Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-23-2021, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude View Post
Unpopular opinion here. I really really don’t like these stands. Upright stand, that hangs from the seatpost is far and away the quickest, easiest and most convenient. These stands you can’t just hang by the saddle to quickly change pedals/lube chain/fiddle with whatever.

You also can’t do a full tuneup in one go. In my mind, they are a solution to a problem no one has.

The only instance is if you have a TT/tri rig that doesn’t cooperate with an upright stand.
Some bikes have seatposts that you can't clamp, or no actual seatpost at all (such as those with seat masts and seat toppers). Also, the three point contact (two droputs and BB shell) often hold the frame more rigidly for jobs were you have to apply a lot of force (such as for press fit cup removal).

When all my bikes used round aluminum seatposts, my bike stand that clamped the seat post worked great. But after I got a couple of carbon bikes with seat masts and aero seat post, the old bike stand didn't work wo well any more.
Old 09-23-2021, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhcakilmer View Post
I really like this design, and functionality, but I've never used one. Do you guys have any experience with them. Thanks
Keep an eye out, they come up from time to time. I Stumbled on to a used PRS-20 at a low price. It'll last my life time.
Old 09-23-2021, 11:52 AM

I have the newer version of this work stand, PRS 22.2, and much prefer it to seat post clamp stands. The adjustable height and ability to rotate the bike around to get to the other side are nice.

I really like it for wrapping bars as the bar stays in place and does not swing like with a seatpost mounted clamp.

Working on front brakes is not that hard without a stand, so that does not bother me either.
Old 09-23-2021, 12:14 PM
Everyone's Favorite Droid

To each their own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
Some bikes have seatposts that you can't clamp, or no actual seatpost at all (such as those with seat masts and seat toppers). Also, the three point contact (two droputs and BB shell) often hold the frame more rigidly for jobs were you have to apply a lot of force (such as for press fit cup removal).

When all my bikes used round aluminum seatposts, my bike stand that clamped the seat post worked great. But after I got a couple of carbon bikes with seat masts and aero seat post, the old bike stand didn't work wo well any more.
Old 09-23-2021, 01:47 PM

During front wheel or fork work you simply remove the rear wheel clamp the rear drop outs. These are 100 x more stable than seat post clamp albeit I do agree they take additional time. I have both so no worries 😌
Old 09-24-2021, 09:44 AM

The nice thing about the wheel off stands, be it Feedback, Tacx or that other company is being able to stand in one place and spin the bike around to work on it. This is especially handy when you're washing bikes, something the team mechanics that made this style popular do A LOT OF. They also excel at TT bikes or really anything that has funky tube shapes. They make a lot of sense for bikes with dropper posts but for some reason haven't taken off for that application. The two downsides are doing headset or front brake work, or mounting bikes with a brake under the chainstay, which thankfully is more rare these days.

The seatpost style clamp are generally less stable. The CG is a lot higher and the bike isn't as rigidly held in the clamp. They do offer full access to pretty much every part of the bike, apart from servicing dropper posts. I've always felt that the portable versions of these style of stands struggled with heavy bikes.

In a perfect world, you would have both styles of stands. Nothing is perfect for every task imaginable.

Steels are Alloys too!
Old 09-24-2021, 10:06 AM
Not a robot

Park PRS-20 - I had one previously. While it was serviceable (and stable, as others have noted), I much prefer the Feedback Sports Sprint stand that I replaced it with (similar design). I find it to be just as stable, and less cumbersome to use.
Old 09-24-2021, 12:03 PM

I have the new Park 22.2 stand. I have never owned another stand to compare to and I am a very novice bike hobbiest so my opinions are of that

Things I don't like about the stand and considered getting a different stand:

I have 3 different bikes so I have to adjust the fork holder when working between the bikes.
Its not too hard to knock the bike over if the rear wheel weight is not balanced over one of the 3 legs. If the rear wheel weight is between 2 legs, I feel a strong gust of wind can knock the bike over. This is mostly noticed on my IHG bike where the rear wheel heavier.
In a similar vein, when spinning the bike on the stand, the change in weight over the legs can also cause the stand to become unbalanced momentarily.
The top beam of the stand doesnt perfectly lock. Theres like a 1-2 degree of play that allows the bike to teeter, adding to the un-balance.
I use the strap often because I find the bike can wiggle off the bottom bracket holder.

I have never dropped my bikes on this stand but I feel like i have to pay too much attention to not make it fall over.

Last edited by qnz; 09-24-2021 at 12:15 PM.