Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-30-2022, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsciencenow View Post
Why would there be plug in ports on the hydro shifters since they are wireless? Aren't there separate shifters for the rim brake 9200 and 8100? I'm not disagreeing with you just asking. In addition, it seems weird to me that they would do rim brake versions DA and Ultregra but not 105, but what do I know? I guess one could just use ultegra shifters (8100) with the 105 groupo, right?
Some riders liked installing extra shift buttons on the drops for sprinting use. Other riders wanted buttons near the stem for climbing. 105 will not accommodate that.
Old 06-30-2022, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbb View Post
Do you mean "no mechanical shift with disc brake"
There will only be hydraulic brakes on 105 12 speed. No cable pull on the lever for the brakes. Electric shifting only.
Old 06-30-2022, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadena View Post
Shimano reacted to the reality of the market.
105 Di2 fills in an entire 12spd lineup nicely.

At these pricepoints, barely anyone is selling rim brake road bikes and even less so in the future.
It just doesn't make sense to keep making it.

If everyone on all these forums actually bought new rim brake bikes, we would have rim/mechanical.
When it comes down to splashing cash, EVERYONE specs disc and electronic.
105 now brings that to SRAM Rival pricepoints, which they really needed to fill in the gap.

Simple fact is Shimano isn't going to make new product if there is zero demand for it.

SRAM has done the same thing. They've abandoned mechanical, etap and only offer AXS now.
The issue now is this new 105 groupset has pushed bikes up a bracket to a price point some or many may not want to pay. I certainly wouldn’t pay the current rate for this on a complete bike. I would rather Ultegra or just stick with Campagnolo 12spd mechanical.
Old 06-30-2022, 05:12 PM

The weight, the horror.....

These mod groups, and I mean disc, sure are hefty. You need carbon wheels and super light frame to get it down decent. It is not my bag baby. I mean compared to mechanical, like a bunch of grams added. Too lazy to look up, but considerable.

Add to that not aero and a PIA. My coin cells are dead, my battery, mmmm, yeah.

Last edited by dana_e; 06-30-2022 at 05:16 PM.
Old 06-30-2022, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinslow View Post
I agree with this. Not long ago you could get a CAAD10/12 with Ultegra for 2k. It was fast and lighter than any current offering. Easy to service and high resale value. My first legit race bike was a Cervelo S1 with Ultegra for 2200$. We need high-performance bikes at lower price points to get young people who aren't super wealthy into the sport.
Caad Optimo with 105 for MSRP $1,625. https://www.cannondale.com/en-us/bik.../caad-optimo-1

Allez Elite with Rival 22 for MSRP $1700. https://www.specialized.com/us/en/al...=322264-199474

Giant TCR Advanced with 105 for MSRP $2,450. https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/tc...-2-pro-compact

Rim brake bikes every bit as good as the ones that used to be available, for essentially the same money or less adjusted for inflation.

Over the past decade, the market has expanded tremendously at the top. If you judge where you are in relation to the top of the market, then yes, it's gotten a lot more expensive to be in the same relative position. But if you judge these bikes on their absolute merits, they are every bit as good as what you could get a decade ago for comparable prices.

There seem to be a lot of folks here who seem to thing that wanting disc brakes or electronic shifting are frivolous luxuries forced upon the public by marketing executives, but wanting a groupset that's marketed as "top tier" isn't.
Old 06-30-2022, 05:48 PM

So will Campagnolo release one further mechanical and/or rim brake generation? It is hard to imagine that it makes sense as the majority of the frames will most likely be disc and electronic only going forward.

Last edited by GreenJersey; 06-30-2022 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Error
Old 06-30-2022, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinchris View Post
There will only be hydraulic brakes on 105 12 speed. No cable pull on the lever for the brakes. Electric shifting only.
Weird. Someone on another forum (who has had some reliable and, so far, accurate info pre-launch) has said there is a mechanical 105 12 sp hydro group coming as well.

Time will tell!
Old 06-30-2022, 07:39 PM

am I correct that R7100 costs more than R8070, weighs more, missing servo wave, missing free stroke adjustment and limited to gravel sized cassettes?

However, you get an extra cog and wireless shifters.

Last edited by openwheelracing; 06-30-2022 at 07:44 PM.
Old 06-30-2022, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheelracing View Post
am I correct that R7100 costs more than R8070, weighs more, missing servo wave, missing free stroke adjustment and limited to gravel sized cassettes?

However, you get an extra cog and wireless shifters.
It has free stroke.
Old 07-01-2022, 06:22 AM

Yep, free stroke and reach adjustment.

If I were to build a 105 Di2 bike I'd probably use ultegra levers though... not having the hood buttons and not being able to plug anything into the levers doesn't really work for me
Old 07-01-2022, 06:28 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakatel_Luum View Post
The issue now is this new 105 groupset has pushed bikes up a bracket to a price point some or many may not want to pay. I certainly wouldn’t pay the current rate for this on a complete bike. I would rather Ultegra or just stick with Campagnolo 12spd mechanical.
Kinda inevitable, higher $ for electronic, all wet disc all the time. shimano is all about OEM and sticking it to sram OEM..their market isn't groups that get put on frames by bike shops or individuals.
Ultegra electronic about same $ as DA mechanical..
Record EPS about the same $ as SR mechanical...
105 electronic about the same $ as Ultegra mechanical...about the same $ as Centaur mechanical.....
Old 07-01-2022, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbb View Post
Weird. Someone on another forum (who has had some reliable and, so far, accurate info pre-launch) has said there is a mechanical 105 12 sp hydro group coming as well.

Time will tell!
Many people believe there is still a potential mechanical group that will be offered that is not Tiagra.
Old 07-01-2022, 07:06 AM
Steel..what else??

I think new riders are going to eat this up.
Disc brakes like your car and no cables to adjust!!!!
Old 07-01-2022, 11:20 AM

I already have a set of DA ST-R9100 in the drawer for the Firefly, and I just today bought a new set of Ultegra ST-R8020 on eBay to put in the drawer for the Bingham. I don't get along ergonomically with Campy levers, and 11 speed works well for me with the HG800 11-34 cassette, which I have a few of in the drawer.

I decided the cost of stocking up a bit is small relative to the value and enjoyment I get out of these two bikes, which get the most miles of all my bikes. I also have a complete SRAM XX1 11 speed drivetrain in the drawer for my FS 29er.

No strong value judgement about e-shifting, I'm sure it works great, but the mech stuff works great too.