Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-16-2019, 07:24 AM
Strong Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemoryl View Post
I always assumed that Trek currently makes most of its bikes outside the USA. What I found interesting was that the article says they make some bikes in Germany and Holland? What would those be?
Trek bought the cycle branch of the Austrian Villiger Group in 2003 (?). part of that was the former east german "Diamant" factory in Hartmannsdorf, which calls itself the oldest bicycle factory in Germany. until today, bicycles of the Diamant brand are produced there.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:52 AM

Most of Thule’s products sold in the U.S. are made in the U.S.

And of course Yakima
Old 01-16-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy View Post
Most of Thule’s products sold in the U.S. are made in the U.S.

And of course Yakima
THULE yes

Yakima moved production from US. Not sure where
Old 01-16-2019, 11:31 AM

Perhaps made in the USA frames are the most all American items for bikes these days. Lots of great builders out there.

Generally I've tried to buy "American"....but have been burned a few times. Once I purchased a new Kestrel carbon fiber frame, directly from Kestrel. On the bicycle it clearly said "California" in a few places. On the underside of the frame was a small sticker that said China. China makes lots of great items for bikes and entire bikes, but I thought somehow in my mind I was supporting someone local.

The older I get, the more I like the idea of a custom frame that really dials in my unique cycling needs.

Great thread!
Old 01-16-2019, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19wisconsin64 View Post
Perhaps made in the USA frames are the most all American items for bikes these days. Lots of great builders out there.
I'm no so sure of that. With the exception of companies like Allied and Lynskey, most USA frame builders are very low production, and a drop in the bucket in the bike market. There are number of other USA made bike product companies that have much higher production numbers, such as Phil Wood, Chris King, Timbuk2, etc.

And even for USA frames, they are often built from imported raw materials. For example, since True Temper dropped out of tube production, are there any more USA sources for steel bicycle frame tubing?
Old 01-16-2019, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
I'm no so sure of that. With the exception of companies like Allied and Lynskey, most USA frame builders are very low production, and a drop in the bucket in the bike market. There are number of other USA made bike product companies that have much higher production numbers, such as Phil Wood, Chris King, Timbuk2, etc.

And even for USA frames, they are often built from imported raw materials. For example, since True Temper dropped out of tube production, are there any more USA sources for steel bicycle frame tubing?
Vari-Wall is stepping in to the MUSA tubing space.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:25 PM

I wonder where Seven's production #s are compared to Lynskey, Allied, etc..

Same thing with IF.

Both seem to be described as "factories".

Since Trek was mentioned a few things I've read would indicate they don't even have factories overseas, they are basically having Giant manufacture their bikes.. there were pictures a few years ago of an assembly line that was clearly a Giant factory (logos on walls, employee uniforms) and the bikes on the line were Treks.

The other question I'd be super interested in regarding that Mary Burke/Scott Walker 99% thing would be... what % of Trek's 1.5 million bikes that year were sold in the US? I bet overseas sales are significant. If someone in Asia or Europe is buying a Trek is that better or worse if that bike is not made in the US?
Old 01-16-2019, 02:19 PM

great question OP

The code below identifies American bike and bike part mfctrs for the Department of Commerce. I don't know whether the plants have to be in the 50 states and US territories, or whether they can be elsewhere by treaty/trade agreement and still badged Made in America. Great question.

Non-Motor Vehicle Transportation Equipment Manufacturing as Classifed by the North American Industrial Classification System (NAICS):
336991 - Motorcycle, Bicycle, and Parts Manufacturing
Old 01-16-2019, 02:26 PM

Seven and IF are highly respected brands, production or custom. They happen to have small workforce that is specialized like a designer, welder, finisher, painter.
Old 01-16-2019, 03:13 PM

HED Cycling is located in Roseville, MN. I have no idea how much of their product is made in the USA, but I'm pretty sure they still do at least some assembly and rim extrusion / carbon work in house.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:08 PM

So say you, 1993, so say you

Source: http://mombatbicycles.com/MOMBAT/Bik...otorcycle.html
Old 01-18-2019, 12:33 AM

The issue with an American made group has always been the derailleurs or the lack thereof. The only ones I can recall were Paul Components. And even then the RD was something like $450 back in what the late 80s/early 90s?! And they didn’t shift as well as a $25 Shimano RD....Maybe Bill Shook (American Classic) or Rodger Durham (Bulleye) might have come up with something but that’s it.

Then there’s the shifters. The only ones I can think of are those Gevenalle (sp?) shifters that are kind of weird. I think those are MUSA....

Good Luck!
Old 01-18-2019, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
I don't believe there has been a US made derailleur chain ever.
In the later '90's there was a titanium chain made by a company called Vulcan, IIRC. I thought it was US made, but am not certain. It might also have been vaporware.
Old 01-18-2019, 05:35 PM

There was a White Industries rear derailleur too.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:43 PM

Also Joe's/Rhino and Precision billet proshift (including shifter).

I think the main things that have never been made are a derailleur chain and a freewheel or cassette but I could (and hope to!) be wrong.