Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-22-2021, 09:25 PM

Dealing with UPS about shipping damage

I've had issues with them before but have only lost the shipped item previously (custom Serotta), as ebay forced the seller to give me a refund. I'm kind of in a similar situation tonight with another hard to replace item that was obviously mishandled. Although not a one of a kind custom like the Serotta, these are not easily found:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/26530521521...p2047675.l2557

Received it today and one bottom corner of the box looked pretty squishy, despite the box being covered on all sides with bright red hand written warnings about the fragile nature of the contents. The granite was split into two pieces.

Is it better for the seller or the buyer to file a claim? Perhaps that is not even optional. Any advice to help make sure UPS pays up? I don't want the seller to lose out any more than I want to lose $340 because UPS can't keep their workers from tossing packages around.

Last edited by oliver1850; 09-22-2021 at 09:27 PM.
Old 09-22-2021, 09:39 PM
Vendor

I have been dealing with FedEx on a bike I sent to someone that got damaged. I tried to run it directly to fedex and they denied the claim twice after trying for 4 weeks. The buyer tried it too and they basically shot him down and told him it didn't matter who filed it. They didn't think I packed it well enough. But even tho I didn't pack it well, they clearly couldn't have damaged it given the massive hole in the box.
Old 09-22-2021, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver1850 View Post
Received it today and one bottom corner of the box looked pretty squishy, despite the box being covered on all sides with bright red hand written warnings about the fragile nature of the contents. The granite was split into two pieces.
That doesn't matter. The handlers aren't normally going to spend time reading notes on the packages. Even if they do, it won't affect how the package is handled.

Quote:
Is it better for the seller or the buyer to file a claim? Perhaps that is not even optional. Any advice to help make sure UPS pays up? I don't want the seller to lose out any more than I want to lose $340 because UPS can't keep their workers from tossing packages around.
Was the shipment insured?
Old 09-22-2021, 10:21 PM

If you value it, insure it...and even, count on the runaround

If not, you won't get anything

These days are worse than ever
Just wait until Holiday season, it's going to be rough
Old 09-23-2021, 06:29 AM

"I will take it to UPS to package in a double wall box and bubble wrap, your new turntable will be in a very strong protective package"

This is a quote from the Ebay ad - did the seller take it to a UPS store for packaging and was it in a double wall box?
Old 09-23-2021, 08:02 AM

As someone that likes turntables that it got damaged in shipping SUCKS. Hope it get's straightened out for you.
Old 09-23-2021, 08:50 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver1850 View Post
I've had issues with them before but have only lost the shipped item previously (custom Serotta), as ebay forced the seller to give me a refund. I'm kind of in a similar situation tonight with another hard to replace item that was obviously mishandled. Although not a one of a kind custom like the Serotta, these are not easily found:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/26530521521...p2047675.l2557

Pretty sure that the seller files the claim with info/pix from the buyer.
Good luck..the few claims I have put in were almost always an auto decline.
Quote:
"I will take it to UPS to package in a double wall box and bubble wrap, your new turntable will be in a very strong protective package"
IF a UPS store boxed it, the claim will be against them as well..by the seller.
Old 09-23-2021, 08:57 AM
Randomhead

Something like that is going to take some special packaging to survive UPS.
I'm still impressed with myself for successfully shipping two glass carboys across the country.

Depending on the damage, color matched epoxy is used every day to glue countertops together.
Old 09-23-2021, 01:37 PM

The shipping guys can destroy anything. I sold a bunch of used Mac Pro towers--heavy as hell. Got large boxes, put in a second layer of cardboard, hand cut Styrofoam corners top and bottom, wrapped the machines in bubble wrap.

Four out of five arrived without incident despite the weight--one was bent/box destroyed. I just gave the buyer the option and gave him a good discount. Didn't even try to file--non-original packaging etc.

Sometimes it is a delivery guy who doesn't give a ****--we've all seen the doorbell cam vids of packages being tossed, sometimes it's the warehouse guys--and sometimes it is just an accident--slipped hand or whatever.

I have had exactly one successful claim against USPS, never against FEDEX--but these were small dollar things, not a custom bike or nice turntable. Lately I've been selling some collectable glassware--it all goes out double boxed, but I worry everytime a package goes out...
Old 09-23-2021, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paredown View Post
I have had exactly one successful claim against USPS, never against FEDEX--but these were small dollar things, not a custom bike or nice turntable. Lately I've been selling some collectable glassware--it all goes out double boxed, but I worry everytime a package goes out...
A year ago I shipped a carbon disc wheel via Fedex Ground. They put a hole in the side of the box and through the carbon.

Buyer sent me a couple of photos, which I forwarded to Fedex. i received a check for the full insured amount pretty quickly. No muss, no fuss...

Oh...and I told the buyer to keep the wheel...he thought he might be able to have the carbon patched...
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 09-24-2021, 09:32 AM

If the shipper paid for additional insurance the process is pretty easy. If they didn't you're going to have to pull some teeth to get them to cough up the $100 standard insurance. Either way, the shipper usually deals with the claim.

Steels are Alloys too!
Old 09-24-2021, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parris View Post
As someone that likes turntables that it got damaged in shipping SUCKS. Hope it get's straightened out for you.
At some point I'm going to sell my Beogram 4000 linear tracker...and I *really* don't want to have to ship it...but I haven't turned a record in 15 years (except for a 78 on the victrola) and have no phono pre-amps in the house...

Time to move on...just don't want to deal with shipping!
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 09-24-2021, 02:03 PM

Thanks for all the comments. Seller is working on the claim with UPS, says they want to pick the package up and inspect it.

With the Serotta, they picked it up, then refused the claim. I never saw it again. I assume that they returned the bike to the seller. I'd like to keep the turntable whether the seller gets a payment or not. Is it up to him where it ends up? He has already refunded me the purchase price. He's moving out of the country and doesn't want it back.
Old 09-24-2021, 03:46 PM

I might be wrong but if ups pays out for the insurance claim they technically “own it” and can decide what to do with it
Old 09-24-2021, 04:42 PM
Epic=No Smiles

UPS sells the stuff that is damaged or lost in shipment at a warehouse in Utah. One time, a guy I might know was there and bought a very expensive racecar ECU, which happened to contain all the engine maps for the Oreca Viper Le Mans cars. I think he paid $25.

Once the maps were wiped and new maps were programmed, it lived happily in a rally car for many years. So there's a happy ending.