of caution: The Higginsville Road bridge over the barge canal collapsed last year. To cross the barge canal, you need to use RT13 in Sylvan Beach or RT46 a few miles to the east.

Greg
Old 08-06-2020, 09:37 AM

Can also cross at Lock Road, just to the east. Also at Stoney Creek Road, east of that--closed to vehicles, but you can walk across (that's the way I normally cross the canal when I'm headed out that way).