Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-30-2022, 04:13 PM

Last edited by Marvinlungwitz; 01-05-2024 at 08:57 PM.
Old 06-30-2022, 04:14 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Re: Niacin (aka Vitamin B3)

I decided to add a bit of nutritional yeast to my post gym workout smoothie - it has quite a bit of niacin. One issue is that it's going to be quite a while until I get any more information on my cholesterol levels, so I'll have no clue if the nutritional yeast is helping or not until then.
Old 06-30-2022, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
I had cholesterol issues as well. Took statins for years...with sore knees most of the time. Your numbers look good to me....if you tolerate your meds OK.

Then about 1 year ago....My cardiologist recommended I try one of the new (er) PCSK9 inhibitor injectable cholesterol meds.

My insurance covers Praluent. Wouldn't cover Rapatha. So started injecting 150 Mg Praluent every 2 weeks. It is adminisered with a throw away injector pen every two weeks. Almost painless. I inject it usually in upper thigh.

WOW....wish I had known about this drug earlier. It immediaely drove my LDL down to about 50. My HDL stayed the same around 45, but tri's went to around 100, and total just over 100.

Nothing worked for me before...no matter my diet. Had high cholesterol for many years. Probably contributed to my LAD stent placement. And I have noticed ZERO side effects. For those taking statins, and suffering, check them out. BTW...HDL didn't change for me on these new drugs. But sure drove LDL down.

I have been on Crestor 20mg and my LDL keeps changing, it has been as low as 62 and as high as 122. Last time it was 99 and that was after reducing intake of meat by a lot. Doctors cannot explain it. I increased to 40mg a few weeks ago. If this doesn't work then one of these drugs is the next step for me.
Old 06-30-2022, 04:51 PM

I have a Medicare Advantage Plan from United which includes a CVS Caremark drug plan. I pay a $40 co pay for a 3 month supply of Praluent if It is sent to nearest CVS pharmacy. (Won't do a mail order to home for some reason)

$60 co pay if sent to my regular pharmacy. Have no idea what others cost or if the very latest one is even covered by my insurance.

My point is if you have problems with statins, or need more results than you get from statins....other drugs are now available. My cardiologist was reluctan to mention these drugs.....he must have thought I wouldn't pay that much. But to me, it's a bargain. (now awaiting a BP drug you can take this way....heard about one you take every 6 months)

Last edited by Ralph; 06-30-2022 at 04:53 PM.
Old 06-30-2022, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Aside: As best I can tell, the primary benefit of "high" HDL is that it helps to lower other forms of cholesterol.

For example, the text below is from the Mayo Clinic web site here:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...l/art-20046388

So, if my other types of cholesterol aren't too high (and they don't appear to be) then it seems to me that having a lowish HDL isn't necessarily a big deal. At least that's what my layman's logic suggests. I may be wrong, which is why I posted my question in the first place.
This right here is the correct answer. With total and LDL cholesterol numbers like yours, there is no need to worry about HDL being too low. That said, cholesterol is a necessary component for healthy cell function so it can be too low.