Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-18-2019, 04:30 PM
Small ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
Serious question as I get Miata lust every Spring. Have any of you ever been in a serious wreck in one? I passed one on I70 last week in my Odyssey and while they don't look very small when you are ogling one on foot, from the road I felt that I was driving a semi looking down on the Miata.

https://www.ancap.com.au/media-and-g...car-mazda-mx-5
A good friend was active in a Miata club and was involved in accident investigation with his local PD. He told me he saw one that was so wrecked no one could believe there were survivors. They walked away with relatively minor injuries.
Old 01-18-2019, 04:35 PM

These cars are toys. Oh sure, some people drive them daily, year round. I've seen them with snow tires here in Maine. But I would probably hate my car if I had to do that. And I really don't enjoy highway drives in the Miata. Too small to be mixing it up with the tractor trailer trucks and other ginormous things out there.

But, as a second car for scratching up the back roads - it's a hoot!

I bought mine when I sold the motorcycle I had at the time. It was the four wheeled substitute.
Old 01-18-2019, 05:28 PM

Not a serious wreck, but I got a hard sideswiping in mine once. Was in a left turn lane, had started moving forward with the green arrow, some middle-aged lady in a sedan was in the go-straight lane that still had a red light but evidently decided she wanted to turn left, so she gunned it into the side of my car. It "buffed right out" with about $2k worth of body work that her insurance paid for.

Miatas are like bicycles or motorcycles. Have to drive/ride as if you're invisible, and you could still get hit anyway.

I know people who have crashed & totaled their Miatas. Thankfully none of those folks were seriously/permanently hurt. All of them crashed their own cars during enthusiastic driving, and a recurring theme was overestimating the grip afforded by cold tires on cold pavement. They were also all solo wrecks (one on street, couple on tracks), hitting stationary objects, not involving other vehicles.
Old 01-18-2019, 05:43 PM
slower than you

You think they're bad, try driving a Caterham. Like a go cart. But, serious fun. 1000 pounds.
Old 01-18-2019, 06:49 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
Serious question as I get Miata lust every Spring. Have any of you ever been in a serious wreck in one? I passed one on I70 last week in my Odyssey and while they don't look very small when you are ogling one on foot, from the road I felt that I was driving a semi looking down on the Miata.

https://www.ancap.com.au/media-and-g...car-mazda-mx-5
I think there are many stories on Miata.net about folks walking away from a crash like above... one of the first things my wife made me do on NB was install a chassis-mounted rollbar... folks will argue about the effectiveness of them all day when used with normal seat belts, but my thought was it will support the car in a roll-over... I didn't get around to one on the NC since I didn't keep it long...
Old 01-18-2019, 06:52 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post
Don't forget the S2000.
Problem with the S2000 as mentioned already is the current value of them, especially IF you can find one that hasn't been modded out (I like to do my own mods). Plus, while the S2000 can be a beast, I'm not sure I'd enjoy having to wind out the motor to get the performance advantage over the Miata... *for those who don't know, the S2000 had an insane redline and you have to keep the revs up toward the top to keep in the VTEC powerband.

you can pick up a well-maintained NB Miata for $5k or under if you're patient, not gonna find an S for that...
Old 01-18-2019, 07:32 PM
Small ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourflys View Post
Problem with the S2000 as mentioned already is the current value of them, especially IF you can find one that hasn't been modded out (I like to do my own mods). Plus, while the S2000 can be a beast, I'm not sure I'd enjoy having to wind out the motor to get the performance advantage over the Miata... *for those who don't know, the S2000 had an insane redline and you have to keep the revs up toward the top to keep in the VTEC powerband.

you can pick up a well-maintained NB Miata for $5k or under if you're patient, not gonna find an S for that...

Also, insurances costs.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:34 PM
Small ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
You think they're bad, try driving a Caterham. Like a go cart. But, serious fun. 1000 pounds.
Coincidentally, my friend went by the nick of 'caterham' when he was on the bike forums.

He's now racing go carts.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:36 PM

Quote:
I think there are many stories on Miata.net about folks walking away from a crash like above... one of the first things my wife made me do on NB was install a chassis-mounted rollbar... folks will argue about the effectiveness of them all day when used with normal seat belts, but my thought was it will support the car in a roll-over... I didn't get around to one on the NC since I didn't keep it long...
I think a rollbar helps even with standard seat belts. OTOH 5-point belts without a rollbar can be a BIG mistake because if you do that and roll the car your spine becomes the rollbar and it's probably not strong enough. At a track day we had a student roll his E-36 M3 coupe with 5 point belts but no bar. Lucky for him he had installed them incorrectly so his upper body got tossed around and his helmeted head stuck out the driver's window when the roof came down and pinned his head to the windowsill rather than driving his spine through the floor. Once we opened the door he walked away. Lucky mistake!
Old 01-18-2019, 08:00 PM
slower than you

Quote:

Yeah, never drove the Honda, but always loved the power curve on the Miata. So easy. Super reliable engine, too. Lots of mods out there if you want to go that way.

The car is an awesome value. Whenever I see someone struggling to own and drive an old MG or Triumph, I think, man, just get a Miata and enjoy yourself. Those Brit cars were hard to maintain new. Masochistic.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:15 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-B View Post
These cars are toys. Oh sure, some people drive them daily, year round. I've seen them with snow tires here in Maine. But I would probably hate my car if I had to do that. And I really don't enjoy highway drives in the Miata. Too small to be mixing it up with the tractor trailer trucks and other ginormous things out there.

But, as a second car for scratching up the back roads - it's a hoot!

I bought mine when I sold the motorcycle I had at the time. It was the four wheeled substitute.
Having owned an MG Midget, these things are HUGE comparatively

Needing to schlepp bicycle stuff around, I'm more likely to buy a hot hatch, but a Miata would be lots of fun too

M
Old 01-18-2019, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post
Having owned an MG Midget, these things are HUGE comparatively

Needing to schlepp bicycle stuff around, I'm more likely to buy a hot hatch, but a Miata would be lots of fun too

M
LOL, I really wanted (and still do) another Miata but I also wanted something I could carry my bike around inside. Hence my purchase of a hot hatch, 2017 GTI with the performance package. with the rear seat folded down and the front tire pulled it's a piece of cake fitting a full bike inside.

But, as great as the GTI is.....it's no Miata.

Old 01-18-2019, 08:36 PM
Small ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
LOL, I really wanted (and still do) another Miata but I also wanted something I could carry my bike around inside. Hence my purchase of a hot hatch, 2017 GTI with the performance package. with the rear seat folded down and the front tire pulled it's a piece of cake fitting a full bike inside.

But, as great as the GTI is.....it's no Miata.

That's why I have a Honda Element in addition to the Miata.

Except I can fit two bikes in WITH the wheels on
Old 01-18-2019, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmudshark View Post
That's why I have a Honda Element in addition to the Miata.

Except I can fit two bikes in WITH the wheels on
My son has the Element.....and he won't share.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:16 PM
Small ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
My son has the Element.....and he won't share.
The Element is the most useful vehicle I’ve ever owned. The Miata is the most fun, apart from the 2002 I had a lifetime ago.