Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-18-2019, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourflys View Post
Problem with the S2000 as mentioned already is the current value of them, especially IF you can find one that hasn't been modded out (I like to do my own mods). Plus, while the S2000 can be a beast, I'm not sure I'd enjoy having to wind out the motor to get the performance advantage over the Miata... *for those who don't know, the S2000 had an insane redline and you have to keep the revs up toward the top to keep in the VTEC powerband.

you can pick up a well-maintained NB Miata for $5k or under if you're patient, not gonna find an S for that...
My friend and I went and test drove an S2000 back in the day and walked away EXTREMELY underwhelmed. It was hilariously gutless under 6000rpm. I had an NA miata at the time and just didn't really think the S2000 was that much better, the S2000 was slower under 6000rpm too. Next I drove an M3 and fell in love...
Old 01-18-2019, 11:46 PM

Excuse the poor picture - taken mid maintenance as I realized I’d never had them both side by side. Both cars can fit the roof rack and carry bikes, but the rack lives on the C55.

The cars complement each other, fill in the weak spots of their partner and both are great fun.

The Mercedes is a five and a half liter AMG V8, the Porsche a 3.4 flat six, but I’m building a new 3.7 liter engine for the Porsche that should pull strongly to beyond 8,000 rpm- have that, S2000.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:08 AM

no more v70r?
Old 01-19-2019, 12:11 AM

I had an 850R- sold it to a friend and bought the C55. Was thinking today that once I’ve finished the 911 engine (ITB’s, high compression, lumpy cams, many revs) it would be fun to build another big turbo car. Turbo power is easy, fun power, NA power is punishingly expensive and difficult by comparison.