Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-30-2022, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmradio516 View Post
Well I emailed them a simple question about the trainer I received two weeks ago and still havent heard back. Its still sitting in the box, but im wondering if it should go back if people have a bunch of problems with it.
I bought an H3 trainer just over two years ago (in Feb '20 just before Covid hit). I've been using it 6-16 hours per week depending on the season, and I've never had one issue. I have mine connected through an AppleTV to a 55" TV. Sometimes, after several sessions, the trainer loses the bluetooth connection with the AppleTV, but I just unplug the H3 power cord and restart the AppleTV. Replug the H3 cord and all is well.
Old 06-30-2022, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Well I emailed them a simple question about the trainer I received two weeks ago and still havent heard back. Its still sitting in the box, but im wondering if it should go back if people have a bunch of problems with it.
What are your questions? Some of us might be able to help.

FWIW, it's perhaps expected that there won't be prompt email responses when the company is about to be sold. That said, I was able to speak to someone on the phone two weeks ago. The phone line might still work and would be worth a try.
Old 06-30-2022, 11:19 PM

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2022/06/...backstory.html
Old 06-30-2022, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post
Interesting read. That DCRM can write! Guess when you're doing it daily, you get good..

Found this in the comments:
cc
June 30, 2022 at 3:50 pm
As an ex-employee, I can’t say I’m surprised. The company is mostly staffed by smart and diligent people trying to make good bike products, but the leadership has continually kicked the stool out from under every department without a family member in it. Here’s hoping the company’s bought by proper business people, as there are some great products and ideas to be had!
I'm still glad I grabbed an H3 at the deal price and offloaded my H2 locally. They make a great product and I doubt they are just going to "go away" in the end.. there's too much money floating around for someone not to pick them up on the cheap and take the long view (hopefully to include keeping employees in WI).
Old 07-01-2022, 05:55 AM

Lets hope so, I would hate to see them go away
Old 07-01-2022, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
What are your questions? Some of us might be able to help.

FWIW, it's perhaps expected that there won't be prompt email responses when the company is about to be sold. That said, I was able to speak to someone on the phone two weeks ago. The phone line might still work and would be worth a try.
Well that original question was about cassette compatibility and Clean answered it for me.

But another q I had was, what are peoples setups like at home? Id like to avoid dedicating a whole computer to this and it would be ideal to not have to borrow my wifes ipad every time i wanna use it.

We're not an AppleTV household but is that the simplest way? We have Firesticks in all our TVs but I double theres a Zwift app available to download on it. Though I havent tried..
Old 07-01-2022, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Well that original question was about cassette compatibility and Clean answered it for me.

But another q I had was, what are peoples setups like at home? Id like to avoid dedicating a whole computer to this and it would be ideal to not have to borrow my wifes ipad every time i wanna use it.

We're not an AppleTV household but is that the simplest way? We have Firesticks in all our TVs but I double theres a Zwift app available to download on it. Though I havent tried..
Tablet would be the easiest. You can buy one used on Swappa for under $150.

Note that the app is quite large; so you’ll want at least 32 gb of storage.

Installing Zwift on a laptop isnt the same as dedicating a whole laptop to Zwift, and one could always run a HDMI cable.

Zwift has a dedicated forum; you may want to pose your question there as well.

Last edited by echappist; 07-01-2022 at 09:23 AM.
Old 07-01-2022, 09:20 AM
Back At It!

Quote:

with my Wahoo, I use Zwift on my Macbook that I project onto a 43" LG TV I picked up for a under $300 at Costco.. I could connect using a cable (or other means possbily) if my TV didn't have Airplay, but I wanted to keep it as simple as possible. I just take the Macbook to the garage when needed and use it as normal otherwise.
Old 07-01-2022, 10:41 AM
Sunshine

Quote:

Appletv is the mix of easiest and best. A tablet is 10" or so. Appletv gives you a 42" or however big screen. It's reliable and loads quickly. Just plug and play.

We have rokus on our 2 main tvs, but apple TV on the one used for zwift and occasional other stuff.
Old 07-02-2022, 12:03 AM

I picked up one at the sale price as my first "smart" trainer, now mostly hoping that it doesn't turn into a boat anchor.

To be fair, if it gets me through a Chicago winter it will have been worth it, so I'm not that anxious.
Old 07-06-2022, 12:10 PM

Has anyone received a trainer from this closeout deal. I told a buddy about this and he ordered same day this thread started. He has a notification of shipping by FedEx and expected delivery 6/30. Still waiting, only tracking update was the initial notice. Could easily be holiday lack of tracking updates and it's touring the country but I wanted to see if anyone had this problem.
Old 07-06-2022, 12:12 PM

Anecdotally, mine turned up about 3 days after shipping, and the tracking was accurate.
Old 07-06-2022, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eephotog View Post
Anecdotally, mine turned up about 3 days after shipping, and the tracking was accurate.
Thanks. We assume it's a FedEx issue, just wanted to check on others experience.
Old 07-06-2022, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GScot View Post
Has anyone received a trainer from this closeout deal. I told a buddy about this and he ordered same day this thread started. He has a notification of shipping by FedEx and expected delivery 6/30. Still waiting, only tracking update was the initial notice. Could easily be holiday lack of tracking updates and it's touring the country but I wanted to see if anyone had this problem.
Mine arrived on time. Shipping notice just means a shipping label has been created. It may not be picked up by FedEx for a day or two. Keep checking the tracking number.

Last edited by parallelfish; 07-06-2022 at 01:44 PM.
Old 07-06-2022, 02:36 PM

I got mine quickly but idk if im up for setting it up as im not sure if im cut out for indoor trainer rides. Seems like a lot of upfront work especially since they dont take campy. Would need to build a shimano bike for it which I have most of the parts for. OR buy a 12s Shimano cassette... Probably wiser to go with the cassette option