Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-31-2019, 11:09 AM

OT: Talk my partner out of a Keurig?

So, my wife just started a professional MBA and wants fast and easy coffee. I really hate the idea of Keurig, but don't have any great reasons other than the associated waste and thought of another small appliance. What should we do?

A little background: I am a tea and espresso guy, loose leaf black tea at home and espresso from select coffee shops. My wife on the other hand likes brewed coffee and is not quite as picky as me. At home we have Hario v60, Chemex, and French press. I got the Hario and Chemex to make her nice coffee but honestly I am not that good at using them. She also doesn't love coffee from the French press and wants something faster/easier.

Should we consider a traditional drip single serv? Maybe I should perfect my pour over skills? Anyone have other ideas or methods they think could work for us, or support for the Keurig?
Old 08-31-2019, 11:13 AM

I'm no coffee'phile and I don't like Keurig coffee, that's what my employer offers. If committed to fast and easy Nespresso is FAR better, the couple dozen times I've had it I was impressed.

Sent from my LM-X410UM using Tapatalk

Last edited by donevwil; 08-31-2019 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Honest, I can spell.
Old 08-31-2019, 11:17 AM

Yeah, get a Nespresso. They recycle the pods, and the coffee is better. And then plant a few trees if you feel wasteful.
Old 08-31-2019, 11:17 AM

Nespresso is pretty good and the pods are aluminum and you can recycle them.

I had a Keurig and felt like the coffee always tasted like plastic.
Old 08-31-2019, 11:18 AM

Let her enjoy coffee the way she likes.
Old 08-31-2019, 11:20 AM

Perfect pour-over skills - there is no comparison between the auto machines and that (though Nespresso isn't awful for quick shot in the AM from my Airbnb experience). A pour-over is quick, easy, no maintenance, etc. Hard to go wrong there.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 08-31-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parallelfish View Post
Let her enjoy coffee the way she likes.
Also, this - choose your Rubicons..

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 08-31-2019, 11:22 AM

It cant be good for the world to ship little capsules of coffee everywhere.. Its an argument that she cant really not understand.

Coffee is better freshly grinded anyways.
Old 08-31-2019, 11:56 AM

I gave up my burr grinder and drip brewer for a Keurig from COSTCO figuring if I didn't like it COSTCO makes returns very easy so the risk was minimal. It came with a few cups of several different varieties of coffee. Overall I'm very pleased and have tried about 10 different blends. I haven't yet decided on a favorite and maybe never will because I like Peet's Major Dickason Blend and Starbuck's Sumatran and Cafe Verona pretty well. I have French Roast and more to try.

My Keurig came with a reusable pod that I can fill with any coffee I want should I want to resurrect my grinder. I read that at least one other company is making pods for use in a Keurig that are degradable so those will be on my list to try too.

The best parts of Keurig use for me are it's very fast brewing the first cup and even faster for a second cup. When I used my drip machine the first cup MIGHT have been a little better but the second cup was worse due to sitting 10 minutes on the hot plate. I still have a French press too, liked its coffee but hated the clean-up.

I confess: I use sugar and cream and that obviously makes discerning fine differences between good coffees problematic compared to real coffee experts. Oh yeah: my wife loves how tidy the Keurig is with no hidden coffee dust on the counter like I sometimes left after grinding my beans.

If you can buy a Keurig at a store with an easy return policy I'd say give it a try. Maybe your wife will decide your methods are worth the effort.
Old 08-31-2019, 11:57 AM
what's a little rust?

Pour over!

My wife heard my lament about the price of an 8 oz Americano and made me a coffee basket for the office: hand grinder, electric tea pot, filters and funnel, beans. I can have a yummy pour over in minutes, and I enjoy the process.
Old 08-31-2019, 12:14 PM
You still here?

I like my Keurig for a quickie. Instead of using their pods I buy my favorite ground coffee and use the mesh baskets that can be filled with your ground coffee in place of the pod.
Old 08-31-2019, 12:27 PM

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SKCMXF2...cr_wdg_tit_rfb

one touch freshly ground coffee. Refurbished machine we have has lasted years with no trouble.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 61szfTKH1dL._SL1348_.jpg (41.6 KB, 412 views)
Old 08-31-2019, 12:32 PM

I would also recommend a Nespresso over a Keurig. Both in taste and less environmental waste.

But, personally I cold brew these days and make a concentrate to mix with water when I'm ready to drink. Did it to reduce the acidity because of heartburn issues. But it helps improve the flavor of most coffee beans actually. I make around 1.5 week's worth of concentrate for myself at a time and store it in the fridge. I have one of those hot water boiler dispensers so I get practically instant coffee faster than a Nespresso or Keurig.
Old 08-31-2019, 12:38 PM

We have two coffee stations at home -- the Keurig for my wife and guests, and a Capresso grinder and french press for me.

She makes/drinks coffee her way, I make/drink coffee my way.

While I miss the near instant availability of coffee in the morning (memories of Mr. Coffee with a timer), I much prefer the end result. I'm not going to try to convert my wife, nor will she me...
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 08-31-2019, 12:46 PM

If she doesn't mind coffee that tastes like fresh butt then the Keurig is fine and dandy.

However, if she likes good coffee then get a good electric burr grinder and an automatic pour over brewer.

Will take 5-10 mins to grind and brew and will taste infinitely better, if not 100% like a purpose-made Chemex cup.