Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-21-2018, 08:34 PM

OT Koi

Winter approaches - Any Koi pond owners? What do you do to prep? This will be my first winter with nice fish...
Old 10-21-2018, 08:41 PM
Barely Hanging On

As someone who has always been fascinated by Koi, even though I don't have a pond and likely never will, I'm quite interested in this thread.
Old 10-21-2018, 09:27 PM

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RcJ7TqhH2rUez17Y9

The pond has had a full year to cycle and build a proper 'nitrogen cycle' and has an excellent natural bacterial filter. The only plants are elephant ear - Ill cut those back to root. I suppose I remove the UV light?

Last edited by Dekonick; 10-21-2018 at 09:33 PM.
Old 10-21-2018, 09:29 PM

If it's deep enough to not freeze all the way to the bottom, and you do something to keep one area on the surface open for oxygen exchange, they should be fine. You should check with pond stores in your area to see how deep is deep enough. I used to have a pond in St. Louis, which I think has similar weather to your area, and 2 feet deep was enough there.
Old 10-21-2018, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
If it's deep enough to not freeze all the way to the bottom, and you do something to keep one area on the surface open for oxygen exchange, they should be fine. You should check with pond stores in your area to see how deep is deep enough. I used to have a pond in St. Louis, which I think has similar weather to your area, and 2 feet deep was enough there.
+1

I have kept aquarium and pond fish since I was a kid. I did a pond experiment here in Scottsdale. Keep in mind, this is not the tropics, but an environment with great temperature fluctuation -- low 20's to 110.

I had read an old text about when tropical fish were first brought to Europe. Basically, the collectors would catch what they could, put them into barrels and, with no further care, ship for six weeks to Europe. What survived survived, and among those were the Blue Paradise Gourami. The Superfish.

There were accounts of Blue Paradise kept in ponds in English greenhouses where ice would occasionally develop on the surface, but the fish survived.

I wanted to test this, so I set up a pond in my backyard out of the sun. I stocked it with 2 pair. By the end of the first season there were 10. By year 5 there were more than a hundred. In the heat of the summer, when fed, they would hit the surface like hungry Rainbows. During several of those years, the night temperature got cold enough that I had to break the ice in the morning.

The experiment was a success. That is, until the local raccoons found the pond and had a beer and fish Octoberfest. Even so, the Blue Paradise proved themselves to be Superfish -- air breathers who can withstand bad water conditions and relative cold and heat.

Have fun with your Koi.

Last edited by RFC; 10-21-2018 at 09:55 PM.
Old 10-21-2018, 09:54 PM

Thanks. The pond is deep. Almost 40" in the inner circle. 24" to the top of the rock in the middle of the pond and the second ledge, 12" on the first ledge. Did you keep your waterfalls running all winter? Our last house had a long waterfall with a pondless reservoir. We ran it year round. The wildlife in winter was amazing.

Do you do any specific water treatments? Any winter bacteria?

I have stopped feeding the fish already as they have become sluggish.

Thanks!
Old 10-21-2018, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekonick View Post
Thanks. The pond is deep. Almost 40" in the inner circle. 24" to the top of the rock in the middle of the pond and the second ledge, 12" on the first ledge. Did you keep your waterfalls running all winter? Our last house had a long waterfall with a pondless reservoir. We ran it year round. The wildlife in winter was amazing.

Do you do any specific water treatments? Any winter bacteria?

I have stopped feeding the fish already as they have become sluggish.

Thanks!
Yes, I kept the waterfall running all winter. It helps oxygenate the water when it's covered by ice.

I did not do any special water treatments.
Old 10-22-2018, 12:25 AM
Super Moderator

First - good to see you back after so many years.
Second- raccoons have had field days with two different buddies ponds here in Oregon. A small electric fence added after the first loses kept the critters out.
Old 10-22-2018, 07:30 AM

Thanks Gassssman! Good to be back.

The last few years have been... busy. Special needs kid, father had open heart surgery, aortic valve replacement, A-fib ablation that wasn't 100%... mother passed after a long battle with Alzheimer's... I was going to nursing school full time while working full time... All while we built a house, had to sell a house, and Ellicott City flooded... twice. Not much bike riding. For the record, nursing school sucks - especially if you are a 20+ year experienced medical professional, male, and a physiology nerd. I still find I have more in common with the docs than the nurses when it comes to thought process, treatment modality, etc... Oh well, it is done and now I can focus on family for a bit before deciding if CRNA or NP is worth the effort. Med school is out of the question - Too many friends keep warning me to stay far away... and I have seen the BS involved. Residents are abused - although it is much better today compared to the '90's.

Back on task - My Koi pond has become quite a hobby. We love them. My kids, wife, even the dog. So far, no problems from raccoons, but the pond is deep enough they have shelter. Too deep for them to walk the edge, edge ledge is too wide for them to reach the area they normally circle. Lots of coons so I think we are thus far fine... Herons... so far we are safe. Lots of Hawks, and from what I hear, Hawks keep the herons at bay.

