Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-01-2022, 10:36 AM

I wonder how common this is? They got the Diesel Brothers out here in Utah a year or two ago also. Hopefully this happens a lot.
Old 07-01-2022, 10:39 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren090 View Post
Still waiting for regulation on headlight heights. I drive a regular car and everytime a lifted chode mobile angrily pulls up behind me I'm blinded by their equally chodey headlights
There certainly is regulation about this, just no enforcement. Any good shop (or person) that does lifts should re-aim the headlights afterward.
Old 07-01-2022, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
I wondered about this for years. Our cars have to have bumpers at a certain height to protect ourselves and people in other cars by ensuring that the bumpers match up. We also have to have side beams in our car doors to protect us from impacts by legal-height bumpers. When I look at jacked up vehicles next to my Honda Civic and see the bumpers even with or higher than my head I wonder how they can be legal.
Because they are legal...?

Although bumper height regulations vary by state, the maximum bumper height is typically tied to vehicle size and weight.

Most car bumpers are just plastic coverings over dense honeycomb and are mostly to protect the vehicle in very low speed crashes. In a real crash, it does basically nothing for the occupants unless one has a massive steel bumper but those are rare.
Old 07-01-2022, 10:43 AM

i wonder if the EPA does something regarding cruise ships...oh wait, cant do anything against another mutimillion dollar industry.
https://www.geekyexplorer.com/cruise-ship-pollution/
Old 07-01-2022, 10:44 AM
Steel..what else??

Florida bumper height for street legal vehicles:

Bumper Height Requirements

Owners of automobiles and pickup trucks are required to have both front and rear bumpers mounted within certain height levels. Height limitations are governed by the new shipping weight of the vehicle; not the modified or altered weight. The maximum allowable heights between the pavement and bottom of the front and rear bumper, as provided by Section 316.251, Florida Statutes, are:

Cars with a net weight of less than 2,500 pounds — 22 inches front and rear;
Cars 2,500 pounds or more but less than 3,500 pounds — 24 inches front and 26 inches rear;
Cars 3,500 pounds or more — 27 inches front; 29 inches rear;
Trucks under 2,000 — 24 inches front; 26 inches rear;
Trucks 2,000 pounds or more but less than 3,000 pounds — 27 inches front, and 29 inches rear;
Trucks 3,000 pounds or more but not more than 5,000 pounds — 28 inches front; 30 inches rear.
Old 07-01-2022, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
There certainly is regulation about this, just no enforcement. Any good shop (or person) that does lifts should re-aim the headlights afterward.
Yep!

Also those that tow boats and Rv's and aren't properly set up cause a hazard too with their lights aimed to high when the back end is weighted down. I encounter this a lot where I live with all the campers and boaters that recreate in the little valley where I live.
Old 07-01-2022, 10:47 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
Yep!

Also those that tow boats and Rv's and aren't properly set up cause a hazard too with their lights aimed to high when the back end is weighted down. I encounter this a lot where I live with all the campers and boaters that recreate in the little valley where I live.
That's another good point. I believe some vehicles ( i think maybe VW?) also have self levelling headlights that are mounted on a pivot so they stay aimed correctly regardless of the weight in the rear.
Old 07-01-2022, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
That's another good point. I believe some vehicles ( i think maybe VW?) also have self levelling headlights that are mounted on a pivot so they stay aimed correctly regardless of the weight in the rear.
All cars sold in the U.S. with Xenon or LED headlights are self leveling. All cars in Europe have self leveling headlights.
Old 07-01-2022, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripvanrando View Post
\
Most car bumpers are just plastic coverings over dense honeycomb and are mostly to protect the vehicle in very low speed crashes. In a real crash, it does basically nothing for the occupants unless one has a massive steel bumper but those are rare.
Much progress has been made over the years to improve vehicle crash structures. It makes no sense whatsoever to negate that by allowing road vehicles to have bumpers that don't come close to lining up with such crash structures.

Cycling content. I think it would be better to be hit by someone driving a mid engine Lamborghini vs a Suburban.
Old 07-01-2022, 11:01 AM

Some tunes improves mileage and burn cleaner. I have one on a car. Emissions literally cleaner than stock, and its also tuned for performance (air/fuel mix changed).

What often occurs is tuners don't pay The Man a shakedown fee to get a certification in that state to do biz.

For example, a certain company makes a supercharger for Chevy LS blocks. It's the same damned unit nationwide. If you buy it in CA, it's CARB-certified (i.e. a sticker) because the company paid the state a lotta money to do biz in CA. You could buy the same thing in Arizona, mount it on your car, take it in for emissions testing (smog) and fail the visual, even though the emissions are the same as the CARB-certified unit.

Riddle me that one...

All that aside, rolling coal is both stupid and obnoxious. I'd like to see the individuals get fined too. The state will probably get customer lists next...and the witch hunt shall begin.
Old 07-01-2022, 11:02 AM

Bumper heights over 5,000 pounds are exempt in Florida. This would mean most pickups. This type of exemption is very common state to state.
Old 07-01-2022, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zap View Post
Much progress has been made over the years to improve vehicle crash structures. It makes no sense whatsoever to negate that by allowing road vehicles to have bumpers that don't come close to lining up with such crash structures.
Too many type vehicles on the road for this to even be feasible.
Old 07-01-2022, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zap View Post

Cycling content. I think it would be better to be hit by someone driving a mid engine Lamborghini vs a Suburban.
The 5 mph regulation was downgraded to 2.5 mph.....about 40 years ago. A bumper is not to protect the occupants.

I would never argue that regulations make sense.

Just providing information about what is legal and not legal.

Someone in a honda rear ended me in one of my trucks that has a big heavy steel bumper. It bent a little but I was able use a winch to straighten it fine, the Honda absorbed the impact and crumpled as designed, its occupant was fine. The Honda? Not so good.
Old 07-01-2022, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripvanrando View Post
The 5 mph regulation was downgraded to 2.5 mph.....about 40 years ago. A bumper is not to protect the occupants.
I was referring to crash structures not bumpers.
Old 07-01-2022, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
Too many type vehicles on the road for this to even be feasible.
Pretty easy fix.