Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-19-2019, 12:01 PM

A quick addendum on fitness fads...

I've seen a lot of them come and go. The only item (or fad) I think is very worthwhile is the FitBit. I think that's a great invention.
Old 01-20-2019, 06:23 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
As a personal trainer, I'm always preaching the merits of getting a stand-up desk, or, even better, getting out of your chair frequently. Extended sitting is antithetical to how we evolved and causes a myriad of fitness related issues.

Has any Forumite made the transition to a stand-up desk, and, if so, have you noticed any general fitness improvements?
Never walk when you can ride.
Never stand when you can sit.
Never sit when you can lie down.
-old Italian bike racer
Old 01-20-2019, 09:27 AM

has anyone tried the walking desk? compact treadmill run at low speed under a standing desk. I am interested in this.
Old 01-20-2019, 09:59 AM

One of my grad student classmates works for this company. https://www.lifespanfitness.com/

She swears by them. I'd trip and fall!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
Old 01-20-2019, 06:45 PM

Ours are all adjustable. Seating is adjustable, we purchased every kind of strange or interesting more upright seating solution for research. Almost everyone has still gone back to sitting. Not saying that makes it right, just that standing didn’t blow every bodies minds with health benefits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixieporteur View Post
IME, I've seen that desks at a fixed "standing" height get abandoned in workspaces fairly quickly. I prefer to stand, but I'm definitely in the minority.

A lot of workspaces I've been in lately have adjustable height desks and fully supportive chairs with extra height adjustment. In informal observation, these are popular, and approximately 90% of users sit at various heights, vs 10% standing at any given time.
Old 01-20-2019, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post
Ours are all adjustable. Seating is adjustable, we purchased every kind of strange or interesting more upright seating solution for research. Almost everyone has still gone back to sitting. Not saying that makes it right, just that standing didn’t blow every bodies minds with health benefits.
Thanks for the post BT. I think there's an element to the "health" benefits of standing that is often overlooked: flexibility. Granted, standing for long periods of time can tax and tire your gastrocnemius and soleus muscles (i.e. the "calves") particularly depending on which type of shoes you're wearing.

But extended sitting has disastrous consequences for the hip flexor complex, adductors, hamstrings, and can also impinge rotator cuff/shoulder flexibility.

Cycling, unfortunately, can exacerbate this...
Old 01-20-2019, 08:45 PM

I am sure it has some benefits and I am also sure that people are capable of choosing the worst of the two options. We do have some relatively active people in the office, I wonder is a more active person benefits less from standing? Well, maybe not benefits less but doesn’t need it as much ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
Thanks for the post BT. I think there's an element to the "health" benefits of standing that is often overlooked: flexibility. Granted, standing for long periods of time can tax and tire your gastrocnemius and soleus muscles (i.e. the "calves") particularly depending on which type of shoes you're wearing.

But extended sitting has disastrous consequences for the hip flexor complex, adductors, hamstrings, and can also impinge rotator cuff/shoulder flexibility.

Cycling, unfortunately, can exacerbate this...
Old 01-20-2019, 09:50 PM

Swimming laps, 3 times a week, will rid you of back pain as well as increasing your cardiovascular fitness and toning your upper body to match those cycling legs!