Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-14-2019, 01:42 PM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Tell me more about Zwift and Apple TV.
My understanding is it is more “plug and play” as the Apple TV detects Bluetooth devices.

Does the Apple TV also include a large-screen monitor or does one purchase the monitor separately?
Thanks.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:06 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Jays View Post
Tell me more about Zwift and Apple TV.
My understanding is it is more “plug and play” as the Apple TV detects Bluetooth devices.

Does the Apple TV also include a large-screen monitor or does one purchase the monitor separately?
Thanks.
Great video here should help:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KVkjmeW6AM

It's a module only, no monitor. Has HDMI out so can connect to any computer monitor or TV. It can handle (2) incoming channels of Bluetooth. Look at the CABLE dongle to convert all your ANT+ signals into 1 Bluetooth signal. You'll need at least a newer apple TV with siri remote or 4k to run Zwift. Honestly the 4K runs it more smoothly. No TrainerRoad application yet or Sufferfest for AppleTV.

Links:
Apple TV 4K: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-TV-4K-32GB-HD-Media-Streamer-5th-Generation/183451861499?epid=239099017&hash=item2ab69541fb:rk :1f:0
CABLE (ANT+ bridge) Dongle: https://express.google.com/u/0/produ...caAjaAEALw_wcB

Last edited by kppolich; 01-14-2019 at 02:09 PM.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsurf View Post
People with smart trainers generally ride in Erg mode, where Zwift changes the resistance, while people with dumb trainers, Zwift modifies the speed depending on terrain - in theory over the lap of a course both riders will put out the same amount of work for a given time. Zwifts alorythms are pretty good at this. However, people on smart trainers tend to climb the hills faster and descend slower than people on dumb trainers (on a climb you generally increase power and on a descent you reduce power, while on a dumb trainer, power is flat)
I disagree. I don't think that most people default to erg mode.

Yes, erg mode controls the resistance, but that is most useful when doing a defined workout. 1 minute at 200 watts, 30 seconds at 400 watts, stuff like that - the trainer gives you the exact resistance needed to do the proscribed wattage.

If you are doing a Zwift ride or race, the standard mode is preferred. Zwift still controls the trainer, but in a different way. If you're putting 200 watts into the pedals on flat terrain and then hit an 8% climb you will feel more resistance like in real life. So, if you continue at 200 watts your cadence and speed go down.

https://zwift.com/news/1971-the-what...hy-of-erg-mode
Old 01-14-2019, 05:14 PM

OK, not what this thread is about, but it is (sigh) trainer season, and this is the 2nd year I'm using Trainer Road, and I do find that it keeps me focused for the 1 to 1½ hr 'rides' and I find that they have a good choice of training plans as well and the ability to just do individual workouts.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93KgBike View Post
Set goals. Don't overtrain.
This is very, very important. Don't cook yourself for the real riding season, build towards it.

Ask me how I know...
Old 01-14-2019, 07:16 PM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by kppolich View Post
”...Great video here should help:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KVkjmeW6AM

It's a module only, no monitor. Has HDMI out so can connect to any computer monitor or TV. It can handle (2) incoming channels of Bluetooth. Look at the CABLE dongle to convert all your ANT+ signals into 1 Bluetooth signal. You'll need at least a newer apple TV with siri remote or 4k to run Zwift. Honestly the 4K runs it more smoothly. No TrainerRoad application yet or Sufferfest for AppleTV...”
Terrific guidance and concise video. I have a NIB Samsung Series 6300 HDTV (maybe 24 months old) that should be perfect for pairing with Apple TV module for Zwifting. Will just need to verify they are compatible hardware. Thanks again! :-)
Old 01-15-2019, 11:18 AM

As Zwift newcomer as well I am having some issues to get the Wahoo kickr core recognized automatically. Somehow I have to fiddle with the companion app, turn BT on/off etc... in order for the trainer to finally show up. Any tips on this ?
Old 01-15-2019, 11:41 AM

the easiest way to do Zwift is apple tv...just plug and play as the kids say...otherwise, you get into things via your computer and what it can handle, video gaming cards and all of that...plus dongles and getting close to the thing...get the apple tv box for 180 bucks and just plug it into your tv...wifi does everything else and bob's your uncle...if you have a dumb trainer just get a wahoo thing to read speed and cadence...if you have a kickr or pretty much any other smart trainer, apple will just read the whole setup wirelessly and you just go...its a pretty flawless setup if you have decent wifi set up in your place...

