Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-20-2024, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
I read that headline and wondered if that keeps him also locked to Alpacin Deceuninck for the duration as well? I suppose a switch to another team who wanted him would also need to negotiate a bike sponsorship deal.
No, he has a separate contract with Alpecin (he just resigned with them for 5 years). In theory he can jump teams in 2029, as long as that team wants to ride Canyon.

Smart play for Canyon - if a big budget team wants MvdP, they have to take Canyon too. Or if he retires in 5, they keep him as ambassador engaged in marketing events (Jens did that for years with Trek).
Old 03-20-2024, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair View Post
No, he has a separate contract with Alpecin (he just resigned with them for 5 years). In theory he can jump teams in 2029, as long as that team wants to ride Canyon.

Smart play for Canyon - if a big budget team wants MvdP, they have to take Canyon too. Or if he retires in 5, they keep him as ambassador engaged in marketing events (Jens did that for years with Trek).
Right...sorry I wrote that wrong regarding negotiating bike contract, meaning the team would need to ride Canyon not he would need to renegotiate.

I think it is indeed smart and were I a superstar would like that option.
Old 03-20-2024, 07:13 PM

From the consumer standpoint I like seeing riders win races on a brand I already own but I’ve never bought a brand because x rider or x team uses one. I guess I’m saying it could validate my previous purchase decision but doesn’t drive it.

At any rate, low risk decision for the contract though. They will build frames especially for him to keep him happy and if they don’t, he’ll ride something else and slap Canyon stickers on it, just like they did in the 80’s and 90’s.
Old 03-20-2024, 07:25 PM

Athletes using the products of the highest bidder is very normal. It really shows it’s more the “engine” instead of what you’re using.
I also have a job that pays my bills, so sponsorship is something I’ve never had, although I’ve had a part time photography business for years and I have brand loyalty to Canon, and previously Hasselblad. I paid for all my gear, but if for some reason the Nikon or Sony truck backed up to my house with free gear, I would switch in a heartbeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-20-2024, 09:40 PM

Not that anyone here or at Giro knows or cares, but I am very loyal to them. All my helmets are Giro, and my incoming one is as well.
No discount, no deals.
So to answer your question, yes, I could. I've been riding the same brands of bike for 8 & 12 years (respectively), so it would be easy.
Old 03-20-2024, 09:56 PM
Everything is connected

Depending on the value of the deal, it might have been more economical to give him a Richard Mille watch or two or gift him another Lambo.
Old 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM

Given his back injury, which to me doesn’t seem resolved, Canyon is taking some risk in the deal. On the plus side they are tying up probably one of the top three road riders so it may legitimize the brand which consumers can’t touch or feel at the LBS. I had the Aeroad for a while and I can say the ride was a bit rigid. It was a direct mount one so I think I only had 26’s on it. I hope somewhere the contact it is noted that he must keep his mullet for the entirety of the deal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0148.jpg (82.8 KB, 166 views)
Old 03-21-2024, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntb1001 View Post
I have brand loyalty to Canon, and previously Hasselblad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I wish you had posted this 12 hours earlier. I had never heard of Hasselblad and struggled with the NYT Connections puzzle yesterday.
Old 03-21-2024, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair View Post

Not sure how this works. If Alpecin sponsorship were to end, and another team isn't incentived enough (or rather they were incentivized more by another brand) to take Canyon, then MvdP could find himself without a team?
Old 03-21-2024, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterCogset View Post
Not sure how this works. If Alpecin sponsorship were to end, and another team isn't incentived enough (or rather they were incentivized more by another brand) to take Canyon, then MvdP could find himself without a team?
Maybe Canyon forms it's own team?
Old 03-21-2024, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
I read that headline and wondered if that keeps him also locked to Alpacin Deceuninck for the duration as well? I suppose a switch to another team who wanted him would also need to negotiate a bike sponsorship deal.
Assuming that MvdP has good managers and legal representation, there will be stipulations in the contract that cover situations like this.
Old 03-21-2024, 06:25 AM

As far as the MVDP contract with Canyon being longer term than his with Alpecin, wasn't it a similar situation with Sagan and Specialized. When he moved off Bora Hansgrohe to Total engergies, wasn't that when TE switched to specialized?

It's probably unlikely that MVDP leaves Alpecin because, as I recall he has some sort of partial ownership or minority stake in the team, but i assume if he ever were to move off the team to another one, the bike sponsorship would be a part of the negotiation.
Old 03-21-2024, 06:34 AM

Not that different from Sagan and Specialized, or even at a longer stretch, Indurain, who still rides Pinaarello after like 100 years as a rider.
Old 03-21-2024, 06:46 AM

How much do we think he is making in salary and winnings?

With the flightiness/short period and risk of instant career ending injuries in the Pro Peloton this kind of deal seems like an absolute no brainer instant yes for any rider who has at least 2 brain cells.

Moreso for the average Pro than him.. they just don't make that much money relative to how short their career is. There's that small group of team leaders that make millions but the rest of them make pretty pedestrian amounts of money relative to the short career.
Old 03-21-2024, 07:09 AM

Sounds like a good thing for van der Poel and I hope he's satisfied with the deal and continues to crush it.

But no, this is not at all relatable and I definitely could not be in this sort of position.