Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-25-2019, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
Don't you have a quick link on your chain? Remove the chain before you wash the bike.

Smoove works better than any crock pot waxing I've used in the past.
I’m gonna experiment with the cleaning with the chain on, just avoiding washing the chain. I’ll report back on this approach.
Old 08-25-2019, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9tubes View Post
Do you use a replaceable chain link? SRAM links aren't cheap (they're supposed to be one-use items) and what about Shimano?

I use quick links on all my chains. YBN links are inexpensive and can be reused.
Old 08-26-2019, 07:24 AM

I have wax in an old crock pot, which I bought second hand. About once every 200-300km I put the chain in the wax, keeps it all running perfectly

I use ultrasonic cleaner on new chain and before waxing for first time, otherwise chain goes directly into wax

Do other people ever clean old wax off the chain? I am working on the principal that it is best to build up the wax by reapplying all the time
Old 08-26-2019, 07:48 AM

Wax won't build up with multiple applications. Old wax melts off and new wax hopefully fill the gaps between all the moving parts.

I'm skeptical that chains don't need cleaning before rewaxing. Dirt tends to get into the gaps, once a lot of the wax falls off.

Instead of waxing, I use a home made wax based dry lube, and reapply frequently, so no chain removal is required, but at some point a good cleaning would still be wise.
Old 08-26-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
I use quick links on all my chains. YBN links are inexpensive and can be reused.
I suspect that you use YBN Chains?
Old 08-26-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbbr View Post
I suspect that you use YBN Chains?

No. Shimano.
Old 08-26-2019, 01:29 PM

Interesting, thanks! I want to try wax but have been wondering if using the Shimano quick link over and over is a good idea.
Old 08-26-2019, 03:05 PM
PegoNagos

I have been waxing all of my chains for about 5 years. I can't see ever going back to regular lube.

I always clean the chains before rewaxing. I have a mason jar full of mineral spirits - toss in the chain, seal the lid, then shake shake, then remove the chain, wipe with paper towels (wear latex gloves), then into the melted wax for 3-4 hours.

I usually do multiple chains at a time. It's really easy - you just need to plan ahead (heat the wax which take a couple of hours, then clean and drop into the wax, then remove a few hours later).
Old 08-26-2019, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pritchet74 View Post
I have been waxing all of my chains for about 5 years. I can't see ever going back to regular lube.

I always clean the chains before rewaxing. I have a mason jar full of mineral spirits - toss in the chain, seal the lid, then shake shake, then remove the chain, wipe with paper towels (wear latex gloves), then into the melted wax for 3-4 hours.

I usually do multiple chains at a time. It's really easy - you just need to plan ahead (heat the wax which take a couple of hours, then clean and drop into the wax, then remove a few hours later).
What size crock pot do you have that you can do multiple chains? I assume the mini crock pots cant do that many
Old 08-26-2019, 10:42 PM

Keen to know the answer to this as well. I'm not sure whether to go for a 3.5L crockpot or a 5.5L crockpot.

Also totally undecided on whether PTFE powder is worth getting or not.
Old 08-27-2019, 09:02 AM

i don't think the cooker size matters as much as allowing it to come back to temp after inserting the chain...I usually leave it in for 20 min or so.

As to the ptfe, no idea, but it was cheap enough.
Old 08-27-2019, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbb View Post
Keen to know the answer to this as well. I'm not sure whether to go for a 3.5L crockpot or a 5.5L crockpot.

Also totally undecided on whether PTFE powder is worth getting or not.
I recently gave waxing another go and I used a 1.5 qt cheapie from Amazon. Was plenty big enough for one chain.
Old 08-27-2019, 01:14 PM
PegoNagos

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmradio516 View Post
What size crock pot do you have that you can do multiple chains? I assume the mini crock pots cant do that many
Not sure of the exact size in quarts or liters, but it's about an 8" diameter.
Old 08-27-2019, 01:18 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

I was under the impression that if you waxed your chain you always had 2 chains. 1 on the bike and 1 fresh one ready to be installed when it comes time to switch. That way, a clean one is always on deck.
Old 08-27-2019, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kppolich View Post
I was under the impression that if you waxed your chain you always had 2 chains. 1 on the bike and 1 fresh one ready to be installed when it comes time to switch. That way, a clean one is always on deck.
Not here. Chain goes in the wax at the start of the bike wash. Comes out of the wax when finished washing. Chain Back on the bike once cooled. Been doing it this way for thirty years. It’s simple and of minimal effort - can’t imagine taking hours to wax a chain. Not interested in unnecessary voodoo.

Last edited by parallelfish; 08-27-2019 at 05:53 PM.