Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-22-2024, 08:42 AM

A different kind of tire problem..

So im still relatively new to big ole tires/wide rims and im having a weird issue that ive never experienced before.

Slow leak in my front tire (700x42) and figured id finally tackle it the other day. I take all the air out and grab a tire lever, but I cant wedge the tire lever down between the tire bead and the rim. And im not talking about getting under the bead, but even just to the side of the bead. Almost like the two beads of the tire are glued to the widest part of the rim bed. And no amount of squeezing, pinching, pushing gets it to budge.

Any ideas?

Im assuming that that means that this is going to be a very tight fit when I try to eventually get the tire back on.
Old 03-22-2024, 08:48 AM

Tubeless with sealant?
If so, sealant is "gluing" the tire to the rim, a set of pliers with something soft on the jaws should help.
Old 03-22-2024, 09:32 AM

If they are tubeless, do you have removable valve cores? If so you could always remove the valve core and add more sealant and reinflate.

If you are using tubes, what has worked for me in the past is prop one side of the wheel up so the hub is off the ground, then use your foot to step down on the tire that is touching the ground and pull the rim up towards you. Once you unseat the bead from the rim continue working around the wheel until it is fully unseated. Work two tire levers under the bead about 4" apart and then together pop the bead over the rim. Hope that helps.
Old 03-22-2024, 09:33 AM

I didnt think these were setup as tubeless (tho i bought the bike second hand), but that would make sense whats different about these. I hope thats the case because i was afraid it was a super tight rim/tire combo! Will try some soft-jaws!
Old 03-22-2024, 09:39 AM

Here is another related one.

Anyone have an idea of a solvent I could use to get sealant out of the valve core safely?

On my MTB for some reason one of the valve cores but not the other has been partially clogged and I haven't been able to unclog it. IIRC I've tried alcohol last time I refreshed sealant.

It still works, but it makes it really annoying to bleed air out of the tire.

OP If you take the valve core out and add some more sealant it just delays the issue of getting off the tire till you wear the tire out. I might do that, but keep in mind if you get a bad flat you're going to have to figure out how to get the tire off in the field if you want to do an emergency tube install to get home!

In my case with the MTB tires I'm so confident in not flatting I would probably risk just putting some more sealant in.
Old 03-22-2024, 09:40 AM

Maybe a tire insert pool noodle in there? Cut off tire if it's that or still stubborn. If carbon rim be cautious with levers.
Old 03-22-2024, 10:22 AM

You can tell by looking at the valve whether it is tubleless or tubes.
Old 03-22-2024, 10:29 AM

The fit of my fat bike tires on the rims is so tight that I have resorted to clamping the tire in a bench vise to unseat the bead. I'd suggest a version of this for you - a c clamp or other wood clamp could help you shove the bead to the center channel. If nothing else, it will give you a lever to grab on to to muscle the tire off the bead seat.
Old 03-22-2024, 10:56 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

WTB rims?

You need to break the bead off the shelf of the rim. I've had to resort to flat blade screwdrivers before.

Once you get the bead off that shelf, you'll be able to get regular tire levers under the tire. Make sure you get both beads off to make things easiest

To get sealant in or out, remove the valve core. Also has the benefit of not gumming up the core.

M
Old 03-22-2024, 11:02 AM

This is normal with tubeless tires, even if they are set up with a tube. The bead locks into place, and first you need to break the bead before you can get a lever in there. If you can't pop the beat off with your hands, Victoria makes a tool for the job. https://vittoria.com/products/air-liner-tool

You could also just use vice grips or something to grab the tire and pull.
Old 03-22-2024, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post
WTB rims?

You need to break the bead off the shelf of the rim. I've had to resort to flat blade screwdrivers before.

Once you get the bead off that shelf, you'll be able to get regular tire levers under the tire. Make sure you get both beads off to make things easiest

To get sealant in or out, remove the valve core. Also has the benefit of not gumming up the core.

M
Yep! WTB rims. Ill try that. Thanks!
Old 03-22-2024, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
Here is another related one.

Anyone have an idea of a solvent I could use to get sealant out of the valve core safely?

On my MTB for some reason one of the valve cores but not the other has been partially clogged and I haven't been able to unclog it. IIRC I've tried alcohol last time I refreshed sealant.
I use alcohol. I have an old shot glass and when I remove a core for any reason, I drop it in the glass with some isopropyl. I recently replaced a tubeless tire that has been on for several years, and soaked the stem as well before reaming it out with an old spoke.
Old 03-22-2024, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokyroadie View Post
You can tell by looking at the valve whether it is tubleless or tubes.
How?
Old 03-22-2024, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palincss View Post
How?
+1

Im curious how to tell by only seeing the exposed valve while the tire is on.
Old 03-22-2024, 02:19 PM

If the tire is indeed tubeless, consider trying this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvnH9qGvbP4

This method may only work on MTB tires and I have never personally tried it and cannot endorse it. I might be concerned about bending my spokes!