Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-19-2022, 04:25 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
The point about the Crux suggested is that it is a gravel bike, and in size 54 has a 71.5 degree HTA and 67mm trail. I wouldn't like that for my mostly road bike, others may like it just fine. Same is true for Lynskey gravel frames. Most stock frames that take chubby tires are too slacked out for me, given that even on unpaved roads i'm not riding where I'd prefer a MTB.
Me too, Or I'd have a Crux and not a Boone probably.

I figured the OP would get there quick if like minded on the chopper effect.
Old 06-19-2022, 05:06 PM
slower than you

Best thing I ever did was get a custom Serotta made for me early in my late life start in cycling. At the time, it was "only" a 600 dollar premium over a rack size and fit. Best 600 bucks evah. Then I took that bike ten years later and sent it to Carl Strong and said, copy that. Five years after that I went to a custom fitter with both bikes for a checkup, or, third opinion, and no problems.

Knowing what little I know, I'd contact Carl Strong for a Pursuit bike right now. And, from what I see of high end carbon off the rack brand name pricing, It looks like you could actually save money, if you choose smart for wheels and group.
Old 06-19-2022, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeBike View Post
This is just another reason to not get a professional fitting. Screw that, I can fit my bikes to my body. I've been doing it for 50 years, and all my bikes are very comfortable. These comments are not meant to be critical. They are about me, only.
That first sentence sure seems to be about everyone, not just you.
Old 06-19-2022, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
The point about the Crux suggested is that it is a gravel bike, and in size 54 has a 71.5 degree HTA and 67mm trail. I wouldn't like that for my mostly road bike, others may like it just fine. Same is true for Lynskey gravel frames. Most stock frames that take chubby tires are too slacked out for me, given that even on unpaved roads i'm not riding where I'd prefer a MTB.
Just depends if a person looking for a 2-in-1 bike to be more suited for the road or more suited for the rough stuff. Oddly, the Crux looks to me to be an amazing choice for a bike that can equally handle both without being the perfect choice for either, but that’s because gravel where I am is rough, steep, and adventurous. The argument that if you need a slacker bike then you should be riding a mtb doesn’t make sense to me. Drop bar bikes with slack HTAs, longer TTs, and shorter stems fit the bill very well improving handling on the terrain without giving up a ton of speed.
Old 06-19-2022, 06:00 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanP View Post
Oddly, the Crux looks to me to be an amazing choice for a bike that can equally handle both without being the perfect choice for either.
Just not for the folk that like their CX HTA to be 73^ like me.

Or else I'd have the Crux and not the Boone. Opps, said that already.

Would I want 61-7mm of trail traits in a pace line ride/bike, I would not.

So for me given the choice of which compromise, BB drop or slacker front end. I went less slack HTA and longer cranks than I use on my 75mm drop Domane Team Issue. I wanted the Boone HTA with the Crux BB drop in a perfect world. [The one in my head...]

I can say I have come to like longer chain Stays and Wheelbase. And with top end carbon levels and stiffness more easily made to compensate, more so.
Old 06-19-2022, 06:04 PM

Last edited by Marvinlungwitz; 01-05-2024 at 09:06 PM.
Old 06-19-2022, 07:01 PM

You and your fitter are both wrong, you need one of these.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2022-06-19 at 7.00.49 PM.jpg (24.1 KB, 242 views)
Old 06-19-2022, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
Just not for the folk that like their CX HTA to be 73^ like me.

Or else I'd have the Crux and not the Boone. Opps, said that already.

Would I want 61-7mm of trail traits in a pace line ride/bike, I would not.
Well, that’s the case with any bike, no? If it doesn’t work for you it doesn’t work for you. Nothing wrong with that, but clearly even if just from the couple owners threads on here it’s working for others, and so it’s reasonable to suggest it for the OP.
Old 06-19-2022, 09:10 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanP View Post
Well, that’s the case with any bike, no? If it doesn’t work for you it doesn’t work for you. Nothing wrong with that, but clearly even if just from the couple owners threads on here it’s working for others, and so it’s reasonable to suggest it for the OP.

Yes, note that I posted the Crux link.

It not being right for me, does not mean it is not right for someone else. I expected that more likely than not actually.

I don't like Domane Geom, except the Race Shop ones [long/low] that are 'so' not Endurance Geom.

But do recommend the endurance geom Domanes to folk frequently. I also made comments about that after reading some OP anti Trek sentiment in the thread too.
Old 06-19-2022, 09:29 PM

Methodology Firefly used for me back in 2013:
- Ride around the building (before where they are now) and see riding position
- Ask me what I liked or disliked
- Measure me
- Sketch up design
- Went into shop and got on their fancy bike sizer to fine tune
- Signed off and made bike

then 2 fusions later...
- Talked to Alchemy (phone)
- Asked me what I liked/disliked ( needed more stack otherwise perfect)
- designed and I signed off
Old 06-19-2022, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post

To danesgod- Pick up a copy of Andy Pruitt's book, Complete Medical Guide for Cyclists. Follow the guidelines in there for selecting a frame size and/or fitting yourself to your current bikes.
Pruitt's book is sold out. Will need to scout the used market. GLWT
Old 06-19-2022, 09:42 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by notlance View Post
Pruitt's book is sold out. Will need to scout the used market. GLWT
search it up on Amazon and then click for used books (unless you want new), plenty of options
Old 06-19-2022, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
Yes, note that I posted the Crux link.

It not being right for me, does not mean it is not right for someone else. I expected that more likely than not actually.

I don't like Domane Geom, except the Race Shop ones [long/low] that are 'so' not Endurance Geom.

But do recommend the endurance geom Domanes to folk frequently. I also made comments about that after reading some OP anti Trek sentiment in the thread too.
Touché

I am the type of person who adjusts pretty easily to geometry changes. When I was between road bikes I used my gravel bike with slacker headtube and high trail for road duty with a second wheelset and the transition was very easy for me. I’m not racing crits or pulling along pacelines at 25+ mph. For my long hilly rides where I ride hard with a couple of buddies it did a great job, and if the bike was “masked” I prob wouldn’t be able to tell it wasn’t a road bike. Which is all to say that somebody not uber sensitive like me is the perfect candidate for a crux or some other bike that has an in between geometry which doesn’t stray too far in one direction or another, and perhaps that’s the OP, too.
Old 06-19-2022, 10:04 PM

Can you be more specific about your fit being "way off".
What adjustments did the fitter make to your bikes and did it help?
Do you have any physical problems like bad back or neck or poor flexibility?
I agree one fitter is just a data point, could be right, wrong or somewhere in between. Also depends on your confidence level with them.
Also agree it would be good if you could a post a video of you riding on a trainer. It could provide a lot a good feedback from folks here.
Custom bikes are a great option but I am not sure you know enough at this point as to what you want. You could talk to some custom builders and see if anything resonates. I ordered a custom bike (my first) a few months ago from the UK. I am 64 and have been riding for 50 years. I never felt I had a fit problem. I looked into finding a fitter and did not find one I felt confident in to spend $300 or more.
Old 06-20-2022, 12:39 AM

I also just got fit on a 2nd hand Moots I got a while back. Biggest change was going from a 120 to 90mm stem.

I already felt I was more tired from medium length rides than the past. I use to have a 110 stem too. There were other fit changes as well.

My opinion is, you took the time and money to get fitted. Take the suggestions and go ride.

A lot of thread I see on here place sooo much weight on DIY mentality. If you got the time, then sure, share your photos / videos and take the time to parse the recommendations. Then you’ll have to take those go on a few rides and see if you feel ok. It’s a lot of trial and error. Also, everyone’s anatomy is different too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk