Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-01-2022, 01:20 PM

I’ve always loved riding but as of late, riding the roads not quite as much fun - drivers more aggressive in these parts post-pandemic. I also want to get back to more “smell the roses” go an adventure ride.

Thus, sometime this summer will take delivery of a new Rivendell Atlantis and really looking forward to a new dimension of riding.
Old 07-01-2022, 01:21 PM

My riding has waxed and waned over the years due to various factors.
It’s always fun when that spark reignites the cycling passion for myself or others.
Old 07-01-2022, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mass_biker View Post
Love this thread - raises a question for those PLers out there who have chosen this path.

We frequent a place that is quite snowy in the winter - roads are plowed but not rideable on road bikes, and there are some hiking trails in/around.

Toying with the idea of either

- securing a fat bike for cold weather "fun"

- setting up some 650B tires (with spikes) to increase the usefulness of my gravel bike

Any insight or first hand experience would be greatly appreciated - especially with folks who use fat bikes in not-snowy weather (i.e. trying to gauge the utility of this type of steed).

thanks

m_b
I have done both. The 650b option will feel more like riding a drop bar bike and is still capable and fun. A fat bike can take you places that the other bike won't. I ride mine over the snowmobile trails, single track and seasonal roads when the snow flies. Studs help with the traction when things get icy and the right bike can be used in the non winter months for single track with a wheel/tire swap.

The 650b will be faster while the fattie will leave a grin on your face when you have the right conditions that is hard to wipe off.

Sent from my SM-S127DL using Tapatalk