Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-22-2018, 01:58 PM

Origin of Dario Pegoretti's "Why Not" Paint scheme

Posted a photo of my new-to-me Pegoretti Marcelo with the "Why Not?" paint scheme on a Facebook page for Peg owners ("Pegoretti Fans and Owners"), and received a lovely response detailing the origins of the paint scheme from someone responding to my picture. I thought others here might be interested in it, so I'm sharing it.

First reply:

"I have the exact same color scheme but on a BLE. I'll look for the email that Dario sent me when I asked him what got him to name it like this and share it here so that other Pego fans can see. It will have to wait until Monday however because I have the email saved in my back up hard disk in the office. But the quiz continues: what's the name of the woman in the sticker? (I assume yours has it as well)"

When I said I didn't know who the woman is in the several stickers that adorn the frame, he replied with:

"look up ‘Anita Ekberg’ in her glory years of course. And wait till Monday for my (actually Dario’s) story on the name. Just so that you get to know further the piece of history you bought along with this awesome machine."

Finally, he responded with the story of the paint scheme:

"Here is the copy-paste of Dario's email when I asked him about the paint scheme: 'Tha question of the name..... back in the 2005 at the beginning of the paintjob story...you must know that the cycling business is very conservative, when i design the why not scheme I was very doubtful if present it at some show or choose something more classical and conservative, the theme was developed around the figure of Federico Fellini and his vision of cinema, on the down tube is easily recognizable movie film and pin-ups are a reference to Anita Ekberg, at the end I thought why not, Why not take some risk, and I used this thought as the name for the paintscheme.
Have a great day and please when you have build up the bike let me know how do you feel wit it
Dario Pegoretti' "

I greatly enjoyed learning more about Dario and his fertile mind as applied to my own Pegoretti.

Last edited by wgp; 10-22-2018 at 02:59 PM.
Old 10-22-2018, 02:45 PM

Nice story

https://dariopegoretti.com/collectio...lg=1&slide=153

Old 10-22-2018, 10:06 PM

Great story and a great link to all the different paint schemes! I’ve long admired Dario’s paintings (on bike frames). Good reminder and now I have ideas / inspiration for a frame refinish. (Gonna gather some pennies for a few months and probably ask one of the Spotlight builders here about a restoration project.)