Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-20-2019, 01:08 PM

and New

Informal work spaces in case you come up with a new strategy to exploit artists while walking down the stairs for coffee!

Last edited by beeatnik; 08-20-2019 at 01:12 PM.
Old 08-20-2019, 01:12 PM
mentholated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekonick View Post
There are some interesting underground new groups out there... Here - try this for a shock: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQNtGoM3FVU Seriously - I dare you to watch the entire video and then give me your impression. From the Ukraine.
i bet youll be blown away by van canto.
Old 08-20-2019, 01:16 PM
cmg

started the thread because local stations, yes in the car mostly, only play top 20 from the 80's early 90's. they play "Smells like teen sprit" as if it was just released yesterday. how many times can you hear this stuff before you stop caring?
Old 08-20-2019, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTHBROOKS View Post

OH man I'm seriously jealous. About 10 years ago in a fit of wanting to clear the clutter I gave away about 1/2 the amount of vinyl shown in your collection. Mostly to my daughters college friends. We kept about 50 albums. I rarely listen to them but there are some I just plain miss and streaming them just isn't the same.
Old 08-20-2019, 01:22 PM

^you should check out his tape collection
Old 08-20-2019, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Who said anything about listening to it on vinyl?

Companies are pressing new releases on vinyl. What consumers do with it after the fact is their own business.

But new stuff is getting pressed to vinyl. It sells.
This thread is about listening to music, so vinyl wall art is irrelevant.

And I originally mentioned 78 RPM records, which typically weren't made of vinyl anyway.
Old 08-20-2019, 02:23 PM
mentholated

jack white and that joke of a record label of his has totally released novelty 78s in the past few years.
Old 08-20-2019, 02:26 PM

Problem is radio has turned into an Oligarchy like most other US industries. They build set play list with low DJ influence and crap comes out. There is so much good music out there, classic and current that doesn't get out live. They are self destroying themselves like TV stations.
Old 08-20-2019, 02:30 PM

I think a lot of this is just ClearChannel/I Heart Radio controlling too much.

I am not sure we'd even have hip-hop/rap being so dominant (at least among white kids) if it wasn't for the amount of control CC/IHR has.

I don't necessarily dislike Classic Rock and a lot of the other older music in other genres but the CC/IHR stations play a very limited subset of that.

AFAICT anything from the 90s is fair game for Classic Rock Radio now. Lots of stuff like SoundGarden and Alice in Chains and such gets in rotation on the Classic rock stations here.

We have one station here in the Boston area (WAAF) owned by Entercom which does a better job of putting newer rock/metal on the radio. But they have the achilles heel that there DJs decided to become outlandish conservative shock jocks over the past 10-15 years. The same guy has been running the morning show since at least 1990 and he never talked politics back then, now it's pretty much a conservative morning show that is unlistenable. If you wanted to listen to conservative radio you wouldn't listen to them, you'd find something better.

We used to have WBCN, great station, they were owned by Beasley.. they ran Howard Stern in the morning for a very long time, him going to Satellite radio really hurt the station. It got replaced by a Hip Hop station & sports radio. That definitely sucked for rock in our area.

I don't know.. around here I think the kids do actually listen to the Vinyls. Vinyl sales are pretty strong, and the record stores sell turntables and those seem to move too.

Gary Clark Jrs album from earlier this year is pretty "hard/rock" and is fantastic if you haven't listened to it.
Old 08-20-2019, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
This thread is about listening to music, so vinyl wall art is irrelevant.

And I originally mentioned 78 RPM records, which typically weren't made of vinyl anyway.
I salute your ability to make any subject needlessly pedantic.

Chapeau sir. I'll now return to staring at the vinyl I can't play for music I don't enjoy.
Old 08-20-2019, 02:34 PM

Classic rock makes me want to stick needles in my eyes. A while ago, I just said no...

Still OTA, but listen to WFUV (Fordham U/NPR) because they play mostly 'new' music, though it skews a little emo, has a play list--but at least it is new.

Lots of good music being made today--not so much the guitar/bass/drums, but people are working in banjo and fiddle lines. Not sure if it is officially roots music, alt-country or whatever, but some of it is damned good. Punch Brothers stand out for me--but I'm too old to care to remember many of the names. Half of the performers seem to have graduated from Berklee School of Music, so some sophistication is present.

My backup OTA is the Newark jazz NPR affiliate WBGO Newark--sometimes excruciating, sometimes most excellent, including the Saturday morning blues/r&b show...

Last edited by paredown; 08-20-2019 at 02:37 PM.
Old 08-20-2019, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
Classic rock is 60's and 70's isn't it?

I was just thinking of this the other day. Being a Gen Xr who was in high school in 1985 I remember well the 80's music. There was also 50's, 60's, and 70's music. Well, in the rock genre. There was of course 20's, 30'2 and 40's too but that was for your parents.
I guess it depends on what the definition of "classic" is....

TP (who also had an incredible DJ gig on Sirius XM for many years, really good about so much music) says CR goes at least back to (from the pov of the kids, ie him) or up to (from the pov of parents, ie his momma) specifically 1953, and I always believe Tom Petty (and his momma), especially regarding rock matters:
They came this mornin' with a dog on a chain
They came and took my little brother away
His generation never even got a name
Oh, yeah

Well, my momma was a rocker way back in '53
Buys them old records that they sell on T.V.
Hey I know Chuck Berry wasn't singin' that to me
Oh, no

Tom Petty - My Life/Your World (Live)

Old 08-20-2019, 02:47 PM

There's a decent You Tube channel by a musician named Rick Beatto(sp) where he touches on this subject as well as many other music subjects.

This thread reminded me of one of the old WKRP episodes where a hot shot programmer was going to be brought in. The upshot was that programmers would be the death knell of "good" rock stations. Funny how 30+ years later we're having essentially that conversation.
Old 08-20-2019, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
...By the time I was in college, FM was the place to listen...
When rock music was first put on FM radio it was transgressive and underground in a major way. It was where you could hear all the good stuff.
Old 08-20-2019, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parris View Post
There's a decent You Tube channel by a musician named Rick Beatto(sp) where he touches on this subject as well as many other music subjects.
Rick's channel is great, I always look forward to his new uploads.