Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight


Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-11-2019, 11:46 AM
eBAUMANN's Avatar
eBAUMANN eBAUMANN is offline
Imshi Cycles
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 8,938
The @BAUVANN North American Tour is in the PNW!

Hey folks! Long time no see! I hope you all had a nice end of 2018 and are off to a great start in the new year.

Gonna try to keep this short (will eventually write up a full post on a yet-to-exist blog of some sort but I'm on my phone right now so it's gonna have to wait)...

After a year of trolling CL I bought a used sprinter van from an electrician in April of 2017. Over the next year or so I worked in my spare time to convert the van from an empty shell into a fully habitable camper. Fast forward to Thanksgiving 2018 - the van is complete after a month of rust repair/Bondo/painting during the wettest fall I can remember and a last minute visit to the shop.

First trip (Dec 1-22) - we (Eric + girlfriend Amanda and my cat Eddy Purrckx) hit the road south down the east coast to Florida and back up through Atlanta and Asheville. Lots of lessons learned and overall a good test run before holidays/bday with the fam in MA/NJ.

Currently, I'm sitting at the public hot spring water fill station in Hot Springs, AR - heading into the park today and then south into Texas. Dallas area on Sunday then on to Austin where we plan to spend a week or two, assuming we can find a consistent/free place to park.

From there, we head further South in Texas to Big Bend/El Paso and then west into NM/AZ and eventually north as things warm up, then back east...then west ha, we are planning on just roaming around for a year or so following the weather

You can follow along on Instagram if you like, I'll be posting photos along the way to @bauvann (www.instagram.com/bauvann) and maybe creating a blog as well for posting larger pics and thoughts/experiences.

If any of you guys live in anywhere along the way I'd love to meet up and see some of your local roads/trails! Also appreciate any hot tips for free camp locations or other POI's worth checking out. Give me a shout here or via DM on Instagram. Service can be a little spotty in places but I'll get back to you asap!
__________________
For Sale --- Instagram

Last edited by eBAUMANN; 07-24-2019 at 01:32 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-11-2019, 11:53 AM
tuscanyswe tuscanyswe is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 6,813
Ill be sure to follow your journeys. I wish you the best of times on this great adventure. Enjoy Eric!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-11-2019, 11:55 AM
jtakeda jtakeda is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: The Town
Posts: 4,356
Any idea on your time frame for the Bay Area?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-11-2019, 11:58 AM
jghall jghall is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,668
Very cool Eric. Will be sure to keep up to date with your ventures. Wish I had the cojones to do something like this.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-11-2019, 12:07 PM
dbnm dbnm is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 1,741
I'm in Albuquerque. Let me know if you need a place to park.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-11-2019, 11:58 AM
azrider's Avatar
azrider azrider is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Snottsdale, AZ
Posts: 3,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by eBAUMANN View Post
Hey folks! Long time no see! I hope you all had a nice end of 2018 and are off to a great start in the new year.

Gonna try to keep this short (will eventually write up a full post on a yet-to-exist blog of some sort but I'm on my phone right now so it's gonna have to wait)...

After a year of trolling CL I bought a used sprinter van from an electrician in April of 2017. Over the next year or so I worked in my spare time to convert the van from an empty shell into a fully habitable camper. Fast forward to Thanksgiving 2018 - the van is complete after a month of rust repair/Bondo/painting during the wettest fall I can remember and a last minute visit to the shop.

First trip (Dec 1-22) - we (Eric + girlfriend Amanda and my cat Eddy Purrckx) hit the road south down the east coast to Florida and back up through Atlanta and Asheville. Lots of lessons learned and overall a good test run before holidays/bday with the fam in MA/NJ.

Currently, I'm sitting at the public hot spring water fill station in Hot Springs, AR - heading into the park today and then south into Texas. Dallas area on Sunday then on to Austin where we plan to spend a week or two, assuming we can find a consistent/free place to park.

From there, we head further South in Texas to Big Bend/El Paso and then west into NM and eventually north as things warm up, then back east...then west ha, we are planning on just roaming around for a year or so following the weather

You can follow along on Instagram if you like, I'll be posting photos along the way to @bauvann (www.instagram.com/bauvann) and maybe creating a blog as well for posting larger pics and thoughts/experiences.

If any of you guys live in anywhere along the way I'd love to meet up and see some of your local roads/trails! Also appreciate any hot tips for free camp locations or other POI's worth checking out. Give me a shout here or via DM on Instagram. Service can be a little spotty in places but I'll get back to you asap!
Dude. Will follow for sure. Utmost respect for getting out there and 'doing it'. My sister-in-law and her dude made this jump 4 years ago and they're loving it (still)(and now make a living from it).

But knowing a bunch who've attempted/still doing this type of thing one of the biggest advantages is knowing where you can safely park for night. If you guys hit Scottsdale ya gotta free spot. If not for the free spot, then I'd still like to meet the guy who's sold me a frame or two on here

Godspeed!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-11-2019, 12:07 PM
charliedid's Avatar
charliedid charliedid is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,778
Good for you Eric.

Hope you all have a grand adventure! Cool van too.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-11-2019, 12:12 PM
Clean39T Clean39T is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 8,480
Will be following to see how the heck you trained your cat to travel in a van! Mine can't stand a 5-min ride in the car without losing his s***...literally...

Happy to show you around Portland and environs if you make it out this way too

Last edited by Clean39T; 01-11-2019 at 12:50 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-11-2019, 02:06 PM
tuscanyswe tuscanyswe is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 6,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Will be following to see how the heck you trained your cat to travel in a van! Mine can't stand a 5-min ride in the car without losing his s***...literally...

Happy to show you around Portland and environs if you make it out this way too
Eddypurrckx is no ordinary cat. Eddypurrckx is a catstronaut.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Skärmavbild 2019-01-11 kl. 21.04.10.jpg (40.8 KB, 435 views)
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-11-2019, 02:15 PM
Clean39T Clean39T is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 8,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post
Eddypurrckx is no ordinary cat. Eddypurrckx is a catstronaut.
The blep makes it even better!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-11-2019, 02:26 PM
azrider's Avatar
azrider azrider is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Snottsdale, AZ
Posts: 3,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
The blep makes it even better!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
is it bad I had to google blep?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-11-2019, 02:33 PM
Clean39T Clean39T is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 8,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider View Post
is it bad I had to google blep?
Cat people have our own language.



Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-11-2019, 12:15 PM
SpokeValley's Avatar
SpokeValley SpokeValley is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Spokane Valley, WA
Posts: 1,053
Very cool and good on ya!

If you get to Spokane, WA, (and it seems like no one comes here unless asked ;0) there's a place to park, warm showers, if you want to spread out, a full and mostly unoccupied (my office is in one bedroom) and furnished basement with your name on it.

Oh, and full access to my shop.
__________________
Not slow...not fast...half-fast
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-11-2019, 12:25 PM
Nooch Nooch is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,437
Been following, and hugely jealous.
__________________
bonCourage!cycling
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-11-2019, 12:45 PM
nobuseri nobuseri is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 481
If you make it to the Wash, DC area; let me know.

Safe, but fun travels!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.