Quote:
Originally Posted by zap View Post
Pretty easy fix.
Do tell....
Old 07-01-2022, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Pretty easy fix.
Say in a real t-bone scenario, the car's bumper crashing into your car isn't much of a factor in occupant safety. Whether your car has ultra high strength steel, carbon structures, side air curtains, and other devices to redirect energy are what matters. The offending car's bumper is barely an ornament and is there to protect cooling systems, lights, etc. on low speed bumps and thumps in a parking lot. It is not designed to protect occupants in a real collision.

So, how is something that isn't broken fixed?
Old 07-01-2022, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
My 6.7 Powerstroke F-250 has an intact emissions system. I've never been able to make it produce any visible exhaust. It's a 2020 so it uses DEF which isn't the PITA I thought it would be.
And of course, if you run out of the synthetic urea, you can always supply the organic. Beer helps.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 07-01-2022, 12:38 PM

Along the same lines I know several guys who, once their diesel truck went past the factory warranty, they had them "deleted". Basically, remove all the emission control hardware, most of them put in different chips/tuning apparatus and removed the muffler (running a straight pipe now). This mod also fools the computer into thinking it always has gov't juice, so don't need to buy that anymore, either. There's a place in town that does it. It's not cheap, though.

I've had coal rolled on me many times over the years - not a pleasant experience. Not by any of the guys I know, though!
Old 07-01-2022, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripvanrando View Post
Say in a real t-bone scenario, the car's bumper crashing into your car isn't much of a factor in occupant safety. Whether your car has ultra high strength steel, carbon structures, side air curtains, and other devices to redirect energy are what matters. The offending car's bumper is barely an ornament and is there to protect cooling systems, lights, etc. on low speed bumps and thumps in a parking lot. It is not designed to protect occupants in a real collision.

So, how is something that isn't broken fixed?
Some of the aftermarket bumpers I've seen on big diesels are thick plate steel. These are definitely not designed to just redirect energy and would do a ton of damage to the occupants of another vehicle.
Old 07-01-2022, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismoustache View Post
Some of the aftermarket bumpers I've seen on big diesels are thick plate steel. These are definitely not designed to just redirect energy and would do a ton of damage to the occupants of another vehicle.
Or protect big diesels occupants even better if some idiot runs head on into them like I had happen in my truck. Always more than one way to look at things.
Old 07-01-2022, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismoustache View Post
That isn't how a bumper functions. The redirection and absorption of energy is within the hit vehicle but this isn't what the discussion was about.

Height of normal bumpers is the question at hand. Tests have shown the mismatched vehicle heights can cause more damage to vehicles in low speed collisions. The simple fact? Almost all cars and SUVs have grossly different bumper heights and a simple 2-5 mph parking lot thump could cost $5-10K with such a mismatch or under $1K if they are matched in height.

I would expect thick plate steel bumpers on nasty evil diesel trucks to cause more and not less damage to its occupants because the energy will not be absorbed in the structures to the same extent as designed and the potential for the airbag triggering systems to be altered. In other words, the thick steel bumper may increase the deceleration forces to the occupant. I doubt this has been studied.
Old 07-01-2022, 01:36 PM

Why some states do not inspect or test pickup trucks is crazy.

Or worse, exempt them from certain safety regulations. My 6.7 has never been inspected. Why? There is no inspection requirement for pickups like that. Crazy if you ask me. They don't test car's brakes, lights, or any safety equipment. They don't even sniff the tailpipe for emissions. In NJ, they connect to the OMBii and read codes That is all. On my land cruiser, it will once in a while throw a right rear speed sensor code in the rain and light up the dash. The parts have been replaced, it is perplexing. So, it throws the code waiting in line. I figured I'd fail. Guy checking for emission codes was more interested in buying the truck from me if I ever wanted to sell it. Said the warning lights don't matter. That makes no sense to me. When the speed sensor throws a code, the ABS and vehicle stability systems are gone meaning it is just like an old school vehicle, maybe not really a safety issues but not even checking brakes on an inspection? The code goes away and all is fine. Maddening but it is an old thing.
Old 07-01-2022, 02:13 PM

Fight it to the Supreme Court, they'll support him
Old 07-01-2022, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
Or protect big diesels occupants even better if some idiot runs head on into them like I had happen in my truck. Always more than one way to look at things.
There is always a bigger one......https://www.motor1.com/news/269223/s...pc-apocalypse/
Old 07-01-2022, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Ahhh....the memories! I love it!