Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-21-2024, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
Indeed. A problem with our society writ large. Well put.
Agreed, it is why I listen to all but confirm through my own experience and experimentation what meets my needs!

Hell, I’m riding a campagnolo ekar equipped road bike now to see what it’s all about

Last edited by Likes2ridefar; 04-21-2024 at 08:39 AM.
Old 04-21-2024, 08:45 AM

What you choose to ride depends on where you live. There is no long stretch of gravel in my area of northern Colorado. I never transport my bike a long distance to ride it. Dust or mud doesn't appeal to me either. My bikes all accommodate 32mm tires. My lowest gear ratio of 30/44 is like an MTB's 36/52 to handle any climb I encounter.
Old 04-21-2024, 10:00 AM

An interesting part of the discussion is gearing. My gravel bike still has the gearing from 2017, a 36/46 and an 11-32. My all-road bike has Red AXS with a 35/48 and a 10-33, so my road bike has lower climbing gears. Thinking back to the days when I'd time trial with a 44/55 and a 13-26, or climbing Hurricane Ridge with a 42-23 low gear, my knees hurt.
Old 04-21-2024, 10:58 AM

A short, entertaining video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_l56EvIM1Y&t=2s
Old 04-21-2024, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
Good times.
Old 04-21-2024, 11:15 AM
Back At It!

somewhat interesting.. just depends I suppose..

I bought a Giant Revolt just about a year ago, tried to make it work for me, fiddled with the seat, stem, different seat, etc and could just not make it comfortable for me.. I have heard the Giants are routinely long bikes and with gravel geos being a bit different than road (longer TTs, shorter stems to compensate), maybe I just didn't understand well enough to make it work.. finally was able to sell it or my asking price..

anyway, fast forward to finding my new to me Anderson on the classifieds here and, wow, what a bike! I was able to fit 30mm tires under the Force rim brakes and that bike just feels like a rocket to me.. went out yesterday for the first proper ride and set 2 PRs and 3 3rds.. maybe coincidence, maybe just a really good bike?

My point is while I can understand the author's point, just not sure we are there yet with a gravel bike being the same as a dedicated road bike, although I think that gap is quickly narrowing.. especially with this year's category du jour of "all road".. I know all road is not a new term, but the industry seems to think it is..

when I move up to the PNW in a couple years and have some more access to gravel, or at least trails that are more flowey, I'll take a look at gravel bikes again..
Old 04-21-2024, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
As a long time member of this community, I can tell we have a very diverse group of people here. It would be a mistake to draw any conclusion or make any assumption based on the opinions of a few who are very vocal and posted more often. Behind the scenes, there is still a greater population of lurkers, observers and outliers.
Oh, I know. I was only half-serious at most.
Old 04-22-2024, 11:30 AM

I haven't owned a proper road bike for 20 years. I've just had cyclocross and now gravel bikes. What bike you ride depends on the area you live and what your needs/wants are. Nothing more.
Old 04-22-2024, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbike4 View Post
I just put some 35mm Panaracer Gravel King SS tires on my gravel bike. It's not like riding my Peg on smooth roads but boy is it nice on some rough pavement.
^this
Old 04-22-2024, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StressStrain View Post
^this
Just installed and tested today for 1st ride 38mm Teravail rampart fast and light tubeless and they are such a smooth and fast ride.
Old 04-22-2024, 11:44 AM
Meh

Lauren De Crescenzo is working with Life Time to implement pro rider separation at "pro" gravel events, which completes the circle back to USAC-style road racing (but with added dust). So we can just go back to calling them road bikes.
Old 04-22-2024, 11:45 AM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Please dont just post a link with zero commentary, so I need to click it to see what it's about.
^^^This
Old 04-22-2024, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB View Post
Lauren De Crescenzo is working with Life Time to implement pro rider separation at "pro" gravel events, which completes the circle back to USAC-style road racing (but with added dust). So we can just go back to calling them road bikes.
Gravel races still do the whole "you're racing on open roads, obey all traffic rules" whereas "road" races still have at least some expectation of at least traffic controls at intersections. So there's still one big (and expensive) step to go before they truly are one.
Old 04-22-2024, 12:39 PM

I have two dedicated "all-road" bikes (with rim brakes) with clearance for 35mm+ tires and road geometry. I'm very happy with both bikes on a variety of surfaces, including light/moderate gravel. It's all I need, I guess. But I can totally see why a gravel bike can be a "do-it-it-all" machine and I'm intrigued by the genre.
Old 04-23-2024, 05:44 AM

I have 3 different gravel bikes at the moment. Each is set up differently and they cover the allroad-adventure categories. A Mosaic GT-1 AR, Intense 951 gravel with 2.1" 650b set up and my Moots Baxter with 100mm Fox Factory team SC fork.

The Moots Baxter is an all out go anywhere and do anything bike that is surprisingly good on pavement in comparison to other adventure bikes like the Cutthroat. It is comfortable, fast and can go anywhere one would attempt on a bicycle of this sort. I honestly think it came out too early or it would still be in production as it is the most versatile and fun of the bunch! An excellent bicycle, but it is too much bike for regular paved roads rides!

The Intense is extremely capable with the 650b 2.1 set up. It can do 90% of what the Moots does and may be a little better on the paved roads while still being single track capable as well. With a set of 32-35mm slick tires it is a great road ride especially on the less than perfect road surfaces! It's a great bike!

My Mosaic GT-1 AR could be a quiver killer! I have done paved road rides with 32mm tires and hit the gravel and dirt without any hesitation! It is a joy to ride everywhere that can be considered a road, but I haven't taken into the local single track yet. The other two bikes are too good there to bother! I am pretty sure I would be completely fine with this being my only bike, but my pure road bike is still better suited for paved riding!

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk