Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-01-2021, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg2ride View Post
Since we are giving specific stock advise: Short TSLA. The suits are going to be pissed at Elon and will make him suffer.

Disclaimer: if you take stock advise from me you are an idiot. But no, really, short TSLA. Let's see if the Reddit crowd has the cash to squeeze that.
Upgrade by “The Suits” today. TSLA up 5.8%
Old 02-02-2021, 08:06 AM

Looks like the squeeze is over
Old 02-02-2021, 08:24 AM

Neel Kashkari of the FED probably stated it best:

"GameStop has gotten a lot of attention," Kashkari said. "If one group of speculators wants to have a battle of wills with another group of speculators over an individual stock, God bless them."

"That’s for them to do, and if they make money, fine. And if they lose money, that’s on them,” Kashkari added. "I'm not at all thinking about modifying my views on monetary policy because of speculators in these individual stocks.”
Old 02-02-2021, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verticaldoug View Post

"GameStop has gotten a lot of attention," Kashkari said. "If one group of speculators wants to have a battle of wills with another group of speculators over an individual stock, God bless them."

"That’s for them to do, and if they make money, fine. And if they lose money, that’s on them,” Kashkari added. "I'm not at all thinking about modifying my views on monetary policy because of speculators in these individual stocks.”
This. Hedge funds just want to keep the pool of players relatively small and controlled, and for the players to be have similar goals.
Old 02-02-2021, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verticaldoug View Post

Exactly.
All this CNBC talk of how this handful of stock trading will have an effect on the market is all BS. This will end soon, squeezes never last long.
All this CNBC BS is deflecting from the real concern (of mine), and that is the constant fueling of the market by the FED with 0% interest rates and bond buying — and that has gone on for a very long time.
Old 02-02-2021, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
I really don’t get how Reddit r/WSB is behind this.
All I see there are one line (meaningless) posts.
At this point CNBC is driving this squeeze more than Reddit, and I’m sure there are more institutions behind the squeeze (hedge funds don’t only short), who will at some point go short.

Maybe you're right, as I only glanced at the Reddit group, but collusion is illegal when corporate interests do it, so why isn't this the same thing when a Reddit newsgroup is used by whomever to bid up the price of a stock? That newsgroup should be shut down or at least moderated, and the practice of shorting a stock should be illegal as well.
Old 02-02-2021, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
Maybe you're right, as I only glanced at the Reddit group, but collusion is illegal when corporate interests do it, so why isn't this the same thing when a Reddit newsgroup is used by whomever to bid up the price of a stock? That newsgroup should be shut down or at least moderated, and the practice of shorting a stock should be illegal as well.
It would be interesting to get the data and analyze it from the exchanges. Breaking it down by market counter party would be easy. From there, depending on who showed up, you might want to look through to the ultimate buyer/seller. You can always find the bad actor if you look hard enough.

I still think this was just madness of a crowd consumed by greed.

From Monday 1/25 unti 11 a.m. today a total of 2,051,510 transactions averaging 224 shares @ avg prce of 165.

Last edited by verticaldoug; 02-02-2021 at 10:38 AM.
Old 02-02-2021, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
That newsgroup should be shut down or at least moderated, and the practice of shorting a stock should be illegal as well.
I understand that the reddit group is "moderated". Reportedly one former moderator was Shkreli........
Old 02-02-2021, 12:03 PM

so if the WSB forum incorporated and all became employees, then they can call themselves a hedge fund and nobody would care about the moves they coorindated. stop pretending like the WSB group is the one who misbehaved.
Old 02-02-2021, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanile View Post
so if the WSB forum incorporated and all became employees, then they can call themselves a hedge fund and nobody would care about the moves they coorindated. stop pretending like the WSB group is the one who misbehaved.
I think you misconstrue the meaning here. If WSB is a bunch of retail investors, that's fine. But what if there was a shark or two swimming with the bunch? Historically, there have been pump and dump schemes that manipulated prices on the exchange. Robert Brennan from First Jersey comes to mind, Jordan Belfort is another.

Carson Block from Muddy Waters gave an interview yesterday and he suspected there were hedgefunds who were targeting the shorts.

If you recall, even someone like Jeff Vinik got in trouble when he was running Magellen at Fido and would be on CNBC recommending a stocks, but in reality was selling it out long in the market. Imagine if one of the posters on WSB was Jim Cramer telling you to buy buy buy while all he was doing was getting liquidity for his trust to sell out long... That's a problem.
(I am not saying he did this, just using him as a strawman since he is well known)

Last edited by verticaldoug; 02-02-2021 at 01:43 PM.
Old 02-02-2021, 01:44 PM

Of course there are institutions using the Anonymous subreddit, they would be (in the words of WSB) morons not to.

I don’t see how anyone could follow anything on that subreddit. It’s nothing but one liners (“to the moon”, “Hold the line”, etc’

Here’s what it looks like:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F8162640-4F6F-43A7-94F3-1BD17A680748.jpg (93.7 KB, 286 views)

Last edited by Tony T; 02-02-2021 at 01:48 PM.
Old 02-17-2021, 01:24 AM

“Handful of hedge funds bet big on GameStop before its wild ride”
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-r...Partner-Google
Old 03-26-2021, 02:44 PM

DJIA 33,000 ATH

Old 04-01-2021, 08:46 AM

S&P 4,000 (all-time high)
Old 04-01-2021, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
S&P 4,000 (all-time high)
Been a roller coaster the past month or so. I expect a slight plunge tomorrow just because.

Been a crazy good year!

Tags
economy, freemoneyhouse, game stop, i like this stock, stonks, wealth