Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-31-2019, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seramount View Post
Keurig coffee doesn't taste very good and generates a bunch of unnecessary waste...

what other evidence would one need to not buy one...?
I don't think Keurig "makes" the coffee that their machines brew. As Old Spud said: it's a system to put hot water through ground coffee. If you don't like the result try buying different cups. As I wrote earlier, I use cream and sugar to make a hot drink that I enjoy and I can detect differences but not like pro coffee tasters who slosh/swirl a teaspoon of fresh straight brewed coffee in their mouths to find THEIR favorite.
Old 09-01-2019, 12:41 AM

get the refillable cup

Most of the Keurig brewed drinks are pretty terrible, but I also grind and brew my own espresso. I'm a coffee snob.

However, some people like the perceived convenience of the coffee machine. Get the best of both worlds I say, get a burr grinder, dial in your grind and get the dosable reusable cup. Cake and eat it too.

Honestly though I'd say save that money and just use a pourover system.
Old 09-01-2019, 12:57 AM

Keurig absolutely "makes" the coffee the machines brew. It puts not hot enough water through stale freeze-dried low-grade coffee (of various suppliers).

Inventor of the Keurig uses drip, and laments the environmental impact:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...?noredirect=on

To the Op-have you considered an Aeropress setup? Single serve, quick brew time, extremely easy cleanup and sort of idiot-proof with brewing (there's a ton of various methods, but the standard method always works fine for me).
Old 09-01-2019, 02:07 AM
The B!

Quote:
Originally Posted by parallelfish View Post
Let her enjoy coffee the way she likes.

if your wife wants a stupid coffee thing, get her the stupid coffee thing. and get the nicer one, too.
Old 09-01-2019, 02:53 AM

It is a misconception that Nespresso just creates a cup of espresso. It does more.

I won’t argue strongly in its favor except when compared to Keurig. In that battle it’s a clear winner.

Lately I’ve been staying with my cousin and he has a drip machine that he sets up every evening. It’s not difficult really and cleanup is a couple minutes. It’s a bit more tedious than the other pod systems but creates the least waste and the quality of the coffee is just fine.
Old 09-01-2019, 06:32 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seramount View Post
Keurig coffee doesn't taste very good and generates a bunch of unnecessary waste...

what other evidence would one need to not buy one...?
See above..there are scads of brands of coffee that use the Keurig 'system' and many 'pods' are either re-useable or compostable..
Quote:
Most of the Keurig brewed drinks are pretty terrible, but I also grind and brew my own espresso. I'm a coffee snob.
Nothing wrong with being a anything 'snob' but the OP was all about speed and decent coffee.
Quote:
So, my wife just started a professional MBA and wants fast and easy coffee.
I like good coffee also but it's coffee...so not too sweated up about custom beans, and big $ 'systems' that make me a cup of coffee(I guess I'm not a coffee snob)..

Keurig system, with Boyds or Joes coffee..works great, tastes good...yo...

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 09-01-2019 at 06:36 AM.
Old 09-01-2019, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45K10 View Post
Personally, I'm a French press kind of guy. Having a Keurig would enable me to drink too much coffee

That's exactly what happens with me. We've got a "nice" Keurig, but I prefer French press. I'll make 1 FP and be done for the day, or I'll drink 5-6 Kcups a day.

Wife isn't very picky, so she tends to default to the Keurig for speed and ease.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 09-01-2019, 07:05 AM

Sitting here drinking my second cup of the morning from my Keurig. You'll get no help from me, sorry.

Simple and taste fine by my standards.
Old 09-01-2019, 08:04 AM

I've got one in my office at work. I've got a refillable cup with a bag of Peets in my fridge. I also have a box of assorted for visitors. I'm a retired sailor, my coffee is black so the Keurig works for me. I have my first cup in the early am from my old Cuisinart, cups 2 and 3 at work via Keurig. Weekend coffee is from the drip Cuisinart.
Old 09-01-2019, 08:08 AM

Lots of great ideas here, thanks everyone. She is pretty excited about Nespresso. I think we're going to go with a virtuo since they are on sale right now.

As a side note, I'll probably work on perfecting my brew methods as the fall gets nearer. I have a good Burr grinder and electric kettle plus some fantastic local roasters, so it's silly not to make better coffee at home.
Old 09-01-2019, 08:21 AM
50 bpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
Keurig doesn’t taste like fresh butt. It tastes like overripe butt.
I'm afraid I don't have a common frame of reference.
Old 09-01-2019, 08:30 AM
Everything is connected

Not long after we were first married, my wife started her Masters program and it was a lot of work for her juggling a full time job, coupled with schoolwork...throw in being married to me and she was maxed out. Congrats to your wife and she’ll need strong support from you, starting with the coffee maker selection! Just reading this thread, I see an MBA thesis subject in the making.
Old 09-01-2019, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojingoh View Post
However, some people like the perceived convenience of the coffee machine. Get the best of both worlds I say, get a burr grinder, dial in your grind and get the dosable reusable cup. Cake and eat it too.
I'd say that some people like the actual convenience. Just depends on what you're looking for....
Old 09-01-2019, 09:22 AM
formerly Landshark_98

Another option - Illy iperespresso. Limited to Illy roasts but if you like their roasts, which we do, the espresso is pretty good. Our fancy machine is at the repair store so we picked one up - free machine (cheap plastic thing) in exchange for a coffee pod subscription. They recycle the pods (doesn't change the fact that your adding more plastic to our plastic dilemna but at least its not headed to the landfill. Any you can take apart the pods and DIY with your own ground coffee. When the Vibiemme is repaired (replaced?) we'll probably go back to the good stuff, but the convience and coffee quality is fine for now.
Old 09-01-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefantino View Post
I'm afraid I don't have a common frame of reference.
I was waiting for someone to respond to the actual words I wrote. To be honest, I have no frame of reference either. But I thought it sounded nice!