Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-19-2022, 01:02 PM

The blessing and curses of my first bike fit...

I've been riding around on two used bikes: 54 cm Klien Aura XV (Al-carbon mix, road) and a 55 cm Jamis Aurora Elite (steel, gravel conversion). I'm not sure why I waited so long, but I finally got my first professional bike fitting with the intention of replacing my Jamis for a Ti gravel bike. Lo-and-behold, neither bike fits me that well. ~$100 worth of parts (shoe inserts, bars, and stem) gets my Klien well-fitted but now I don't particularly like the way it looks (I was waffling about replacing a groupset vs upgrading it anyway). My gravel bike is waaay off. Now I'm at a loss of how to proceed, so I'm looking for advice on all things or links to the best reading materials - here or elsewhere on the web (there's a lot of good discussions here on the forum I'm starting to dig into, but I'm not super active, so if there are great threads on this just let me know).

I'm on the SF Bay Area peninsula, realistically I ride more road than gravel, and my gravel rides are usually mixed. If I want to go mountain biking, I drive somewhere and bring my MTB. This leads me to think I should preferentially replace my road bike first. I'm not opposed to replacing both at the same time but that seems... $extreme$. I'm also not opposed to getting one bike with two sets of wheels to do-it-all, but I'm concerned I'll end up with a bike that does neither well. I don't race, but I liked my Klien because it felt race-y (probably headtube angle?) compared to my gravel bike. I don't (usually) ride super complex trails on my gravel bike, and have enough experience to navigate even a road bike on gravel. So maybe an "adventure-road" style will do it all.

The two bikes my fitter recommended in terms of geometry were a Trek Domane and a Specialized Roubaix (more of an endurance fit) - I'll have my full numbers in a report in a few days - but my understanding was a need a shorter reach and higher stack than what's on both of my bikes. For slightly pretentious reasons that everyone here can appreciate, I'm very unlikely to ride a Trek or Specialized (although I do like the aesthetics of the Aethos). We also talked a bit about getting a custom bike, and my fitter said, "if price isn't an issue and you don't want an off the shelf bike, that's the best way to go."

Now I'm completely overwhelmed with options and potentially am looking at two new bikes!

Some of the companies / builders I like are (in no particular order): Moots, Speedvagen, Stinner, Caletti (not taking orders), No. 22, Firefly, Seven (there are others I've probably forgotten). I lean toward Ti, but I'm not opposed to a light steel build (Speedwagen/Stinner). All of these companies have road bikes, gravel bikes, and bikes that split the difference. Very few of these I can actually test ride - and test rides are pretty inconvenient (e.g. a Moots test ride is 1.5 hr away and I have young kids). I'm not even sure a test ride is useful: If it fits well, I can tweak the exact ride quality with components, right? Does it just come down to looks then?

I'm not opposed to carbon (my MTB is an Evil Calling), but very few carbon road bikes have the look I like (I mentioned above I like the Aethos). I would also buy used if I can find what I'm looking for.

What would you do paceline friends? Two new bikes or one that does both with two sets of wheels? One new bike at a time? Carbon or metal for road? Ti or steel for gravel?

As a last note: I'm fortunate to have budgeted well for this. At this point I'm focused on finding my ideal bike and I'll consider price secondarily (and price may inform my buying schedule if I go with two bikes).

Thanks for reading my wall of text; happy father's day dads; happy Sunday all -Danesgod
Old 06-19-2022, 01:26 PM

One viewpoint:
- if going custom Ti, Brad Bingham - check out my bike in the custom bike gallery
- if you ride more road than gravel, then you may want a road bike that accepts wider than typical tires, so the geo isn't slacked out and sluggish on the road. So the first step is to figure out what the max tire width you want.
- Two sets of wheels is a more affordable way to start but doesn't preclude having N+1 when the time comes

I run 650Bx38 or 42 on the Bingham. It has road geo but will accept 650Bx48 tires. I'm not sure of the max 700C tire, guessing a 38. I've run the bike with 700Cx25 and it becomes a pure road bike (with disc brakes). Since I have a Firefly rim brake pure road bike, the 700C wheels are mostly a spare wheelset.

Good luck!
Old 06-19-2022, 01:34 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Due to your Atheos comment, I'd suggest you hit this CRUX page.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/cr...=322101-199960

Last edited by robt57; 06-19-2022 at 02:06 PM.
Old 06-19-2022, 02:00 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Purposely made 2nd post on this point.

I have a few upper end Treks, I feel the same way about having Trek/Bonty badged stuff. Not so that you can tell, as I overlook it for excellence of 2/3 I have. And ne my wife has which I have no jurisdiction over, WSD Geom, period end of story there.

Spesh wise, the naked looks and any S-Works combined is OK on my plate simply put. S-Works Logo rather than SPESH/Hello preferred, frame excellent of S-Works is really 2nd to none IMO.

I should mention I have 4 upper end steel customs. FWIW.

Treks of which I speak are 2013 Team Issue Domane Classics, and newly built 2021 Boone Disc RSL [Boones are all RSL I believe]

And there is always Treks Project One to make one look less like what you may not like the look of.

So like the S-Works Spesh, the OCLV 600 and up Treks are certainly worth their salt. And companies that aren't likely to be gone when you need a warranty claim processed if that is a factor.
Old 06-19-2022, 01:34 PM

You have the option of getting an Internet bike fit here; just post photos of you on your bikes. Opinions will be forthcoming.

