Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-03-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs View Post
Kind of moot now I suppose, but Performance Ultra - some versions are (were) great. I have one set about 12 years old that I still use and are in my "long ride" rotation. For a couple of years they were a thin, waffle like material that was definitely "get what you pay for" range but the last set I bought were much better - wore them today.

I'm sure the Asian factory that made these is cranking them out for some other store brand. the problem I've found with finding a good value bib is that most brands change the bib drastically just about every year, so you can't just go back and buy the same model again. I have a set of Sportful bibs that fit perfectly and I love. I bought another set a couple of years later, same size, same model but completely different. I returned them and got one size bigger and they're still too small.
This is in the same boat, but my favorite pair of bibs are Nashbar brand. I think I paid $40 or $50 for them (not sure; too long ago). Wish I could get another pair, but those days are gone.

http://rothrockcyrcle.wordpress.com/
Old 09-03-2019, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Kind of moot now I suppose, but Performance Ultra - some versions are (were) great. I have one set about 12 years old that I still use and are in my "long ride" rotation. For a couple of years they were a thin, waffle like material that was definitely "get what you pay for" range but the last set I bought were much better - wore them today.

I'm sure the Asian factory that made these is cranking them out for some other store brand. the problem I've found with finding a good value bib is that most brands change the bib drastically just about every year, so you can't just go back and buy the same model again. I have a set of Sportful bibs that fit perfectly and I love. I bought another set a couple of years later, same size, same model but completely different. I returned them and got one size bigger and they're still too small.
I really liked a blue chamois version of these too. Then the next years' iteration changed to a yellow chamois (which was ok, but not as good for me) and became much more compressive (in a way I really disliked). I still use my blue chamois ones occasionally, though they have been retired to MTB short liner duty - just got done with a portion of the Colo. Trail and used a pair of these to get through three 8-10 hour days. They performed like champs.
Old 09-03-2019, 12:26 PM

Assos fit me better than just about everything and AFAICT they are the best value for me. It's kind of become a no-brainer at this point.

I have paid $200 for each of the pairs of Assos bibs I own (4 pairs). I have not had to throw any of them away. The oldest 2 pairs were bought in 2011! I've crashed multiple times in some of these bibs without them tearing which blows me away. I basically just don't buy the top end Assos, I buy the most affordable ones. The two newer pairs I have are 1 of T.Mille S7 and 1 of Equipe EVO. I think the older ones are an earlier form of the Equipe shorts.

The color has faded on my oldest 2 pairs but not in a way that makes them transparent/unusable, they just don't look as black.

Value is very relative.. there are a lot of junky shorts that are in the $100-150 range. I've had shorts in that range fall apart within 1-2 seasons. Others have absolute sandpaper chamois. Or the fit is just all wrong.

My mileage is not that extreme but everyone's mileage becomes extreme over a long enough time. You might not ride 7-10k/yr but if you ride 3-5k/yr that's just 2 seasons instead of 1.

I have some Boure shorts and they are built like a tank, very heavy duty, but they just don't fit me as well as Assos.

Saddle sores for me are way more about bike fit & most particularly about proper cleat alignment. But fit & durability are worth the extra $50-100 for me. Also the peace of mind of being able to go get another pair easily and have them fit perfectly again.

Last edited by benb; 09-03-2019 at 12:28 PM.
Old 09-03-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamer View Post
The OP mentioned nothing about mega-mile type use. And expressed a desire to keep the price down compared to Rapha, for example.

In general, one does not need to buy premium shorts to get a pair that will not break down after a few uses, will not chafe, fits well, and looks good.

That all said, you don't need to justify your purchases to anyone. With perhaps only a few exceptions here and there, almost everyone on this forum rides a bike as a leisure time activity and all expenses are purely discretionary.
I guess all I really wanted to hear was something along the lines of - hey, I bought these shorts from Acme Short co and they were every bit as great as my shorts from Widget Short co that costs 3x as much!

Or something like that.

But ya, wear what fits your but the best!
Old 09-03-2019, 12:45 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

Not sure what size you are, but these bibs from Donkey Label are a great value!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Donkey-Labe...ss!53222!US!-1
Old 09-03-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggieburger View Post
I guess all I really wanted to hear was something along the lines of - hey, I bought these shorts from Acme Short co and they were every bit as great as my shorts from Widget Short co that costs 3x as much!

Or something like that.

But ya, wear what fits your but the best!
Exactly what I was hoping for too when I read your original post.

I don't mind paying upwards of a $100 for a predictably good pair of shorts, but its very easy to get a junk pair at that price too.

$250 is no guarantee either, but your odds do improve a lot. However I simply cannot justify paying that much. Just my personal decision. Not intending to cast negativity towards those who CAN justify it.

http://rothrockcyrcle.wordpress.com/
Old 09-03-2019, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Kind of moot now I suppose, but Performance Ultra - some versions are (were) great.
You can still get Performance Ultra bibs from www.amaincycling.com.

https://www.amaincycling.com/perform...20494?v=917428
Old 09-03-2019, 06:03 PM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by merckx View Post
...The absolute best chamois I have used was an ExteOndo Golden chamois. .....
+1

Disappointed when they went to the Elastic Interface pad like almost every other bib brand....EI is a good pad, but the Golden Chamois was great!

I still have a couple pairs of bibs with it....
Old 09-03-2019, 06:35 PM
v a n i l l a

I'd buy Q35.5 but I can get Rapha on sale. My classics and pro team last a loooong time. Like 4+ seasons.

Want to save? mavic and capo

Castelli? Not yet convinced will be ok for 35+ mile rides.

Then again I like a thin pad and a firm flat saddle. my a$$ is hard
Old 09-03-2019, 07:24 PM

I bought some DHB bibs for use as MTB baggie liners. I ended up using them quite a bit on the road as well. Are they as good as my Assos? Maybe not, but since they don't cause my taint any problems it is hard to tell the difference. I know the DHBs have proved better than any of the stuff I bought from Voler.
Old 09-03-2019, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulspinner View Post
Toyota Tacoma
but not "preowned"
Old 09-04-2019, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfdog98 View Post
Anyone try these Pedal Ed shorts with storage ?

https://pedaled.com/products/odyssey-bibshort

Or these by 7mesh ?

https://7mesh.com/mens-mk3-bib-short
7mesh my fav. Make best rain gear imo also

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old 09-04-2019, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dromen View Post
7mesh my fav. Make best rain gear imo also

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Cool, thanks. Not much mention of 7mesh here, but am going to order a pair of their bib shorts today.
Old 09-04-2019, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrofit View Post
but not "preowned"
Old 06-02-2020, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
Hey Bill,

I have been using Boure's for over a decade and keep coming back to them, with trying assos, rapha, q36 intermittently.

Using the pro chamois. Nice, thin, flat. They last forever, the chamois if perfect for me, the material glides perfectly with getting out of the saddle for our New England 1 million feet a year climbing. Philosophy is that the padding should be in the saddle, so these don't have the stupid thick diaper with these awful pathetic pseudoanatomic crests and rims.

Drew is as good guy who stands up for the product.

Give them a try.
Andreas, this recommendation was spot-on. Nearly a year later my wife binned my onion-skin Assos bibs, and I received the Boure pro bibs. The pad is perfect, and is sans the over-engineered BS that other bicycle clothing manufacturers are chasing. Thank you for the rec. Stay well!