Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-20-2022, 05:57 PM

A few more thoughts

Even if you're fitter is spot on, its a big jump from a fit plan to an actual bike. Working with a builder will allow him or her to vary tube selection in order to design a frame that rides how you want it to ride. So no, its not just about looks. Remember also that a production frameset in any given size is designed to fit a wide variety of riders. Take two riders, both are six feet tall. One weighs 140 pounds and the other weighs 250. Both riders "fit" a 58cm frame, but the same frame will ride very differently for these riders. That's the beauty of a custom frame. It's not all about fit, that's only part of the equation.
When I was talking options for my Breadwinner I asked about using a Columbus Max toptube, (for no other reason than I think the bi-ovalized top tube is freakin' sexy.) Ira, who knows how tubing selection translates into ride characteristics, very politely told me my idea would not work. So, again, work with an experienced builder, you get so much more than a bike that fits.
Old 06-20-2022, 11:37 PM

Give Eric Rolf at Alliance Cycles a call. He builds both steel and ti frames and learned his trade under Carl Strong. Just check the feedback and comments on his work provided by Paceline members.
Old 06-21-2022, 05:33 AM

An above post mentions a fitter making changes just to justify to the rider the spending of $300-$400 dollars. I have posed this question before, and have never received an answer; " Has anyone on this forum ever paid a professional fitter only to be told they need to make no changes, their bike fit is just fine."?
Old 06-21-2022, 05:44 AM
slower than you

Me. But that was more of a "checkup" fit session after knee surgery and the discomfort that followed. It wasn't about the bike.
Old 06-21-2022, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GParkes View Post
I believe in bike fit. Period. Stop. I would also caution you that at times some bike fitters feel compelled to make changes simply because they charged you $300-$400. It can be hard for a client to swallow the concept that they just paid good money for no change, or confirmation of what they already knew. ....
True story: Many years ago, a Serotta fitter was invited to give a seminar and perform fittings at a local bike shop. As our bike club's newsletter editor, I thought I'd pay for a fitting and write about it, even though I had no intention of changing anything on my bike.

The fitter put me on the Serotta Size-Cycle, asked me if I knew the numbers of my current bike, and set up the Size-Cycle with those numbers. He looked at me and proclaimed there was nothing wrong with my position on the bike. I was done in five minutes rather than an hour. And instead of charging me the standard then $100, he charged me all of ten bucks.
Old 06-21-2022, 06:16 AM

Last edited by Marvinlungwitz; 01-05-2024 at 09:01 PM.
Old 06-21-2022, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
True story: Many years ago, a Serotta fitter was invited to give a seminar and perform fittings at a local bike shop. As our bike club's newsletter editor, I thought I'd pay for a fitting and write about it, even though I had no intention of changing anything on my bike.

The fitter put me on the Serotta Size-Cycle, asked me if I knew the numbers of my current bike, and set up the Size-Cycle with those numbers. He looked at me and proclaimed there was nothing wrong with my position on the bike. I was done in five minutes rather than an hour. And instead of charging me the standard then $100, he charged me all of ten bucks.
That's the way it should be. Yes time is money, explain to the client same, charge them a reasonable for the time, keep them for life.
Old 06-21-2022, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post

I'd probably say that's good reason to recommend that fitter, esp if you knew others that they actually helped.

It's always good to see someone with morals that can look at something and know that they really don't need to do jack because it's good as is, instead of doing this that and the other thing to make a buck.
Old 06-22-2022, 05:23 AM
v a n i l l a

Fitter suggests
> narrower bars
> +17d x 80mm

You
> 54 or 55 frame
> some numbness

Did fitter change anything else?
Saddle height?
Saddle setback?
What bar width/drop and stem were you riding before the fit?
Hard to say anything without knowing more about what fitter changed you from

The tall head tube endurance frame design seems congruent with using a +17d x80 on a 54/55

Absolutely agree - do not commission a custom frame without riding the recommended setup in your existing for awhile.
Old 06-22-2022, 02:48 PM

From the fitting summary:
  • Adjusted cleats and shoes to match foot function and structure
  • Moved cleats forward 3mm
  • Set cleats to wide stance width
  • Added 2mm washers for increased stance width
  • Set cleat angle to 5d external rotation
  • Tested and installed BG++ insoles
  • Tested and installed 1 varus wedge in each shoe
  • Raised saddle 5mm
  • Moved saddle forward 5mm
  • Used Fit bars and adjustable fit stem to find optimal handlebar and hood position
What I've already done:
  • 80mm/17deg stem
  • FSA Omega 42cm bar (40cm center to center)
What I haven't done yet (and may not do on this bike):
  • 170mm cranks
Took it out on a 23 mile, flat-ish (for me) ride this morning,. It definitely felt different, not obviously better. I was certainly overthinking the fit - so take this all with a grain of salt. A few good things I noticed included: I felt like I could output more power while sitting, my standing position was less stretched out (and the total distance between sitting and standing positions was smaller), downhill cornering felt more natural... I used to feel like I was forcing leaning on corners this morning it occured w/o thinking. I had some toe numbess in both feet, one foot resolved around mile 10, the other near the end of the ride - not sure what to make of that.

Before and after photos.
Old 06-22-2022, 03:08 PM
Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by danesgod View Post
Your shoulders are relaxed in the 'after' pic. That alone is good. Relaxed shoulders and some slight arm bend = better fit, typically.
Old 06-22-2022, 03:40 PM

That is a pretty drastic fit change.

I would imagine that much of a change would result in very noticeable body changes. I've only done one one pro fitting before. BH? It helped. If I remember right, a shorter reach and a slightly lower saddle were the main changes... They resulted in more hamstring engagement and more relaxed shoulders.

That was in 2008, and I have really only copied that fit ever since.

Maybe I'll do another one someday, maybe not.
Old 06-22-2022, 04:03 PM

Wow, that is drastic! I’d just go out and keep riding.

My fit was drastic too and waiting for the weather to cool down to put in some mileage.

The vain part of me wants to go 10mm longer for the stem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-23-2022, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
Your shoulders are relaxed in the 'after' pic. That alone is good. Relaxed shoulders and some slight arm bend = better fit, typically.

Yeah, the before pic looks terrible in that regard.
Old 06-27-2022, 01:10 PM

What was done on the front end between the two fits, if you don't mind me asking? The "after" looks real comfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danesgod View Post
From the fitting summary:
  • Adjusted cleats and shoes to match foot function and structure
  • Moved cleats forward 3mm
  • Set cleats to wide stance width
  • Added 2mm washers for increased stance width
  • Set cleat angle to 5d external rotation
  • Tested and installed BG++ insoles
  • Tested and installed 1 varus wedge in each shoe
  • Raised saddle 5mm
  • Moved saddle forward 5mm
  • Used Fit bars and adjustable fit stem to find optimal handlebar and hood position
What I've already done:
  • 80mm/17deg stem
  • FSA Omega 42cm bar (40cm center to center)
What I haven't done yet (and may not do on this bike):
  • 170mm cranks
Took it out on a 23 mile, flat-ish (for me) ride this morning,. It definitely felt different, not obviously better. I was certainly overthinking the fit - so take this all with a grain of salt. A few good things I noticed included: I felt like I could output more power while sitting, my standing position was less stretched out (and the total distance between sitting and standing positions was smaller), downhill cornering felt more natural... I used to feel like I was forcing leaning on corners this morning it occured w/o thinking. I had some toe numbess in both feet, one foot resolved around mile 10, the other near the end of the ride - not sure what to make of that.

Before and after photos.