Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-01-2020, 04:57 PM

A properly maintained asphalt road should be chip sealed every 10-15 years. After two seals, it will probably need total replacement. We have over a mile of privately owned asphalt in my neighborhood. We should do some crack repair and cheap seal on it next year, when the road is 16 years old, for about 80k, split between 36 lot owners. This is on a minimally used road.

The problem is what's used for the chips. If it's too coarse, it can be rough. I ride a lot of county maintained roads that are chip sealed.
Old 08-01-2020, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
It's called protesting.
This is what a protest is like in Eugene, according to the local paper

eugene-protest-declared-riot-following-night-of-confrontations

I was so sure that we would be retiring to Oregon, that we already bought a house and have been renting it out.

Now, we will be selling that house, and I am reading this thread for Plan B

Last edited by Old School; 08-01-2020 at 06:37 PM.
Old 08-01-2020, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School View Post
This is what a protest is like in Eugene, according to the local paper

eugene-protest-declared-riot-following-night-of-confrontations

I was so sure that we would be retiring to Oregon, that we already bought a house and have been renting it out.

Now, we will be selling that house, and I am reading this thread for Plan B
While I certainly don't have any interest in moving back to Eugene myself, this really don't strike me as the kind of thing that would dissuade anyone who previously wanted to live there. Downtown was always a ****show as long as I lived there, but other parts of the town are nice.
Old 08-01-2020, 10:07 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Guys, I realize that for some, political inclinations can play a role in determining where you choose to live, but given this forum's extreme reluctance to discuss politics, please do your best to avoid any such topics that could risk having the thread shut down. Thanks.
Old 08-05-2020, 04:37 PM

Great stuff in this thread.

I lived up and down the east coast, along with the gulf coast for the first 25 yrs of my life. When I got out of the military, my first job had me in D.C. briefly and then took me to Southern California. I was happy to escape hot, humid summers and rusty cars. I loved running, biking and surfing in my free time. I really enjoyed going out with a local bike club Saturday mornings in a big loop and riding down the pacific coast highway, seeing others out riding, running and surfing all over. Really spectacular views and weather. I then started grad school part-time and moved up to Seattle after graduating. At the time, I couldn't wait to get out of California due to the cost of living and job prospects (Great Recession time frame). After 6 dreary winters and some family health scares, I couldn't take the gray winters anymore (7 months of rain ) and we tried to get back to Southern California. You really can't beat the PNW summers though. All the jobs at the time seemed to be in the SF Bay Area for what my wife does, so we ended up here. I am loving it so far, but don't necessarily see us here forever because of the cost of living. Otherwise, I really do like it here a lot.

High on the list for us are San Diego beach towns, Santa Barbara, or San Luis Obispo. The virus working from home has us thinking we'll go test out some of these places soon for some longer stays. We'll see what life brings us!
Old 08-06-2020, 08:07 AM
slower than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
I think taxes have been mentioned by others above (as in "Washington State has no personal income tax") but IMO that's a secondary consideration. I'd be willing to take, say, a 10% hit on my annual retirement income in exchange for great weather, great cycling, and affordable housing.

All else being the same, then lower taxes are better, but if they're super low because the state does a horrible job of educating it's citizens and they don't maintain their roads, then you're still paying a price, it's just that you can't calculate it quite as easily.
True. Those taxes pay for a ton of fresh paving in upstate NY, which is essentially a rural backwater at this point, and should have many more dirt and gravel roads, considering the traffic.
Old 08-06-2020, 08:11 AM

The home inspection was yesterday for the house I hope to live in at least until I'm 65. I'm buying a single-story stucco home in the desert in NW Arizona. Not Phoenix hot or Flagstaff cold. It closes in mid-September. I've been renting since relocating in 2018. My mortgage will be $65 more.
Old 08-06-2020, 08:12 AM
slower than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_fat_and_slow View Post
I thought when you set up a base in Tucson, you needed a second home for the summer, not winter ??
The way to deal with that is to take advantage of the off season rental market up in a lot of Rocky mountain ski towns. I know someone that lives in Florida, but escapes the heat by moving to Vermont every summer, where the living is pretty cheap in vacant ski condos.
Old 02-14-2021, 05:48 AM
Boeuf Chaîne

It's the dead of winter and much of the country is in the middle of a big-time cold snap, so I figured I'm bump this thread and post an image I found the other day.

Time to dream about perfect riding weather, without any snow...

Old 02-14-2021, 07:26 AM

I wouldn't consider moving out of Florida. As an older person, I much prefer heat over cold. And can always leave in August. I've visited about every area in USA in most of the seasons. No state income tax here, we collect our taxes from consumption. Tax spending, not income. Real estate prices still relatively low with low RE taxes. I live NE of Orlando in a small county....huge emphasis by progressive thinking County on outdoor fitness....wide smooth trails for ALL residents to use. Huge cycling culture. Road, off road, trikes, etc.

Tourists who visit Disney or beaches don't have a clue what's it's like to live here year around, just like us visitors to Colorado ski towns don't have a clue what's it's really like to live there year around. it's warm here this AM, but raining, so probably won't ride this AM, but don't miss many days. And yes...we don't have mountains to climb or their views, can't have everything, but for having a 12 month residence, with ability to to leave during hot months, would not consider leaving here. Humidity not an issue for me, have AC about everywhere I go, and 122 out of 124 homes in my community have pools....usually heated for cooler weather. I hear tourists complain about how hot and humid it is at Disney in August in afternoon....and my reaction usually is "why would you go there then"? I wouldn't take my bike to Frisco, Co in January. But have in August.

Last edited by Ralph; 02-14-2021 at 07:30 AM.
Old 02-14-2021, 07:29 AM
ZhugeLiang

What were / will be your criteria for choosing a location for retirement?

Making sure my heart and mind are in the right place and primed for retirement. I am already there...and I am not even "retired!"

Once you get that right, everything else will follow.
Old 02-14-2021, 07:41 AM

I lived in Florida for 20 years, Marco island and Naples, but now live in Ashburn, Va. because my only child daughter and two grandsons live there. Do I like living here? Probably not as I would still like to live in Florida. But we all have to prioritize our lives. My family needed me so that is why I am here. We can talk about weather, taxes and health but when push comes to shove family is the most important imho.
Old 02-14-2021, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alancw3 View Post
I lived in Florida for 20 years, Marco island and Naples, but now live in Ashburn, Va. because my only child daughter and two grandsons live there. Do I like living here? Probably not as I would still like to live in Florida. But we all have to prioritize our lives. My family needed me so that is why I am here. We can talk about weather, taxes and health but when push comes to shove family is the most important imho.
This.
Old 02-14-2021, 07:51 AM

I retired last year. and while I hate the cold/snow of living in the NE, we are close to our kids / grand-kids and that is the most important factor for us. Well that and the fact that Mass doesnt tax my Federal pension
Old 02-14-2021, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
What were / will be your criteria for choosing a location for retirement?

Making sure my heart and mind are in the right place and primed for retirement. I am already there...and I am not even "retired!"

Once you get that right, everything else will follow.
Well said Weisan.