Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-27-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
I never smoked cigs, couldn't stand the smell. Our Mom did up until I was in fourth or fifth grade and then I started hounding her to quit. Taking her packs and putting pin holes in them or painting the filter ends with her finger nail polish. She finally had enough of the harassment and quit.

William
That's a good one!
Old 03-27-2019, 09:25 PM
slower than you

Just got back from the French Alps skiing. Really got irritated at the smoking. I've spent time in Italy and Spain recently, but this was by far the most smoking I've encountered in public for years. Not a ton up in the mountains, although some people were lighting up next to me on a lift, and the apre ski bars were impossible to be near on the outside ( no interior smoking, thank god), but, when I spent a few days down in Lyon at the end, on a beautiful 60-65 degree weekend, it was impossible to enjoy an outside dining and/or drinking experience due to the smoke. And that town has awesome food and wine. I really appreciate the laws enacted here in my lifetime to make my world smoke free, and I smoked for 16 years.
Old 03-28-2019, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
Having seen inside of computers & such that belonged to smokers the issue here is all the HVAC ductwork in that truck was completely covered in a film of nicotine & tar that will keep making the truck smell for it's lifetime.

The smoke gets into everything and deposits residue everywhere... same thing in houses and such, coats the drywall, yellows the paint, gets in the HVAC ducts, you name it.
I'm old enough to remember when smoking was allowed on planes and you'd be asked whether you wanted your seat in the smoking section or the non-smoking section, as if that was going to make a blind bit of difference.Thank goodness those days are over.

I also remember reading somewhere that the key driver for the airlines eventually adopting a non smoking policy was not because of any health related concern, but it was because they realised they could save heaps of money on cleaning expenses if no-one was able to smoke on board.
Old 03-28-2019, 04:44 AM
Registered (ab)User

Not a smoker. Other than that summer when I was 8 years old and my friend Bruce and I used to shoplift cigarettes from the Giant Eagle grocery store and then hide inside the sewer pipe down by the park to smoke them, I never saw the appeal or felt tempted to imbibe.

But I'm currently reading Tom Robbins' novel Still Life With Woodpecker and he writes this wonderful paragraph:

"Three of the four elements are shared by all creatures, but fire was a gift to humans alone. Smoking cigarettes is as intimate as we can become with fire without immediate excruciation. Every smoker is an embodiment of Prometheus, stealing fire from the gods and bringing it on back home. We smoke to capture the power of the sun, to pacify Hell, to identify with the primordial spark, to feed on the marrow of the volcano. It's not the tobacco we're after but the fire."
Old 03-28-2019, 06:01 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post

But I'm currently reading Tom Robbins' novel Still Life With Woodpecker and he writes this wonderful paragraph:

"Three of the four elements are shared by all creatures, but fire was a gift to humans alone. Smoking cigarettes is as intimate as we can become with fire without immediate excruciation. Every smoker is an embodiment of Prometheus, stealing fire from the gods and bringing it on back home. We smoke to capture the power of the sun, to pacify Hell, to identify with the primordial spark, to feed on the marrow of the volcano. It's not the tobacco we're after but the fire...but stealing fire from the gods exacts a steep price."
Fixed it for you.

W.
Old 03-28-2019, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiertetimestwo View Post
I'm old enough to remember when smoking was allowed on planes and you'd be asked whether you wanted your seat in the smoking section or the non-smoking section, as if that was going to make a blind bit of difference.Thank goodness those days are over.
I was a Flight Attendant during the last of those years. It was hell. Always came home stinking of cigarettes. No pipes or cigars. Those were offensive. Ha! The NS section kept getting bigger & bigger, moved to accommodate non-smokers. Eventually, with no more than 5 rows of smoking, they cut it out entirely. I was so happy when we finally went all non-smoking. Then a few years later, I started working with British Airways, and they still allowed smoking. Trans Atlantic with Europeans smoking up a storm. That was an awful 3 years.
Old 03-28-2019, 08:42 AM

Sooooo a few years ago I was given a box of old briar pipes and some tins of English and Turkish tobacco. It's been a year since I've sparked up a bowl, but when I eventually do stop riding, I will get back into it.

Old 03-28-2019, 09:45 AM
Randomhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiertetimestwo View Post
I also remember reading somewhere that the key driver for the airlines eventually adopting a non smoking policy was not because of any health related concern, but it was because they realised they could save heaps of money on cleaning expenses if no-one was able to smoke on board.
I'm not sure I believe this, since they rarely clean. Okay, I guess emptying cigarette ashes probably cost them a little. But they run the minimum air they can through the cabin, and with smoke they probably had to run a little more air. That is real money, because it costs fuel.

When I was in los vegas, walking was a challenge, I had to dodge the smokers. Hold breath while passing, get to clean air, breath, repeat. Just finding a place outside the hotel to sit smoke free was a challenge. I had to get a prescription for prednisone because I was gasping for air otherwise.
Old 03-28-2019, 02:12 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
I'm not sure I believe this, since they rarely clean. Okay, I guess emptying cigarette ashes probably cost them a little.
Smoke permeates everything porous and settles on every surface. Have you ever smelled the furniture in a smoker's home or a smoker's car? It reeks.
Old 03-29-2019, 06:31 AM
slower than you

Doubtful they scrubbed down the seats every week.
Old 03-29-2019, 06:41 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Smoke permeates everything porous and settles on every surface. Have you ever smelled the furniture in a smoker's home or a smoker's car? It reeks.
tell me about it:

I'm a big watch fanatic too, and several months ago i bought a watch from ebay with what looked like a really nice leather band, which i was looking forward to using.

well - when the box with the watch arrived, i knew i was going to have a problem immediately as the cardboard box itself reeked of smoke.

i wound up throwing the practically new leather strap in the garbage, it stunk.
Old 03-29-2019, 07:04 AM

I bought a BIKE that had been in a smoker's home for a long-ass time, and the freaking STEEL smelled like smoke. Took an unholy amount of degreaser to clean a perceptible layer of residue off of the frame and parts, at which point it finally stopped smelling.
Old 03-29-2019, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
Doubtful they scrubbed down the seats every week.
The old cloth seats? Ever is more like it. Would just change the covers. The foam "flotation seat" never changed unless badly soiled. So the smell stayed.
Old 03-29-2019, 08:07 AM

I bought a used guitar amp... the seller lied (this was over the internet) about condition as it was owned by a smoker.

The whole inside of the amp, circuit board, the horns/baffles inside the speaker all the plastic parts were coated in that smoke/nicotine residue, which then caused dust to stick to everything.

I think it was even inside the potentiometers for the controls.. it developed an issue and i took it all apart and found the gunk all over everything... got it working but it's stopped working again.

Super gross... got it on reverb.com, they have a really unbalanced system that favors the seller over the buyer, not much chance of any resolution from them.
Old 03-29-2019, 08:16 AM

I'm amazed at the number of early morning pot smokers here in Boston. From the bike lane, I'll zoom by so many cars on our chronically clogged streets during the AM commute on my bike, and I always smell pot wafting from so many cars at 8 in the morning. I voted for pot legalization here in MA, so couldn't care less about people using pot for recreational purposes, but I am worried that it seems socially acceptable to smoke and drive. As a bike commuter, it does scare me to think about the number of impaired drivers out there. Replace those morning joints with open containers of beer or liquor in cars, and people would be appalled and probably call the police to get those drivers off the road. Weed, not so much.