Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-05-2020, 07:12 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocipede View Post
TPC buys for 50% of what they will sell for. Even if it's a brand new item they will still buy it for half of the value.
SO say you are selling a brand new in box pair of shoes. Retail is $300. They will buy them for no more than $75 and sell them for $150. I've worked with them before. They pay cash but you lose a ton.
This is not surprising. They are assuming ownership and sales risk. And need to have room to discount to move stagnant product.
Old 08-05-2020, 08:15 PM

I've bought a frame from them and tried to sell a bike with them. I also was shopping for a bike from them until recently.

As a buyer, TPC is a decent option because they're picky and therefore have an interesting variety of bikes. You'll definitely pay a premium but you don't have to bid against Ebay'ers and you know that they've done some level of due diligence and screening. They're return policy isn't great however so keep that in mind and know your size. Buying on craigslist is way easier and less risky but if you're looking for something specific, it can take a while for that bike to show up.

As a seller, TPC seems like a lousy option. As others have noted, they reject a lot of bikes based on a simple 5 question form and in fact, even if they accept your bike and you ship it to them, they can reject it upon inspection if they feel like you misrepresented the condition. And yeah, they prob pay you 50% of market price. They rejected my bike immediately because it wasn't less than 5 years old so i posted it on Craigslist and got like 20 interested parties within 24hrs. Depending on price, selling on Craigslist is the best option, especially now when there's a shortage of bikes and people seem desperate to buy anything. If you price it reasonably, you're almost guaranteed to find a buyer. Perhaps if you have a really expensive bike, TPC provides a viable service and some price guarantee but at a high cost to you...and you bear all the risk.
Old 08-05-2020, 08:27 PM

Here is a recent article:

https://www.slowtwitch.com/Features/...oset_7722.html
Old 08-05-2020, 08:34 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

I'd never consider a picture of my License to reside in a vendor database waiting to be breached, like that would ever happen. Butt, that's just me.

Quote:
Your personal SN is required. And, you’ll need to take a pic of it. Since you’ve got your camera out anyway, snap a pic of your driver’s license.
Old 08-06-2020, 06:58 AM
bykhed

Quote:
Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
I'd never consider a picture of my License to reside in a vendor database waiting to be breached, like that would ever happen. Butt, that's just me.
It's probably not that unreasonable. I had to do the same when I registered to make reservations on AirBNB.
Old 08-06-2020, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robt57 View Post

When I’ve had to give my SSN on a form I have never written down my actual number, always flip a few. In the 30 years or so doing this, never been asked or challenged.

Obviously not on financial forms, but on applications where there is no need for this personal info.

I’ve not given any thought to giving up my driver’s lic image/info but the idea doesn’t trill me.