Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-19-2019, 03:37 PM

Espresso Machine: Rancilio Silvia or Gaggia Classic

Sorry for the off topic but seems like cyclists are some of the ppl most obsessed with espresso.
I narrowed it down to these two. Anybody would comment which one they prefer. If money was not an object I would take the Rocket Espresso Appartamento but it’s way out of my budget.
Thanks all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-19-2019, 03:49 PM

La Pavoni - You can close the thread now
Old 01-19-2019, 03:51 PM

FWIW I have a breville that has been bullet-proof. No experience with any other brand other than saeco and it was great until it stopped working after two years.
Old 01-19-2019, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreParagon View Post
Sorry for the off topic but seems like cyclists are some of the ppl most obsessed with espresso.
I narrowed it down to these two. Anybody would comment which one they prefer. If money was not an object I would take the Rocket Espresso Appartamento but it’s way out of my budget.
Thanks all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
there is a machine at chris coffee, open box special, better than both these machines but similar price.
https://www.chriscoffee.com/Quick-Mi..._evo_03240.htm

that being said, if you have not operated a lever machine, stick with rancillo. these machines work just fine. if you like the way a lever machine works, go for the gaggia.
Old 01-19-2019, 04:04 PM
PegoNagos

My first machine was a Gaggia Classic - I still love it - it's the home machine now. You can't go wrong with that choice.

Just be sure to do the Rancilio wand upgrade. Then (in my opinion) you have a better machine that a Silvia at a cheaper price.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWoNXAq2Kus
Old 01-19-2019, 04:22 PM

Warning. I did that "simple" wand upgrade for an ex-girlfriend... and it was not so simple. Different machine, but they had changed the clips and tried to make it so the simple switch was a bit more complicated. I had to fabricate new spring clips out of stainless steel dental wire. There was lots of cursing involved.
Old 01-19-2019, 04:22 PM

Rancilio for every day of the week ending in "day"

but then again, it really isn't a fair fight. A silvia PID is ~$900. Gaggia Classic is ~$400...

better question is how much in total do you have for your espresso project. $1500? Silvia PID + serviceable grinder (something ~$500-700). If $900, then the Gaggia plus a serviceable grinder.
Old 01-19-2019, 04:31 PM
PegoNagos

Quote:
Originally Posted by b3pkay View Post
Warning. I did that "simple" wand upgrade for an ex-girlfriend... and it was not so simple. Different machine, but they had changed the clips and tried to make it so the simple switch was a bit more complicated. I had to fabricate new spring clips out of stainless steel dental wire. There was lots of cursing involved.
Oh that sucks! It was simple when I did it. I guess that I just got lucky!
Old 01-19-2019, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
Rancilio for every day of the week ending in "day"

but then again, it really isn't a fair fight. A silvia PID is ~$900. Gaggia Classic is ~$400...

better question is how much in total do you have for your espresso project. $1500? Silvia PID + serviceable grinder (something ~$500-700). If $900, then the Gaggia plus a serviceable grinder.
yeah that's fair...I only do express and not capp...so the gaggia might be the one. thanks to all
Old 01-21-2019, 01:05 PM

Espresso Machine: Rancilio Silvia or Gaggia Classic

Used the Rancilio Silva for a short time and sold it because it could not hold a steady temperature. In order to pull a good shot purchase a machine that has a PID it wii make your life much easier.
I have been using the Vibiemme double boiler for over 9 years it's a real workhorse. Check out 1st-lineequipment, they have a large selection of machines. Also make sure to use a good Burr Grinder.
Old 01-21-2019, 01:13 PM

I have a Gaggia Classic at home and love it.
It's certainly a bare bones basic machine, but it's consistent. For the money, I think it's great.
My experience with the machine changed with a grinder, as coastrider said, get one - the matching Gaggia grinder is equally simple and does the job.
Old 01-21-2019, 02:42 PM

Haven't tried a Gaggia, but have had a Silvia with a PID for ten happy years. Paired with a Rocky grinder. I've probably gone through 300 pounds of coffee with it, and it has only needed a new steam wand and group head gasket. These are user-serviceable machines, built to last.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 01-21-2019, 04:29 PM
aka RAEKWON

none....

get the Crossland CC1

I just got one and its amazing for the price. I have never tried the silvia or the gagia but read at least 20 reviews, maybe more. Also, now that I have the Crossland I understand why it is superior.

What puts me off the gagia is no PID and aluminum boiler (yuck).

The rancillio is a pretty machine but also, no PID is a huge bummer, the water reservoir is also small...You can put a PID in it, its one of those machines that should have had a PID from the get go, it needs it. Of course a PID is $200 putting it at a much higher price point.

The crossland is fantastic, it suffers from being ugly compared to the rancillio (its not Italian so no style) but pulls great espresso. The milk frother is pretty decent too, can get some nice microfoam (I suck at it so far but have got some nice lattes and cappuccinos).
This machine also makes me want to upgrade to a dual boiler or an hx machine (both, out of my budget right now)
Old 01-21-2019, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
none....

get the Crossland CC1

I just got one and its amazing for the price. I have never tried the silvia or the gagia but read at least 20 reviews, maybe more. Also, now that I have the Crossland I understand why it is superior.

What puts me off the gagia is no PID and aluminum boiler (yuck).

The rancillio is a pretty machine but also, no PID is a huge bummer, the water reservoir is also small...You can put a PID in it, its one of those machines that should have had a PID from the get go, it needs it. Of course a PID is $200 putting it at a much higher price point.

The crossland is fantastic, it suffers from being ugly compared to the rancillio (its not Italian so no style) but pulls great espresso. The milk frother is pretty decent too, can get some nice microfoam (I suck at it so far but have got some nice lattes and cappuccinos).
This machine also makes me want to upgrade to a dual boiler or an hx machine (both, out of my budget right now)
Since I last commented on the CC1 in the other thread we've had to retire ours. Scale buildup again. Never happened to our Rancilio or previous Starbucks Saeco after twice the years of use. Great machine when it works, but something is inherently wrong with the design, the tech at Seattle Coffee gear who rebuilt it the first time admitted it's a known shortcoming.

Good luck.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donevwil View Post
Since I last commented on the CC1 in the other thread we've had to retire ours. Scale buildup again. Never happened to our Rancilio or previous Starbucks Saeco after twice the years of use. Great machine when it works, but something is inherently wrong with the design, the tech at Seattle Coffee gear who rebuilt it the first time admitted it's a known shortcoming.

Good luck.
i wonder if the Gaggia is that much better than the Starbucks (which is a re-branded Saeco). FWIW, my Saeco Via Venezia cost $150 new in 2008, and it brewed pretty good espresso when I upgraded to the unpressurized portafilter.

seems like these machines are slightly cheaper than the Gaggia