Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-20-2018, 09:52 AM

Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
Chop body parts? is this for real??? never imagine but well if your leg or arm is already gone just remove the left over to win a race doesnt look like a bad idea??? right?

Insane man... super extra competitive sports people, it is just wrong... rather continue sucking at the bike tbh.
It's real unfortunately. And like cycling and other sports it's been going on since inception of the Paralympics. Give this article a look from 2012 for an idea how far people will go in harming themselves to win.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-19325756
Old 10-20-2018, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQJ View Post
On a lark I googled "anti aging clinic Atlanta" and one of the first hits that came up is this: http://www.antiagingatlanta.com

If you click through to their homepage you will see a picture of two cyclists. So they clearly know their target patient population!!
Thanks for the tip!
Old 10-20-2018, 10:06 AM

A friend of mine was at the race where Tanski was busted. He said there was a handicapped accessible porta-potty (i.e, larger than normal) with a doping control sign. I can't imagine a worse job than watch masters racers pee while in a boiling hot smelly porta-potty.
Old 10-20-2018, 10:17 AM
what's a little rust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendRider View Post
I can't imagine a worse job than watch masters racers pee while in a boiling hot smelly porta-potty.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3VgcWK...ature=youtu.be
Old 10-20-2018, 10:27 AM

Ha!

Quote:
A friend of mine was at the race where Tanski was busted. He said there was a handicapped accessible porta-potty (i.e, larger than normal) with a doping control sign. I can't imagine a worse job than watch masters racers pee while in a boiling hot smelly porta-potty.
Being that guy's assistant.
Old 10-20-2018, 10:32 AM

Quote:
I'm going to speculate they knew exactly who they were after. When a Masters racer starts doping, most of the field knows within a season. Someone got pissed off about it and dropped a dime on him. The guys at the pointed end of the bigger races are pretty much at the top end for performance in their respective age group. There will be good days and bad days for everyone, but a solo rider doesn't get over a 5 minute gap in a State Championship RR without turbocharging.
Old 10-20-2018, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandem Rider View Post
I'm going to speculate they knew exactly who they were after. When a Masters racer starts doping, most of the field knows within a season. Someone got pissed off about it and dropped a dime on him. The guys at the pointed end of the bigger races are pretty much at the top end for performance in their respective age group. There will be good days and bad days for everyone, but a solo rider doesn't get over a 5 minute gap in a State Championship RR without turbocharging.
And here's the tip line: https://www.usada.org/athletes/playclean/

I'm a reasonably competitive masters racer. If all goes well (family, work, sleep, training...), I can usually podium in the races I target. If preparation doesn't go well, or if I'm sick, I just struggle to hang on (at best). It's very clear if someone suddenly has a big and consistent improvement in their racing form. Everyone knows. Mr. Tanski (and most of the other masters dopers) was outed by his peers.

Greg
Old 10-20-2018, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnette View Post

Cycling isn't suffering from cheating in isolation, it's in all sports. There was a segment on cheating in the Paralympics were amputees would undergo even further surgery to remove bone and tissue for a precieved advantage. So yeah, people really do chop off body parts.
On that topic, go look up "spiking." Or don't. It's taking advantage of the bodies autonomous reaction to trauma that occurs even if you don't consciously feel it.
Old 10-20-2018, 03:53 PM

Self Harm Is Pervasive In Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronsonic View Post
On that topic, go look up "spiking." Or don't. It's taking advantage of the bodies autonomous reaction to trauma that occurs even if you don't consciously feel it.
It illuminates the range, depth and even the human psychology behind cheating in sport. That's why I find it odd when people have a hard time accepting that it's been this way forever in cycling in particular, as if it was ever clean because it never was. Methods change but the act is constant.
Old 10-21-2018, 11:28 AM

Buster Brown, now that's a blast from the past

Surprised he's only in his 50s as he seemed ancient back in my day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommasini53 View Post
Just paging through the past news releases by USADA...a) I'm glad they are testing at all levels of events; and b) amazing to see the number of masters getting popped as weekend warriors. just amazing.

https://www.usada.org/category/sanction/cycling/
Old 10-21-2018, 12:02 PM

They should delete his strava too
Old 10-21-2018, 12:20 PM

When I was racing in the early to mid 90's, we knew who was doping, they'd show up at the March races all puffed up and vascular. They'd win the early season stuff totally based on the wattage they could turn. Most would back off by late spring to not attract attention to themselves. David LeDuc was the biggest offender I knew of. He'd get in a break on a crit and bide his time until he'd ride away with a few laps to go. I'm glad he finally got busted a few years ago. It was just about small payouts, primes, and medals.
Old 10-21-2018, 12:21 PM

Strava is to blame for many of this problems IMO, dudes competing to each other in everything.
Old 10-21-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
Strava is to blame for many of this problems IMO, dudes competing to each other in everything.
I feel like if deleting strava was part of doping punishment it would scare more people out of doing it, lol...
Old 10-21-2018, 01:08 PM
Two wheels good

Still love this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2018-10-21 at 2.08.08 PM.jpg (49.1 KB, 107 views)