I'd find the cheapest option to be able to ride this new fit for a couple of months and see if the fit works for you or if it needs tweeking. Then purchase something with specific for your fit.
Old 06-19-2022, 01:54 PM

This is just another reason to not get a professional fitting. Screw that, I can fit my bikes to my body. I've been doing it for 50 years, and all my bikes are very comfortable. These comments are not meant to be critical. They are about me, only.
Old 06-19-2022, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeBike View Post
This is just another reason to not get a professional fitting. Screw that, I can fit my bikes to my body. I've been doing it for 50 years, and all my bikes are very comfortable. These comments are not meant to be critical. They are about me, only.
That first sentence sure seems to be about everyone, not just you.
Old 06-19-2022, 01:56 PM
Back At It!

if you don't mind carbon and want something a little off the norm in your next group ride, I'd take a look at Parlee.. https://parleecycles.com/altumdisc/

I think the Altum would get you what you fitter suggests with the variable top cap, the con is, per the site, tires only up to 28mm.

For something just a touch more mainstream in carbon, I like the Cervelo Caledonia https://www.cervelo.com/en-US/bikes/caledonia or the Caldonia-5 if you want through the stem cables..

for non-carbon, I think it's hard to pass up Lynskey unless you just gotta have that Moots level Ti..

tough decisions for sure, I'm going through the same stuff.. sometimes I lean toward custom steel like a Sycip, other days I think about Lynskey or Cervelo..
Old 06-19-2022, 02:01 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by hindmost View Post
i'd find the cheapest option to be able to ride this new fit for a couple of months and see if the fit works for you or if it needs tweeking. Then purchase something with specific for your fit.

^^^ This

If you are in que for a custom frame that geom can be tweaked prior to actual build commences, good.
Expensive mistake hurt the most arguably...

Disregard the look of/for the test platform bike would be my suggestion.

Last edited by robt57; 06-19-2022 at 02:05 PM.
Old 06-19-2022, 02:22 PM

I'd have to know a lot more about the difference in the final fit of each bike. What constitutes a proper fit is a matter of opinion. A fitter might say that every pro rider has a terrible fit with their large saddle to bar drop and long reach.

I know whether a frame will fit based on the stack and reach. The STA just tells me what seat post setback I'll need.

Typically a gravel bike has 20-40mm more stack and a little shorter reach. I wouldn't expect a radically different fit.
Old 06-19-2022, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hindmost View Post
You have the option of getting an Internet bike fit here; just post photos of you on your bikes. Opinions will be forthcoming.

I'd find the cheapest option to be able to ride this new fit for a couple of months and see if the fit works for you or if it needs tweeking. Then purchase something with specific for your fit.
^^This^^

Both points--get accustomed to your new fit, and let us see pics (especially if you feel it isn't working...
Old 06-19-2022, 02:36 PM
Back At It!

agree on getting something that is of the fit parameters your fitter gave you.. I don't agree, at at least put much stock into, showing us pictures.. my feeling is a static picture is "staged" as you aren't dynamic and is not a true representation of how you might look chugging along at 18mph.. better would be a video on a trainer, 15 minutes into a 18mph session (or 15mph, whatever is moderately hard for you). Only then will you have settled into the bike as you would on a ride and, hopefully, before you get too tired to let you form go to crap..

I think the best fit is when the fitter actually goes for a ride with you.. as rare as that might be. pretty sure I read that somewhere in TiDesigns stuff..
Old 06-19-2022, 02:51 PM

Welcome. A Moots Routt RSL is a monster gravel bike that many choose to outfit with several sets of wheels for multipurpose use. I think gearing choices that many choose for gravel would not be optimal for road use. You can have the one bike to rule, but do you want to? Buying one bike first might help you decide if the geometry is just right for you and if you do indeed like that material. I say choose one and make the second decision based on the first
My choice for a gravel bike today is that Moots. For a road bike, I am intrigued with Argonaut as they have a full custom option for geometry, but in addition, they will modify stock or custom geo to make a frame to best suit your weight and wattage by adjusting the carbon lay up. The Argo will also accommodate 35mm tires which can allow you to try some light off road or gravel if you wanted that flexibility in a road bike. The Moots RCS is a double butted Ti race bike that also will accommodate 35mm tires with a less racer geometry than the Vamoots RCS. I think they made a marketing mistake to advertise it as a multipurpose road bike. I think it is a more contemporary version of what a race bike should be.
Sacha White at Speedvagen does an amazing bike fit too. His steel bikes feel as light as many carbon bikes and can be as lively as Ti. A totally unique aesthetic. Road or gravel.
I have never heard anything but accolades about Strong and DeSalvo.
Sometimes it is as important how you feel about the bike as how the bike feels. Hah. Enjoy your research’, communicate with the various companies and make a great decision.
Old 06-19-2022, 03:16 PM

The point about the Crux suggested is that it is a gravel bike, and in size 54 has a 71.5 degree HTA and 67mm trail. I wouldn't like that for my mostly road bike, others may like it just fine. Same is true for Lynskey gravel frames. Most stock frames that take chubby tires are too slacked out for me, given that even on unpaved roads i'm not riding where I'd prefer a MTB.
Old 06-19-2022, 04:25 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
The point about the Crux suggested is that it is a gravel bike, and in size 54 has a 71.5 degree HTA and 67mm trail. I wouldn't like that for my mostly road bike, others may like it just fine. Same is true for Lynskey gravel frames. Most stock frames that take chubby tires are too slacked out for me, given that even on unpaved roads i'm not riding where I'd prefer a MTB.
Me too, Or I'd have a Crux and not a Boone probably.

I figured the OP would get there quick if like minded on the chopper effect.