Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-23-2018, 06:38 PM

I thought the weather was perfect to ride the 180k. I left just before 6AM and finished after 6PM so one long day, but I didn't want to push it, just wanted to enjoy this ride. So when all those hills came after lunch, I still felt well to tackle them. I did not encounter any thunder along the way, just a heavy rain mid morning for about 20 minutes that was actually really refreshing as it cooled me off and then some light rain after lunch. I think the cooler temperatures kept much of the cramping away. My quads are still a little sore, especially when walking up stairs. How's everyone else's recovery coming along?
Old 08-24-2018, 06:05 AM

I did the 100k on my new Hampsten SB (first time rider, although I grew up not too far from Deerfield) and had a blast. Even better, I think my wife will do the family ride with our son next year!

The course was beautiful, and while I was fairly cooked by the Apex Orchard climb, I was surprised by how well I held up given the lack of climbing where I currently live. The Hampsten was great, and handled everything perfectly.

Looking forward to next year...

DaveS
Old 08-24-2018, 06:13 AM
ZhugeLiang

Well done Dave pal!

What tires did you use on your hampsten? Bon Jons?

I have a SB too.

Last edited by weisan; 08-24-2018 at 06:15 AM.
Old 08-24-2018, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
Well done Dave pal!

What tires did you use on your hampsten? Bon Jons?

I have a SB too.
I used a G-One 35mm up front, and a Clement Xplor 32mm on the back (clearance is a little tight with a 35mm on the wide rims I'm using). Felt like a very solid combination, and I figured (given my lack of off-road skills) that I was better off with too much tire than too little

What color is your SB? I felt like the hardest part of the process with SteveH was deciding on the paint!

DaveS
Old 08-24-2018, 07:12 AM
ZhugeLiang

I am in the same boat as you (lack of offroad skills), that's why I like to use as wide a tire as I can get away with. The max. tire width I can put on my SB is about where you are at, 32-35mm depending on the rim, which is fine. I don't see SB serving as my gravel bike but more like a 90% road with the occasional oh-shoot-we-can't-avoid it gravel section thrown in. I didn't choose the color coz I got it used courtesy of R3 pal. But it doesn't matter, came with my favorite color : white!

Old 08-24-2018, 07:14 AM
aka RAEKWON

I miss that bike Weisan. Its a hell of a bike, glad you are enjoying it.
Old 08-24-2018, 07:31 AM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
I miss that bike Weisan. Its a hell of a bike, glad you are enjoying it.
I am and thanks to you!

I don't have a Peg but I know that e-Richie and Hampco pal are good friends with Dario so I will ride either one of their two creations today in honor of a guy that speaks my language.
Old 08-24-2018, 02:36 PM

My brother and I ride the 100k and had a great day. I was in southern NH for the summer and he drive out from Boston. This was my second gravel ride (I did the farmer's daughter back in May) and his first long ride of any sort. We had a great day and enjoyed the while experience, the hills, the foggy views, the covered bridge at lunch, and the sore sore legs. Next year maybe we'll tackle one if the longer routes!

The day was a good reminder about how riding a bike is so much more about the rider than it is about the bike. Just got to keep turning those legs over!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Old 08-24-2018, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmortimer View Post
My brother and I ride the 100k and had a great day. I was in southern NH for the summer and he drive out from Boston. This was my second gravel ride (I did the farmer's daughter back in May) and his first long ride of any sort.
As long as the Farmer doesn't find out....
Old 08-25-2018, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
.... I didn't choose the color coz I got it used courtesy of R3 pal. But it doesn't matter, came with my favorite color : white!

The Hampco bikes all look nice and classic in white. I was initially looking at something more flashy, but thankfully Steve talked me off the ledge..
Old 08-25-2018, 06:55 AM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveS View Post
The Hampco bikes all look nice and classic in white. I was initially looking at something more flashy, but thankfully Steve talked me off the ledge..
Pictures?
Old 08-25-2018, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc40a View Post
As long as the Farmer doesn't find out....
You know, it actually took me the last 24 hours to get that... Pretty slow on the bike, slow getting g the jokes too.

Old 08-26-2018, 06:07 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmortimer View Post
You know, it actually took me the last 24 hours to get that... Pretty slow on the bike, slow getting g the jokes too.

I don’t know if it necessarily means you’re slow. I think it likely means you’re mature and the joke is sophomoric.
Old 08-27-2018, 08:02 AM

I have been on vacation since D2 and hence away from the computer.

I started the 180k at just after 6AM. Things were going great until about 7mi in, on the first prolonged gravel descent, I cut about a 1/3" slash in my front Gravel King SK sidewall. Almost new tires, <100mi on them!!

Luckily I had an emergency Park Tool boot! Slapped that thing in, put in a tube...but it was a bad tube. Valve would not hold air. Luckily, I had 2 tubes. The second one worked, but there I was with 100+ miles to go and no backups.

Fortunately I made it to lunch and the mechanic sold me 2 tubes. As it turned out, no more flats for the day anyway. I finished the 180k but man was that hard.

Along the way I saw Angry Scientist and recognized one other bike from this site. It was a great day of riding despite even the nasty weather. Can't wait til next year.
Old 08-27-2018, 08:19 AM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
. I cut about a 1/3" slash in my front Gravel King SK sidewall. Almost new tires, <100mi on them
Curious how it happened.
What size tire was it?