Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-17-2019, 07:28 PM

Going Backwards from Leather Saddle to Plastic on my Fierte?

The rain has kept me from getting my new Serotta IT Fierte fine tuned, but it's coming along slowly and I need some suggestions.

I've been riding for forty years and it took me thirty-five years to find a saddle that causes me NO pain or discomfort. It's the all leather Sella Anatomica. Can't say enough about this saddle, it "disappears" beneath me and lets me ride for hours without ever thinking about my rear end. It is the ONE piece of equipment that has had the most positive effect on my riding....ever!

However, now that I have this new Fierte, I am trying to reduce the weight while changing out some components and fine tuning it. The looks of the saddle doesn't bother me, but it certainly is on the heavy side. I'd just like to keep this elegant little carbon and Ti thing as light and svelte as possible.

So this question is for leather saddle converts. Have you ever "gone backwards" and found any type of plastic saddle that worked for you as well as your leather saddle did? I have eight saddles on my wall, and it was just an exercise in $$ and various levels of pain. By the way, I'm 130lbs and don't have a lot of padding back there and have fairly narrow sit bone dimensions.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:35 PM
Administrator

if:

A) the SA works well for you
B) looks are not relevant
C) you are trying to save weight

are true,

then:

Old 01-17-2019, 07:46 PM

Yea, but the new saddle does have to be comfortable. I think the jury is still out on the comfort of the all carbon SA....unless you know something more than I do??
Old 01-17-2019, 07:51 PM

If weight is the issue, SA makes a version of your saddle with an aluminum frame, saving 100 gr.

https://selleanatomica.com/collectio...es/products/x2
Old 01-17-2019, 07:53 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

If for nothing else in the world, saddles sure are one thing where "form follows function." Ride whatever's comfortable for you - it doesn't make any sense to ride something that isn't.

Even if it looks like one of these:

Old 01-17-2019, 08:18 PM

never rode an Anatomica

but did go from Brooks B17 leather to WTB Pure on all my bikes. Switched for weight and rain proofness. It does not disappear, as you suggest, but does enable a few hours in the saddle without undue issues.

https://www.wtb.com/products/pure
Old 01-17-2019, 08:32 PM

I used a leather Rivet Independence for awhile and I loved the comfort it provided. I decided to try something new on a new bike and bought a Berk Dila from one of the Forum Sponsors, Elite Velo.

I was skeptical about the possibility of a very light carbon saddle with some padding being comfortable after the Rivet. However, the Berk Dila weights about a pound less than the Independence and it is comfortable. I am sure there are other light carbon saddles that are also comfortable, but I was completely surprised and pleased with how light and how comfortable the Dila is in comparison to the Rivet, which I think is a very nice and comfortable saddle. So, I think you can find something to match your new ride that is lighter and comfortable, at least based on my sample of one.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:46 PM

My favorite is B-17 but Fizik Arione is a surprising second best. One of the Brooks Cambione might also work for you.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:55 AM

I bought a Fabric Scoop Race shallow and promptly ditched every leather saddle I owned.

Its 254 grams with titanium rails. I tried the Fkatbfirst and found the Shallow better. The microfiber cover makes water a non-issue.

https://fabric.cc/products/saddles/s...-142mm-saddle/
Old 01-18-2019, 01:39 AM

Like your experience my SA was the first saddle that disappeared for me. Or mostly did anyway. But it stretched a lot in a year, more than halfway through the adjustment bolt. After a very long hard ride last year it stretched enough to rattle the hardware.

Since then I'm back on the Grail search.

Anyways the SA taught me flat is what I'm into and the widest Toupe has been working for me most of the time fwiw.

My teammate sprung for the carbon one because he's into lighter and loves, but loves it.
Old 01-18-2019, 03:49 AM

Leather saddles like the Brooks follow a hammock design. The Cambrium, with or without the cut out fit similarly. If it is any help, I have been just as comfortable on a Selle San Marco Shortfit and the Aspide Supercomfort. O too have heard of people making the switch to an Alliante.
Old 01-18-2019, 04:14 AM

I'm a leather saddle user myself, but I do like the fabric scoop line of saddles and I can get along with Fizik aliante saddles for a couple of hours. Not quite the same feeling as my berthoud or Brooks saddles, but suitable for my bikes that may end up being ridden in foul weather or building up a bike a bit lighter.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Old 01-18-2019, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
If for nothing else in the world, saddles sure are one thing where "form follows function." Ride whatever's comfortable for you - it doesn't make any sense to ride something that isn't.

Even if it looks like one of these:

I'm very intrigued by this one, I think it has Serotta written all over it.

Thanks guys for your suggestions. I think I'll look into the SA Carbon. I did more searching and have found more than a few people who really like theirs. And the Fabric line looks interesting as well. Appreciate it.

Last edited by Hawker; 01-18-2019 at 09:20 AM.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:34 AM

Like you I struggled for many years trying to find a saddle that didn't try and kill me. Everyone kept saying Brooks, Brooks, Brooks but I didn't want to put a Bricks on my racing bike. I finally caved in and got a Swift with the Ti rails. It was still heavier then most saddles but it was within reason. Anyway I soon came to realize that it was the best thing that ever happened to me in my riding life so I bought a Swift for all my bikes and was a happy camper till... They started to break. Every one of them got tears at the rivets, two of them had broken shackles so finally I gave up. Too bad becasue I really liked them but they only lasted two years.

Fortunately by accident I bought a vintage 80's lightweight that had a Selle San Marcos Supercorsa saddle on it that I loved, a plastic saddle. They reissued it a few years ago so I bought a few of them. And actually the Cannondale that I bought a couple years ago came with the standard El-Cheapo saddle on it and it actually works well for me. But I'm sticking with the San Marcos.

So yeah I've come full circle.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:38 AM
aka RAEKWON

there are some of us that are more confortable on non leather saddles. I had a brooks and selle and a berthoud (this one by far my favorite leather saddle) but I actually prefer my fabric saddle. Then again I have never done 200 mile rides but for what I do, I am perfectly comfortable on the fabric. Its cheap, weights 200 and something grams and its actually pretty good looking.

Of course, no one is going to be able to guess what saddle you are going to like (specially switching from a leather saddle) so you are going to have to try. I always tell people to try the fabric because 1, I love it, 2 its cheap (I have seen them new for $40)... unlike a SMP which some like over here, at $200+ it is a bit harder to try... However there are some shops that let you try some saddles for free so if you are near one that is the best thing you could do.