Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-25-2019, 09:39 AM

"38mm for fast paved riding? Seriously, drugs. "

post of the day...still riding 23 here on all my bikes...they work very well...maybe when a set wears out I will give 25's a try and can't imagine that much difference, but will keep open to the possibility...but 38? seriously...
Old 09-25-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaponsgrade View Post
The Racing Ralphs/Nobby Nics were what the bike originally came with. My Ripley is the LS model and I'm pretty sure the most I'll be able to squeeze in the back is a 2.4. It's almost time for a new tire and I'll be looking for something more aggressive.
My most frequent riding buddy is on a Ripley LS v3 (the neon yellow one), and he's running 2.6 Nobby Nics F and R - not much mud clearance but we don't ride when it's wet. Just a data point for you.

Racing Ralph is a nice tire, but it tends more to the "rolling resistance" side of the spectrum versus "velcro grip". At least on what I ride (Front Range moondust and kitty litter), Velcro grip feels better to me. I'd rather roll through turns then skate.

Happy tire shopping Go big and have fun!
Old 09-25-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottcw2 View Post
For Bay Area riders, what width 650b would you use for gravel, single track in the area? @joosttx, etc.
I don't ride 650B, but when I was considering it the Rene Herse Pumpkin Ridge were the tires I was planning on.

Fwiw.. I tried slicks (Bon Jon Pass etc) and compound tread tires(Override, Riddler, Clement etc).. The Override and Bon Jon Pass standing out as excellent tires, but for me and the hilly mix of rocky trails and loose sand on hard rock surfaces.. I ultimately landed on the Steilacomm pass.

No slippage on the trails and work great on pavement to boot.. the 38mm profile also gives the maximum width I can fit in my frame. I ride the north bay trails in Marin previously mentioned, plus east bay trails too (Wildcat, Tilden, Moraga etc).

Really spoiled riding in the Bay Area. So many trails, so little time!!

Last edited by Duende; 09-25-2019 at 11:14 AM.
Old 09-25-2019, 11:14 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
My most frequent riding buddy is on a Ripley LS v3 (the neon yellow one), and he's running 2.6 Nobby Nics F and R - not much mud clearance but we don't ride when it's wet. Just a data point for you.

Racing Ralph is a nice tire, but it tends more to the "rolling resistance" side of the spectrum versus "velcro grip". At least on what I ride (Front Range moondust and kitty litter), Velcro grip feels better to me. I'd rather roll through turns then skate.

Happy tire shopping Go big and have fun!
I have the older LS (orange). I've read of varying success with 2.5s. To be honest, I'm feeling tinges of new bike, but my bike slush fund is empty. I set a new PR at least according to Strava on a trail I know well while on the Ripmo
Old 09-25-2019, 11:27 AM
shimergo

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottcw2 View Post
For Bay Area riders, what width 650b would you use for gravel, single track in the area? @joosttx, etc.
I run 650x48 Gravelking SKs, tubeless, at around 20 psi, and mostly ride Marin stuff.