Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-11-2018, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixieporteur View Post
I don't disagree that narrow and smooth tires would work for some combination of really experienced riders, light & fast, or dry conditions.

I forgot to mention I'm doing GAP + C&O Pittsburgh to DC. My traveling companions are not interested in light & fast.

I'm local, so I've been pre-running sections of the C&O this season. Our schedule does not allow flexibility to wait for better weather.

For the current muddy conditions, I decided I wanted small knobbies and full fenders.

And yet, I want low rolling resistance on pavement! So far the Pumpkin Ridge 42s and Thunder Burt 53 and 57 have been living up to their billing as fast multi-surface tires.

My traveling companions are arriving today. All I know right now about their bikes is they are on Salsa Fargo 29ers, steel and Ti. Should be very capable.
After today's rain it will be plenty muddy west of White's ferry all the way to Cumberland....maybe save for the section of the Western Maryland Rail Trail if you take that option....
Old 10-11-2018, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chaba View Post
After today's rain it will be plenty muddy west of White's ferry all the way to Cumberland....maybe save for the section of the Western Maryland Rail Trail if you take that option....
And don't be too sure about the WMRT, either. When I was there earlier this year we encountered a mud slide that deposited a big layer of mud 6" deep in places on top of the blacktop where the bank collapsed, less than a mile from the far end of the trail. One of our group crashed on it. When we turned around and were on the way back, they'd closed the trail.
Old 10-21-2018, 11:17 AM

Just rode

Just finished the GAP/C&O on Friday and in response to a few common questions:

Yes, the trail is still closed in Brunswick due to the bridge being washed out, but there is a large and wide (can't miss it) side path down to the water right next to the bridge and the stream is narrow (~25') and very passable. Ankle deep when I went across.

There are other construction-related detours along the way, but they are all very short -- up and over and back down.

Despite only having one day/night of significant rain this past week the C&O is still VERY muddy in many, many spots. Frequent 10-20 foot sections of 4-5 inch deep mud. You can often ride around them, but mostly you just have to go through.

I rode WTB Resolutes (700x42) tubeless and could not have been happier. Fast on the pavement/hard pack, smooth over the bumps, and very capable in the mud (good floatation and shed mud quickly). My riding partners were on 33-34s and they did OK, but they're much smaller (and better) than I am.

And wrt to the leaves, they were just starting to turn in most spots, but given the wetness of the summer and the sudden drop in temps, they may just die and fall. Still, the ride is beautiful and fun and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

If interested, you can check my Instagram for some pics from the ride: https://www.instagram.com/kurt__rosenthal/?hl=en

Enjoy!
Old 10-22-2018, 07:24 AM

Would also do again!

My group and I finished GAP/C&O on Saturday 10/20 and had a great time.

As reported above, C&O is muddy for long sections. In addition to the mud, we rode hardpack, rough gravel, groomed gravel, soupy gravel (on a rainy day), and pavement (~50 mi due to detours and exploring in towns).

All of my traveling party were grateful to have some form of small-knob tires. I rode Compass Pumpkin Ridge 650B X 42 Tubeless and felt they were perfect in every way.

The rest of my group also liked their tires, too!
Schwalbe Thunder Burt 27.5 X 53 (rear) 57 (front) Tubeless
Kenda Small Block 8 29 X 2.2 w/tubes
Schwalbe Rapid Rob 29 X 2.2 w/tubes
Old 10-22-2018, 07:31 AM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornfed View Post
If interested, you can check my Instagram for some pics from the ride: https://www.instagram.com/kurt__rosenthal/?hl=en

Enjoy!
Corn pal, you have a really good eye and sense of colors, enjoyed your photos.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
Corn pal, you have a really good eye and sense of colors, enjoyed your photos.
Thank you very much for the kind words. Hard to take a bad pic on that trail.