Last year we had goldfish - just to test the water. They survived winter. The Koi aren't huge, but big enough - 20" for the white female, she is 8. The rest are only 2. All are from the same breeder.

I do change the water often. When there is no rainfall significant enough to replace the volume, I do 50% changes weekly.

I never thought fish could become 'pets' but Koi actually get to know you... It is very peaceful and relaxing to sit by the pond, listen to the water, and chill.

Highly recommended! seriously! Just do it right - Kind of like bikes...
Old 10-22-2018, 10:37 AM

Well, besides bringing luck, Koi in Japan are admired for perseverance. The Japanese are a bit like Edison- invention is 1% inspiration, 99% perspiration. Sometimes, luck is the result of perseverance.

A few years ago, a koi appeared in the Bronx River right by Popham Road in Scarsdale just below the little dam. It was magical, and my daughters would feed it whenever we walked along the pathway. It just disappeared one day.

Again, as if by magic. I hope a little luck goes your way.

Last edited by verticaldoug; 10-22-2018 at 10:40 AM.
Old 10-22-2018, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekonick View Post
Special needs kid, father had open heart surgery, aortic valve replacement, A-fib ablation that wasn't 100%... mother passed after a long battle with Alzheimer's... I was going to nursing school full time while working full time... All while we built a house, had to sell a house, and Ellicott City flooded... twice. Not much bike riding...

Alright, I'm ashamed now. I have only one item out of that menu, and still I complain (and never ride)... Good on you for your persistence and dedication, and if you can do all that and still have time to sit by the koi pond, my hat's off to you.
Old 10-22-2018, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cachagua View Post
Alright, I'm ashamed now. I have only one item out of that menu, and still I complain (and never ride)... Good on you for your persistence and dedication, and if you can do all that and still have time to sit by the koi pond, my hat's off to you.
That is why I needed the Koi pond. If you watch my video link, you will see Spotless - that is our Toncho who lost her spot (the big white fish) and Monarch - the big orange butterfly koi. She is a Chagoi. They are both friendly and will come hang out with you and let you 'pet' them. The others are more skittish. Believe it or not, the pond and waterfall are serene - and cathartic in a way... perhaps not the best choice of words... but when I see the waterfall, the pond, the koi... frogs and toads... a dragonfly or two... each season different. Yes - cathartic is a proper description. It cleanses... sometimes peaceful, sometimes melancholy, but one always leaves the pond feeling better. A great place to contemplate life. Koi are... a welcome addition.
Old 10-22-2018, 03:34 PM
Administrator

Hey D, welcome back!

I could sit next to your pond for hours. My parents had a pretty nice set up and I have suggested many times that Koi would be a nice addition. I'm going to share your video link and see what they think.

You can see their old place here...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqFnOplgpdk

New place is coming along and will be similar.

William
Old 10-22-2018, 07:13 PM

:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
Hey D, welcome back!

I could sit next to your pond for hours. My parents had a pretty nice set up and I have suggested many times that Koi would be a nice addition. I'm going to share your video link and see what they think.

You can see their old place here...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqFnOplgpdk

New place is coming along and will be similar.

William

William,

What a tranquil landscape. Beautiful. Only concern I would have is that fish are an afterthought to that pond so make sure they add a few koi shelters. That, and get all of your koi from the same breeder - like bikes, there is a difference. Unlike bikes, they spread flaws and pests... I can easily see a school of 5 or 6 growing to substantial size and bringing great joy. They can live for 30+ years.

If you are going to do a Koi pond, I strongly advise consulting with someone who builds ponds for Koi, not just a water feature / hardscape design as the requirements are drastically different. I would have done mine differently if I had only known what I now know... best advice: make it big - then build it double that size. Deep... flow... no dead zones... and filtration... filtration... filtration... spend the $$ up front and get a bead filter system... even better get one that is automatic... Koi crap a lot... you want bottom drains... I wish I had bottom drains... Bottom drains that go to your sediment trap and bead filter... that hopefully is automatic... Best!

Dek

And you thought bikes were expensive...

https://www.kodamakoifarm.com/

My Koi are all from Kodama via a local Koi dealer. She buys, treats, grows for a year, then sells them. Here you see my son picking some of the Koi. https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...CMsqGEhB_ONsBq Here are more pictures of the pond. It looks small, but it is deep.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/FS4w8GVivGLpf3P36 https://photos.app.goo.gl/qdd711eaNN8C49sb7

Last edited by Dekonick; 10-22-2018 at 07:53 PM.
Old 10-26-2018, 11:53 PM

Well, Winter is coming

Water temperature is now ~50

Fish are chilling

No more feeding.

I'll miss their begging...

Enjoy a peaceful winter my not so little friends

Time to build the Colorado CR and put her on the computrainer... so I can get back in shape... because round isn't the right shape