Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-01-2019, 09:43 AM

Convenience

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtayBW View Post
I'd say that some people like the actual convenience. Just depends on what you're looking for....
How to hack your Keurig machine and get the much better cup of coffee you deserve https://nationalpost.com/life/food/h...ee-you-deserve

Quote:
You’ll need a kitchen scale to weigh the grounds. You’ll also need to apply a little math: If your pod contains, say, 11.5 grams of coffee, multiply that number by 16. The resulting number, 184, is the grams of water needed for a classic 1:16 ratio of coffee to water. Divide the 184 by 29.5, which is the number of grams in a fluid ounce. The final number, 6.2, tells you how large of cup you should brew with that pod. In this example, you would select the 6-ounce option or the smallest cup on brewers without ounce-per-cup settings.
Quote:
“The amount of work to get there,” Finkelstein said, pausing for emphasis. “It seems like you might as well do a pourover.”
Finkelstein is just "thick" ... self-absorbed. (hehe)

Thankfully my wife nor I like coffee. We have a keurig at the ski house for a quick hot chocolate, spiced cider, or tea in the AM or when dropping in for a quick warm up. A reusable filter and few K-cups around for guests who can't survive without a cup 'o Joe and the keurig serves its purpose well. Bad hosts for sure -you get keurig or no Joe.

Last edited by sitzmark; 09-01-2019 at 09:45 AM.
Old 09-01-2019, 10:55 AM

My Keurig has served me well for years. I use a refillable cup and get whatever coffee I want. Keep your pods, mindless consumers buy buy buy..... Mine has a "strong" setting that takes a little longer but produces a much better cup of coffee. I'm no coffee connoisseur but I can tell apart good coffee and bad, Keurig will brew good coffee if you use good beans.
Old 09-01-2019, 12:22 PM

If she’s going to business school they’re going to try and fill her head with the idea that the environment and anything else is not important compared to making the most money. So saying Keurig is an environmental catastrophe will not work.

Play the angle that Keurig is overpriced.
Old 09-01-2019, 12:33 PM
Randomhead

I started using the aeropress when I was drinking a large amount of coffee. The logistics and expense of keeping pods in the house was just too much. Going to the coffee shop for beans was a lot cheaper and the coffee was better.

The thing that makes the aeropress a lot better is a stainless screen instead of the paper screens. I resisted that idea at first, but it just makes it a lot more convenient.

In our house, keurig machines just don't last very long. Not sure what we do to them, but letting them run out of water is bad. I have an unwanted expertise in getting them running again, but I always hate working on them.
Old 09-01-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
If she’s going to business school they’re going to try and fill her head with the idea that the environment and anything else is not important compared to making the most money. So saying Keurig is an environmental catastrophe will not work.

Play the angle that Keurig is overpriced.
Haha! She received her PhD in philosophy a few years ago, so I don't think their going to do anything to change her mind regarding ethics.
Old 09-01-2019, 02:49 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by acoffin View Post
Haha! She received her PhD in philosophy a few years ago, so I don't think their going to do anything to change her mind regarding ethics.
And now MBA? Yoikes....she’s risking being overqualified for just about any job in business...Philosophy=ethics, Biz=Noo ethics...
Old 09-01-2019, 02:58 PM

I say, let her drink her coffee via whichever brewing method she chooses and you do the same.

Coffee as you know can be very personal.
Old 09-01-2019, 03:02 PM

Agree with previous poster..... Aeropress make a great coffee, are inexpensive, and simple. Paper filters are <$5.00 for 500 or go with a stainless screen. Keurig make a horrible coffee IMO. My workplace has them and I use my Aeropress versus bad coffee and the waste from Keurig. YMMV.
Old 09-01-2019, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
And now MBA? Yoikes....she’s risking being overqualified for just about any job in business...Philosophy=ethics, Biz=Noo ethics...
My guess is that by going for an MBA now, she may have figured that 'following your bliss', as Joseph Campbell has said, might not be as practical as putting the dineros on the table. Besides, no one (except academia, I suspect) will hire a Ph.D in Philosophy, but the transferrable skills inherent with that plus the MBA may hopefully be of considerable interest in the business world. Hope so, anyway....
Old 09-01-2019, 04:25 PM
slower than you

MBA training will quicly teach her how ridiculously expensive pods are compared to beans.
Old 09-01-2019, 04:30 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtayBW View Post
My guess is that by going for an MBA now, she may have figured that 'following your bliss', as Joseph Campbell has said, might not be as practical as putting the dineros on the table. Besides, no one (except academia, I suspect) will hire a Ph.D in Philosophy, but the transferrable skills inherent with that plus the MBA may hopefully be of considerable interest in the business world. Hope so, anyway....
Ethics, research, compliance, and administration.
Old 09-01-2019, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
It is a misconception that Nespresso just creates a cup of espresso. It does more.
How? You can change the amount of water it dispenses per cup which basically means you're just watering down the espresso, or am I missing something?
Old 09-01-2019, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loxx0050 View Post
But, personally I cold brew these days and make a concentrate to mix with water when I'm ready to drink. Did it to reduce the acidity because of heartburn issues. But it helps improve the flavor of most coffee beans actually. I make around 1.5 week's worth of concentrate for myself at a time and store it in the fridge. I have one of those hot water boiler dispensers so I get practically instant coffee faster than a Nespresso or Keurig.
This! I've been preparing cold brew stock for years now, and overall, I truly believe that I give up little in quality over fresh brewed each morning (and I use high quality beans I grind myself, filtered water, etc.). And I believe that this approach actually saves time over daily use of a Keurig/Nespresso/etc.

Hopefully I don't offend anyone, but all pod coffee is inferior to well-prepared fresh brew, and yes, I've tried them all.

And don't forget the time necessary to really keep your pod machine clean . . . have fun reading the articles about the results if you don't.
Old 09-01-2019, 11:01 PM
'97 Ti Legend

Another Aeropress pitch, 10 seconds to burr grind the coffee. I fill my coffee cup with filtered water, toss it in the electric kettle so I don't overfill the press, 5 minutes all in, slower than the pod machine, but much better.
Old 09-02-2019, 07:33 AM

Actually I just meant the Keurig machines are expensive. I didn’t realize how expensive the pods are.

My wife dragged me into a discount store yesterday. I couldn’t believe a lot of the k-cup coffee was over $20/lb when you do the math on net weight. And this was a bargain bin junky store, the k-cups there were probably older than dirt after not selling elsewhere for a higher price. The green mountain coffee was the most expensive of the pods.

Most of the local fresh roasted stuff I buy (often roasted within 48 hours of when I buy it) stays under $20/lb.

They sure seem to try and trick people into thinking k-cups are a good deal by making the coffee weak too. Those boxes at the discount store looked okay if you do the math as pods/dollar but not grams/dollar once you notice they average 8-9g/pod.

Last edited by benb; 09-02-2019 at 07:35 AM.