Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-08-2024, 10:36 PM
Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh_on_the_cape View Post
So the black bibs isn't just a marketing company with the same stuff as Amazon?
Can confirm it is not just an Amazon 6 letter company. It's a real brand down in the Carolinas.
They may source their stuff from the same factories as some 6 letter Amazon brands, but I can confidently say I have not seen bibs that match BlackBibs in shape/design. BlackBibs have an absurdly high cut in the front that I just haven't seen when randomly looking around at bibs over the last handful of years.
Old 03-09-2024, 12:12 AM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
Can confirm it is not just an Amazon 6 letter company. It's a real brand down in the Carolinas.
They may source their stuff from the same factories as some 6 letter Amazon brands, but I can confidently say I have not seen bibs that match BlackBibs in shape/design. BlackBibs have an absurdly high cut in the front that I just haven't seen when randomly looking around at bibs over the last handful of years.
agreed, they are quality items with good quality lycra, something many Amazon brands don't have when it comes to shorts/bibs, at least what I've seen from folks who bought the Amazon stuff..
Old 03-09-2024, 12:34 AM

Yes. I tried these on a fluke, and turns out they fit me better than jerseys in the stable at 4-5x the price.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 03-09-2024, 12:38 AM

i have several pairs of blackbibs ultimate, and they are superb. 4+ hour rides no problemo.

they fit me so well i'm just reluctant to try something else, unless my size shifts and then i move in between sizes and fit. have had just about every brand under the sun over the years and other than voler (which i've always bought because i like to support 'em, but they've gotten really pricey on the higer end models), the bb ultimates to me are just perfect. not too pricey, look great and function even better.

Quote:
So the black bibs isn't just a marketing company with the same stuff as Amazon?
Old 03-09-2024, 06:55 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Does anyone have any good or bad luck with inexpensive cycling jerseys from Amazon?
I have good shorts.
I don't really care about brand names, I don't do group rides or pose at the coffee shop.
My jerseys are all hanging off of me since I have lost weight from running and new high end jerseys are just crazy expensive in my opinion.
I have had mixed luck with off brand outdoors stuff on Amazon. Some of it is really really good for the price, though.

Any specific jerseys (long and short sleeve) that are great or steer clear?

Thanks!
Spring is sproinging!
What general size do ya need? I have a ton of XL jerseys that I'm going to put on the classifieds tomorrow. ALL are $35 each shipped via USPS priority.

Mostly shop(Vecchio's) stuff, some vintage team stuff..Pix domani.
Old 03-09-2024, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
What general size do ya need? I have a ton of XL jerseys that I'm going to put on the classifieds tomorrow. ALL are $35 each shipped via USPS priority.

Mostly shop(Vecchio's) stuff, some vintage team stuff..Pix domani.
Grazie bello, but I am more medium or large
Old 03-09-2024, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Grazie bello, but I am more medium or large
Perhaps just check for name-brand stuff at the discounter sites, such as this one (part of the Competitive Cyclist group):

https://www.steepandcheap.com/mens-r...3AM&sort=price
Old 03-09-2024, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterCogset View Post
Perhaps just check for name-brand stuff at the discounter sites, such as this one (part of the Competitive Cyclist group):

https://www.steepandcheap.com/mens-r...3AM&sort=price
Cambria Bike in Cali is a real brick and mortar with frequent cheap deals on familiar brands, my go-to for basics like socks, sleeves, and cheap jerseys.
https://cambriabike.com/collections/...Short%20Sleeve

But yeah, used is the way to go for Jerseys (can't get past the ewww factor for used bibs or shorts, no way no how!) A couple of times though I've gotten used jerseys that stink of scented detergents or fabric softeners that I can't stand which takes quite a few washings to get completely rid of in some materials, especially older lycra blends. I'd guess the forum would be a treasure trove of used kit that no longer fits or gets worn, put up a WTB ad in the classifieds and you'll have offers. I can't believe the stuff that's taking up drawer space that I really should weed out.

Last edited by zennmotion; 03-09-2024 at 11:52 AM.
Old 03-09-2024, 12:43 PM

I've bought used shorts on Geartrade and been very pleased. It's a site run by Backcountry.com, some of the items I think are from private individuals and some are returns to Backcountry (Competitive Cyclist). So far, what I've bought doesn't even look used (yeah, I wash them first before using) and I'm getting my preferred Castelli Endurance 3 shorts for $50-60 instead of $140 retail.

I've also bought some jerseys over time on eBay. You can generally tell if the photos are clear and the description is good that you're getting what you want.

And of course here on PL is where I've bought cycling clothes I've been happy with. Castelli winter jacket and Sugoi rain jacket come to mind, at friendly PL pricing.