Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-24-2021, 07:18 PM

It doesn't seem right to take the buyer out of the loop. I can't see how UPS makes out by shipping damaged goods 1,000 miles and reselling them. I doubt I will ever get another chance to buy one of these turntables, and might be able to repair it to functional condition if not cosmetic. Hard to know without taking it apart, which I can't do if they want to inspect it.
Old 09-24-2021, 11:44 PM

so it sounds like you are looking to get a refund for the item & shipping as well as being able to keep the [damaged] item?
Old 09-25-2021, 02:24 AM

Since this is an eBay purchase, I think you're going to drive yourself crazy (and burn time) trying to do right by the seller and hold UPS accountable. You didn't get what you ordered. It's the seller's responsibility to get it to you safely. I'd open up a return with eBay before it's too late and send it back. Done. Let the seller deal with UPS.

On the other hand, if this item is so rare and desired that you want to keep it in its broken state, maybe work out a partial refund with the seller? You two could decide on an amount ahead of time, then you can open up a return in eBay, and the seller has the option of offering a partial refund and letting you keep the item.
Old 09-25-2021, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegoready View Post
Since this is an eBay purchase, I think you're going to drive yourself crazy (and burn time) trying to do right by the seller and hold UPS accountable. You didn't get what you ordered. It's the seller's responsibility to get it to you safely. I'd open up a return with eBay before it's too late and send it back. Done. Let the seller deal with UPS.

On the other hand, if this item is so rare and desired that you want to keep it in its broken state, maybe work out a partial refund with the seller? You two could decide on an amount ahead of time, then you can open up a return in eBay, and the seller has the option of offering a partial refund and letting you keep the item.
I have no problem with working out a partial settlement with the seller, but it seems that would leave UPS to get away without compensating anyone for their mishandling of the package.
Old 09-25-2021, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likebikes View Post
so it sounds like you are looking to get a refund for the item & shipping as well as being able to keep the [damaged] item?
I'd like to have a chance to reclaim it once UPS decides whether they are going to honor the insurance that they were paid for. If they don't honor the insurance I think it should be returned to me and it's up to the seller and me to work something out.
Old 09-25-2021, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver1850 View Post
I have no problem with working out a partial settlement with the seller, but it seems that would leave UPS to get away without compensating anyone for their mishandling of the package.
I hear ya, but it ain't your problem. There is a ticking clock on the eBay returns process though.
Old 09-25-2021, 11:00 PM
Tired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegoready View Post
I hear ya, but it ain't your problem. There is a ticking clock on the eBay returns process though.
+1

Be kind to the seller if you want. As soon as that window expires, the seller may stop communicating entirely.
Old 09-26-2021, 08:15 AM

UPS delivered an empty box to my house once. It was obvious the contents were long gone (pair of skiis). But they delivered it anyways.

The flap on the end of the box was secured with a single ~3" piece of clear packing tape, needless to say it didnt hold up.

Lucky for me the seller handled it immediately and shipped me another pair of skiis. It was packaged the same way, but it survived this time...
Old 09-26-2021, 08:56 AM

Good luck. UPS / FedEx are absolutely not going to make a claim easy - they don't care how much you insure it for and don't want to be held liable. 3-4 denials of a claim before getting approval is normal. We ship a lot of bikes / frames and I won't even bother going through the claim process for under $1,000 as the time investment is too large to make it worth it.

Example: they put a forklift blade through a box labeled fragile, bent the frame/punctured a tube, and told me the source of the hole was due to something inside the box. OK, thanks. Took 5 rounds of claims over 6 months, arguing with people who are paid to be purposely dense, and then I eventually "won" but am still waiting on a check MONTHS after.
Old 09-26-2021, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
Good luck. UPS / FedEx are absolutely not going to make a claim easy - they don't care how much you insure it for and don't want to be held liable. 3-4 denials of a claim before getting approval is normal. We ship a lot of bikes / frames and I won't even bother going through the claim process for under $1,000 as the time investment is too large to make it worth it.

Example: they put a forklift blade through a box labeled fragile, bent the frame/punctured a tube, and told me the source of the hole was due to something inside the box. OK, thanks. Took 5 rounds of claims over 6 months, arguing with people who are paid to be purposely dense, and then I eventually "won" but am still waiting on a check MONTHS after.
So did you or the customer have to turn the frame over to them? Who ended up with it?