Last edited by cash05458; 01-15-2019 at 11:48 AM.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:02 PM

Funny. I built up a computer to run Zwift and now I am learning that the Apple TV I already have would have worked better

But anyway it's just an old computer cobbled together with spare parts. Didn't cost me a thing and it doesn't seem to have very high graphics requirements. The GPU I put in it is at least 10 years old and it runs fine.

---

I just started one of the default Zwift training plans called something like FTP builder. It's 5 hours a week which is just about perfect for me. It's definitely a good carrot at the end of the stick type of thing and helps you stay on the bike indoors.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:06 PM

meant no offense...not at all...via my computer, it took a lot of looking at first and I am a computer dummy and was told a needed a new graphics card....so went with what was easist...no argument from me if you want to use that...I do like I can run from wifi in another room without dongles or being near our computer...but whatever does the job for sure...whatever gets you on there and riding after all.

was w QUOTE=redir;2486033]Funny. I built up a computer to run Zwift and now I am learning that the Apple TV I already have would have worked better

But anyway it's just an old computer cobbled together with spare parts. Didn't cost me a thing and it doesn't seem to have very high graphics requirements. The GPU I put in it is at least 10 years old and it runs fine.

---

I just started one of the default Zwift training plans called something like FTP builder. It's 5 hours a week which is just about perfect for me. It's definitely a good carrot at the end of the stick type of thing and helps you stay on the bike indoors.[/QUOTE]
Old 01-15-2019, 01:03 PM

I have no TV or apple TV in California so this is a no go.
Old 01-15-2019, 01:30 PM

Zwift's graphics will adjust to match the hardware. Yes, it will run on an Apple TV or iPad or ye olde PC, but it looks much better on a PC with a high end graphics card.

Which may or may not matter to the user.
Old 01-15-2019, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
As Zwift newcomer as well I am having some issues to get the Wahoo kickr core recognized automatically. Somehow I have to fiddle with the companion app, turn BT on/off etc... in order for the trainer to finally show up. Any tips on this ?
Lionel, one thing that I've found is that if my iPad is turned on in the room, the Wahoo app on it will mate up with the Kickr and prevent Zwift from doing so. At least, that's what seems to be happening. I run the Wahoo app if I need to calibrate and then I turn off the iPad and the Zwift app on my computer will mate up automatically. I don't know your setup, but it could be some kind of confusion like that . . . .

HTH, Tim
Old 01-15-2019, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cash05458 View Post
meant no offense...not at all...via my computer, it took a lot of looking at first and I am a computer dummy and was told a needed a new graphics card....so went with what was easist...no argument from me if you want to use that...I do like I can run from wifi in another room without dongles or being near our computer...but whatever does the job for sure...whatever gets you on there and riding after all.

was w QUOTE=redir;2486033]Funny. I built up a computer to run Zwift and now I am learning that the Apple TV I already have would have worked better

---

I just started one of the default Zwift training plans called something like FTP builder. It's 5 hours a week which is just about perfect for me. It's definitely a good carrot at the end of the stick type of thing and helps you stay on the bike indoors.
[/QUOTE]

None taken my friend. And yeah what ever gets you on the bike. Honestly before Zwift I was lucky to last 30 minutes on the rollers.

---

The virtual world video game aspect of it helps but for me it's mostly about waiting for that little colored gateway and the warning bell that it's time to dial it up! It's like having a coach. I like to think of the Triplets of Belleville and the old lady blowing her whistle

A few years ago I actually did a lot of work in Virtual Worlds mostly in building simulations for Universities to have classes in a virtual environment and some corporate and even government entities too. As part of that experience I took part in a lot of studies some of which were psychological in nature and the power of virtual worlds is really awesome but it has to be done right. There is very real connection between users and their avatars and between avatars themselves. So much so that in our brains, studies show, we are about 90% there. IOW in the virtual world we react to each other almost exactly as we do in the real world, minus a few key point but still, it's enough 'reality' for people to get real work done in these environments. Fun stuff.

Also back in that day I started to build a virtual veledrome. I never did get it off the ground but I had conceived of a VW like Zwift, they beat me to it
Old 01-15-2019, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Porter View Post
Lionel, one thing that I've found is that if my iPad is turned on in the room, the Wahoo app on it will mate up with the Kickr and prevent Zwift from doing so. At least, that's what seems to be happening. I run the Wahoo app if I need to calibrate and then I turn off the iPad and the Zwift app on my computer will mate up automatically. I don't know your setup, but it could be some kind of confusion like that . . . .

HTH, Tim
Hum, interesting I think something like that could be happening with my phone as I seem to recall that once I turned BT off on the phone it worked on the computer....