Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-11-2024, 07:21 PM

Fwiw they do suggest there's no maintenance on 3.0s not that I entirely believe it and replacements aren't cheap.
Old 03-11-2024, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice rocket View Post
How long do you plan on keeping it?

I wouldn't invest in future shock bikes, personally. Stop gap technology at it's fullest, especially when parts begin to disappear.
I had one seven years ago so it doesn’t seem to be going that quickly. Parts are always changing flavors or disappearing…
Old 03-11-2024, 09:56 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
How long do you plan on keeping it?

I wouldn't invest in future shock bikes, personally. Stop gap technology at it's fullest, especially when parts begin to disappear.
I'm certainly considering that for sure..
Old 03-12-2024, 07:48 AM

I've gotta say that I'm not in the least concerned about Future Shock availability. Keep in mind that Specialized just revamped it and made the 3.0 retro fittable to earlier bikes. Also, between the Roubaix, Diverge and the ebikes, how many million bikes are out there with the FS?

Of course, there are also solutions available to remove the shock and replace it with a fixed piece.

I'm not sure about the fit, but I would consider the Giant and the Canyon endurance bikes. I think the BMC and Cervelo are due for an update, so I'm watching that. When comparing fits, keep in mind that a Roubaix complete bike comes with that riser bar that adds a few mm's of stack. Don't ask me why.
Old 03-12-2024, 09:20 AM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philster View Post
I've gotta say that I'm not in the least concerned about Future Shock availability. Keep in mind that Specialized just revamped it and made the 3.0 retro fittable to earlier bikes. Also, between the Roubaix, Diverge and the ebikes, how many million bikes are out there with the FS?

Of course, there are also solutions available to remove the shock and replace it with a fixed piece.

I'm not sure about the fit, but I would consider the Giant and the Canyon endurance bikes. I think the BMC and Cervelo are due for an update, so I'm watching that. When comparing fits, keep in mind that a Roubaix complete bike comes with that riser bar that adds a few mm's of stack. Don't ask me why.
for sure looking at the Giant and Canyons.. the Canyon actually comes closest I think, just sucks I can't ride one.. the BMC and Cervelos seem to be a bit on the long side for a respective side, leaning a bit more to the racy side IMHO..
Old 03-12-2024, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philster View Post
Millions is a stretch.

But assuming you wanted to keep it functioning, a pretty simple thing would be to look at other similar stopgaps like Zertz inserts. Zertz was sold on Specialized bikes until 2016, can you acquire them anymore? Cursory google search says no, but maybe a dealer can give us better info.
Old 03-12-2024, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Millions is a stretch.

But assuming you wanted to keep it functioning, a pretty simple thing would be to look at other similar stopgaps like Zertz inserts. Zertz was sold on Specialized bikes until 2016, can you acquire them anymore? Cursory google search says no, but maybe a dealer can give us better info.
I don’t believe the zertz were ever available as replacement or for repair. They did zero and were for show.

As a guy who ride mechanical groupsets on Italian steel, I will say the new Diverge STR- with future shock front and rear is a pretty amazing bike.

Last edited by vespasianus; 03-12-2024 at 01:32 PM.
Old 03-12-2024, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespasianus View Post
I don’t believe the zertz were ever available as replacement or for repair. They did zero and were for show.
I can't say whether they did or did not work, but they did include them on bikes for a decade or more and were a wear item. I've seen plenty dried out that were crumbly/crusty, did Specialized really not offer replacements?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespasianus View Post
As a guy who ride mechanical groupsets on Italian steel, I will say the new Diverge STR- with future shock from and rear is a pretty amazing bike.
I don't want to ruin the surprise, but wait till you try a suspension fork.
Old 03-12-2024, 02:57 PM

Diverge vs New Roubaix

I just retired a 2015 Cannondale Synapse 105 mechanical to backup status that I rode for 65 centuries and over 30,000 miles since I bought it in August 2018.

My new-to-me main road bike is a ‘21 S-Works Roubaix with D/A Di2. I’m riding it on new Conti GP 5000 30mm tires and it has the FS 2.0, of course.

The ride is unbelievably smooth! I’ve only got 152 miles on the Roubaix so far but holy cow, the tires and FS are an amazing combination!

I have a RedShift ShockStop stem on my Synapse and thought it was a smooth ride (Conti GP 5000 28’s), but the Roubaix is twice as smooth, no exaggeration.

My brother has over 32,000 miles on his ‘20 Roubaix with the FS 2.0 and he has never had any issues with it.

Life is short - get what you want!

Gary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-12-2024, 04:48 PM

Quote:
I can't say whether they did or did not work, but they did include them on bikes for a decade or more and were a wear item. I've seen plenty dried out that were crumbly/crusty, did Specialized really not offer replacements?

I don't want to ruin the surprise, but wait till you try a suspension fork.
I have a mountain bike for that!
Old 03-12-2024, 07:31 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazAd View Post
I just retired a 2015 Cannondale Synapse 105 mechanical to backup status that I rode for 65 centuries and over 30,000 miles since I bought it in August 2018.

My new-to-me main road bike is a ‘21 S-Works Roubaix with D/A Di2. I’m riding it on new Conti GP 5000 30mm tires and it has the FS 2.0, of course.

The ride is unbelievably smooth! I’ve only got 152 miles on the Roubaix so far but holy cow, the tires and FS are an amazing combination!

I have a RedShift ShockStop stem on my Synapse and thought it was a smooth ride (Conti GP 5000 28’s), but the Roubaix is twice as smooth, no exaggeration.

My brother has over 32,000 miles on his ‘20 Roubaix with the FS 2.0 and he has never had any issues with it.

Life is short - get what you want!

Gary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
good to hear on the longevity of your brother's bike.. I tend to think the FS is pretty refined at this point and I'd be a bit surprised if Spesh went away from them for a while..

also, have no interest in an STR bike.. just can't get over the looks of it, but I think I'd just get a hardtail or short travel FS at that point..

the only downside is getting past the price point.. but, whatever..