Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old Yesterday, 04:54 PM

Campy SR 12 sp crank help

Does anyone know what BB cups are to be used with this crankset? I tried Ultra Torque cups and the bearings dont fit all the way in due to plastic dust shields that cover the outer 1/3 of bearing.Campy specs ProTech cups as well as Ultra Torque, I assume the difference is the tube in the middle (pro tech).The local Campy shop says the covers have to be removed, pull the bearings to do so. That is crazy but looks to be the solution at this point,has anyone encountered this? Thanks,NateM
Old Yesterday, 07:25 PM

Pro-Tech Cups are specific to Ekar, and I believe the new Super Record Wireless group cranksets.

The internal tube is an add on, compatible with standard UT and pro-tech cups.

Are the bearings original?
Old Yesterday, 09:49 PM

"The Super Record Wireless crankset has a lighter hollow structure and uses the Ultra-Torque locking system with a titanium axle to transfer to the transmission all the force applied on the pedals by the cyclist."
- the two Ekar groups are the only ones that use the Pro Tech standard.
Old Today, 05:31 AM

From the current technical manual, if you have the Super Record WRL, ProTech cups are used, other 12s uses Ultra Torque cups.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2024-04-23 at 6.30.20 AM.jpg (55.7 KB, 45 views)
Old Today, 06:48 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateM View Post
Does anyone know what BB cups are to be used with this crankset? I tried Ultra Torque cups and the bearings dont fit all the way in due to plastic dust shields that cover the outer 1/3 of bearing.Campy specs ProTech cups as well as Ultra Torque, I assume the difference is the tube in the middle (pro tech).The local Campy shop says the covers have to be removed, pull the bearings to do so. That is crazy but looks to be the solution at this point,has anyone encountered this? Thanks,NateM
Yup, sounds like you have a SR WRL crank, with the 'covered' bearings. And yes, I suspect taking off the seals will fix your issue altho I'd measure the width of the bearings..should be 6mm..and then use 'normal' UltraTorque cups..otherwise get the 'Protech' cups..which would probably be easier.
Old Today, 08:17 AM

Yes Im using the WRL SR crank. Its strange that they use the same cover on the Ceramic bearing that they use on Ekar bearings.I ordered the Pro Tech cups just to see how they accommodate the covered bearing, must be a stepped design.Thanks