Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-30-2021, 07:48 AM

another vote for the P6 Carbon Hi-flex, very good clamp setup, and fairly effective damping.
Old 03-30-2021, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
IME harmonics is the killer with flexy seatposts, they start bouncing weird and you lose stroke power IME, specially if you like to spin. With smashers probably wont be an issue but at the same time some stuff flex so much in carbon that the life span of the seatposts is not too long. Honestly u dont want a seatpost to snap suddenly.
Ultra, while I sympathize with that concern, do you have any evidence of "flexible" carbon seatposts snapping? I've been curious about them for a while now, and haven't run across any documented stories about a problem.
Old 03-30-2021, 09:59 AM
Pack fill

Not to derail this thread but how do you determine that a post is flexible? I mean between the saddle, different bibs, the road surface, tire pressures etc.. how do you isolate just the post?. I have only aluminum posts without setback and I cannot say that one post is different than another. Some bikes are more comfortable than others and I get that but just the post? Help me to understand.
Old 03-30-2021, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnniecakes View Post
Not to derail this thread but how do you determine that a post is flexible? I mean between the saddle, different bibs, the road surface, tire pressures etc.. how do you isolate just the post?. I have only aluminum posts without setback and I cannot say that one post is different than another. Some bikes are more comfortable than others and I get that but just the post? Help me to understand.
Just push down on the saddle when the post is mounted? On the more flexible seatposts you will feel and see the post flex, on stiffer posts it wont really budge.

Similar to the pushing shown here:
https://youtu.be/XI9r5Kp_3Xs?t=55
Old 03-30-2021, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhespenheide View Post
Ultra, while I sympathize with that concern, do you have any evidence of "flexible" carbon seatposts snapping? I've been curious about them for a while now, and haven't run across any documented stories about a problem.
+1 - have zero reason not to have full faith in the Canyon leaf-spring post, which works exactly as described..
Old 09-22-2021, 05:20 PM

Any thoughts on which has most give (and other pros/cons) between eesilk, Specialized Roval Terra, Ritchey Flexlogic?
Old 09-22-2021, 05:22 PM

Pro Discover seems to be another contender
https://www.pro-bikegear.com/us/grav...cover-seatpost
Old 09-22-2021, 06:02 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Another way to skin that cat is to shim to a 25.4 post. Smaller diameter will flex more everything else being equal for the most part.
Old 09-22-2021, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bici-Sonora View Post
I'm having my custom road/all road frame designed to have a lot of seatpost exposed for comfort. From what I've read, the Ergon and then the Ritchey have the most flex.

I need a post with some (at least 10mm) setback and preferably one that will take carbon seat rails. Those that have my attention:
  • Ritchey WCS Flexlogic
    Roval Alpinist
    Ergon CF3 Pro

What am I missing?
Paul Components Tall and Handsome is quite flexible, so much so I sold mine and put a Thomson on to replace it.
Old 09-22-2021, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderR View Post
Any thoughts on which has most give (and other pros/cons) between eesilk, Specialized Roval Terra, Ritchey Flexlogic?
I had the specialized cgr and now a Roval terra straight version. I have a lot of post exposed.

I’m really impressed with it. Definitely a step up from the CGR. It feels like it works better and has a lot less lateral movement while pedaling.

It doesn’t hurt it looks like a normal post…
Old 09-23-2021, 09:55 AM

https://www.cyclingabout.com/rear-su...us-or-gimmick/

A question you might be wondering: do the best carbon flex seatposts require less force to deflect a vertical millimetre than a soft tail frame?

Tour Magazin and Microbac Laboratories have some seatpost data for us. Across multiple bikes in the Tour Magazin testing, the Canyon S15 VCLS 2.0 seatpost required 72N/mm on average. Microbac found the same seatpost deflected at 67N/mm, although this was with 2-3cm more exposed seatpost, which we would expect would have more deflection.

Tour Magazin had similarly low numbers (70N/mm) from the new Roval Terra seatpost installed in a 56cm Specialized Diverge.
Old 01-26-2022, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky33 View Post
That's right. The HiFlex is marked as 0 setback, but the carriage is long and effectively allows maybe 10 or so of setback. Here is a HiFlex 0 offset pictured next to a Ritchey Flexlogic 15 offset for comparison.

I do think the Syntace post adds comfort. I haven't tried the Ritchey yet.
Any update on ride/flex comparison?
Old 01-26-2022, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo62 View Post
The apparently no-longer-in-production Specialized CG-R is pretty comfy. It worked well for me until the single-screw clamp stopped holding and the saddle kept tipping forward or back, depending on which way I was leaning.

Cannondale makes posts in 25.4 diameter, supposedly for added flex. You can probably shim one into your seat tube.
Mine is still functional and I love it. But, it is starting to share in that specific problem of forward/backward tip.
Old 01-26-2022, 12:45 PM

Never mind…edit.This is old and I already said the same thing
Old 01-26-2022, 12:46 PM

Had a Moots ti post and the Canyon post on my hard tail. The Canyon is way more flexible, absolutely love the look and feel of it. On road bike don’t think it’s necessary, but if hitting some bumps it is just awesome. Make sure you have the distance to make it work though!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EB3A700B-D30C-4EA9-AD68-4BB1BAD1B6CF.jpg (24.3 KB, 111 views)